BNW/BR 2007 hsc (1 Viewer)

tau281290

HSC
What are some differences in Huxley's and Scott's portrayals?

What are some of the key differences in the portrayal of the individual and the natural world?

I don't see many differences that can be discussed for one entire essay. Please help.

HSC
you need to go into much more detail but basically in bnw the wild has been isolated in the savage reservation. in br the wild has been eradicated. also by the individual discuss the differences between some of the key characters such as Bernhard, John the Savage and Deckhard.

CardCheat

Under house arrest.
HSC
tau281290 said:
What are some differences in Huxley's and Scott's portrayals?

What are some of the key differences in the portrayal of the individual and the natural world?

I don't see many differences that can be discussed for one entire essay. Please help.
i think that both decker and deckard are pretty cool guise

*Baby-K*

HSC
we had a similar question in the half-yearlies, I asked my teacher about it and he told me that by discussing differences you can also discuss the similarities so that you are presenting a contrast between the texts.

dolbinau

HSC
I personally use Humanity "In the wild" as its disconnect from nature/loss of natural rhythms etc... and I've never thought about using it to literally been wilderness (Savage Reservation etc..)

Am I in the minority?

It makes it easy because I basically say that both texts portray "The wild" but the way they do this and why is a result of their different contexts. Then I link form>themes>setting etc.. relate them to values.

lionking1191

HSC
dolbinau said:
I personally use Humanity "In the wild" as its disconnect from nature/loss of natural rhythms etc... and I've never thought about using it to literally been wilderness (Savage Reservation etc..)

Am I in the minority?
this dissociation is manifested in, and represented by the literal wilderness isn't it? anyway no your thesis is quite safe. it pretty much toes the rubric which is always okay

dolbinau

HSC
lionking1191 said:
this dissociation is manifested in, and represented by the literal wilderness isn't it? anyway no your thesis is quite safe. it pretty much toes the rubric which is always okay
I guess you could say it is 'manifested' in the literal wilderness of both texts, but as long as people are careful to make sure that nature (or lack thereof) isn't the only thing they talk about - this was picked up in the marking guidelines one year when I read people explored only the settings of both texts in detail.

lionking1191

HSC
dolbinau said:
I guess you could say it is 'manifested' in the literal wilderness of both texts, but as long as people are careful to make sure that nature (or lack thereof) isn't the only thing they talk about - this was picked up in the marking guidelines one year when I read people explored only the settings of both texts in detail.
how do you talk about the setting for a whole essay? oO

Monika D

HSC
key differences that i discuss are:

*BNW portrays a world where the internal environment (of humans) is eradicaded, whereas BR portrays a world where the external environment is eradicated (constantly raining, real animals are rare, only plants seen are bonsai trees etc).

*differences in context - this is one you will definitely have to know - how the context has affected how the worlds are portrayed (eg. in BNW, eugenics had recently been introduced, and in BR there was an uprise in mass consumption).

lionking1191

HSC
Monika D said:
key differences that i discuss are:

*BNW portrays a world where the internal environment (of humans) is eradicaded, whereas BR portrays a world where the external environment is eradicated (constantly raining, real animals are rare, only plants seen are bonsai trees etc).

*differences in context - this is one you will definitely have to know - how the context has affected how the worlds are portrayed (eg. in BNW, eugenics had recently been introduced, and in BR there was an uprise in mass consumption).
wouldn't BR also exhibit an internal eradication of humanity? with replicants 'more human than human' and deckard depicted as a cold-blooded killer wouldn't you argue that humanity has lost its defining capacity for emotion and compassion?

Monika D

HSC
lionking1191 said:
wouldn't BR also exhibit an internal eradication of humanity? with replicants 'more human than human' and deckard depicted as a cold-blooded killer wouldn't you argue that humanity has lost its defining capacity for emotion and compassion?
in BNW they dont express the human condition due to their conditioning, whereas in BR they still do express bits of the human condition such as roy wishing not to die

lionking1191

HSC
Monika D said:
in BNW they dont express the human condition due to their conditioning, whereas in BR they still do express bits of the human condition such as roy wishing not to die
roy isn't human though, doesn't that emphasise how humanity has lost touch with the natural world and processes where a manufactured entity displays more emotion than actual humans?

dolbinau

HSC
I would agree Lionking the replicants are an important in 'blurring the boundaries' between humanity/machine or displaying the lack of humanity in 'humans'; Roy's morning of Pris' death or his need to self preserve I think are good examples.

Talking about blurring the boundaries (rather than just writing off that humanity is lost) works well when you consider what the word "nexus" means too:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nexus

tau281290

HSC
Lots of discussion here, thx for that. But I think i will have to call the HSC hotline for some more points. r they any good?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
especially in individual vs natural world, that's pretty easy to answer.

consider the conformism in bnw, henry ford's production lines, pavlov's conditioning, all of which are aspects of technology which has contributed to the demise of individualism within the brave new world. also you can cotnrast john the savage with the people in the brave new world; his shakepsearean values and idealistic beliefs are very much individual, but ironically, he is from the natural world.
in blade runner again consider deckard and how he's a victim of the dehumanisation of society; consider he is forced into the 'retirement'.

individualism is an aspect of humanity, so again, that links back to the basic thesis of ITW found in the rubric.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)