Thread: what is textual intengrity???

HSC

Exclamation what is textual integrity???

What is textual integrity? (i'm doing In the Skin of a Lion if thats any help...?)
    Last edited by bec_j_m; 3 Aug 2004 at 8:01 AM. Reason: mistake

HSC
    i'm doing skin as well.
    textual integrity = how the text interwine with each other. eg the linking of stories of different characters.

HSC

Textual Integrity

I'm doing King Lear, but textual integrity is normally how much a reading/production of a certain text is "the same" as the original, or in say, a novel, it would be to do with the intertextuality most likely.
    Secondary Teacher available for tutoring and consultation in all levels of Junior and Senior English and History.

HSC
    N/A
    Isn't that more along the lines of transformation?

I have another one:

when you think about integrity, think about it firstly in a general sense- what defines integrity in a person? It's about depth, what the author's saying, how they're saying it, and why this particular text has so much more integrity than text B

With ITSOAL, you could talk about how the novel is not only a story, but also a comment on the marginalised- Ondaatje is a huge political person and he's often said "literature is politics"- you only have to look at English Patient to see this. He romanticises the work of tanneries through lyrical prose- making those despised by humanity seem like heros. His book is so much more than just a story, although if you're looking for specifics, I'm afraid I can't help you... haven't touched the book since like, 6 months ago! lol. Better study.. my english trial is on monday... :S

HSC
    From my understanding (I did it last year so I'm a little rusty) textual integrity is where the parts of the story fit together, and still make sense together. King Lear (the text I did) has integrity because the values together all make sense, it's not just a mish mash of whatever.

For keeping textual integrity in this section, look at the values you're drawing out of the text you're doing and ask whether or not applying those values throws the values already set by the text. Example: If I tried to claim that King Lear was a matriarchy (obviously a dumb example, but bear with me) then I would be denying the strong patriarchal power system which holds together the centre of the text. So even if there were isolated lines I could point to and say "HA! Matriarchy!" it would be denying the integrity of the text. And saying King Lear is a matriarchy migh be original, but it's dumb because textual integrity comes above originality. (So don't make up crap to sound clever if it doesn't fit the text!)

Hope I've been helpful.

Good luck!

HSC

Re: what is textual intengrity???

King LEAR
    textual integrity is definitely how consistent with the original the interprettation is. eg. feminism focusses on gender, low textual integrity

HSC

textual integrity is a bullshit phrase that BOS invented that is virtually impossible to define.

All definitions so far are basically correct, yet very very different. I hate it.

Also: Textual integrity is the ability of a text to withstand scrutiny throughout time and through different contexts. The fact that KL is reexamined throughout time and presented through different readings is a testament to its textual integrity.

HSC

HSC

The understanding i have of textual integrity is basically what features of the text hold it together so that it withstands the test of time.

I'm studying Citizen Kane so its textual integrity is due to its Universal themes, innovative cinematic techniques, non-linear narrative structure, ambiguity and multiple interpretations

President of the World sammi260's Avatar
    HSC

Lol my definition was completely different. Its along the lines of how true different readings of the texts are to the original (im doing KL). Yeh i cbf explaining more.

HSC

so i dun get it... why do people talk about textual integrity in their essays? are they essential?? is it one of the requirements for module B??

i thought u just need ur own reading and someone elses then finish ...... . . .. . how does textual integrity relate to module B?
    B Civ. Eng./Comm.(Actl studies) III @ UNSW

Physics =90
    Chemistry =95
    Maths 4u =95
    Maths 3u =97

BOOKS FOR SALE: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...28#post4976128

Tutoring for chemistry, physics, 3/4u maths Visit: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-95-3u-math-97

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by kooltrainer
    so i dun get it... why do people talk about textual integrity in their essays? are they essential?? is it one of the requirements for module B??

i thought u just need ur own reading and someone elses then finish ...... . . .. . how does textual integrity relate to module B?
    Textual integrity is probably the most IMPORTANT requirement in Module B. And you should not even be using the term 'readings', rather personal insights.

Look at the "Bobness - Lear personal response" thread just below this one (on the main page).
    Bachelor of Arts (English) / Bachelor of Laws II UNSW

The intellect of man is forced to choose
    Perfection of the life, or of the work,
    And if it take the second must refuse
    A heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
    William Butler Yeats
    The Choice

HSC

Thumbs up Re: what is textual intengrity???

some of these comments have already helped me so much! i was getting confused with textual integrity but this cleared it up thanks!!!

HSC

Textual integrity is a really broad term but, put very simply it's a measure of how well the text is written and how well it speaks to and is received by its audience, both during its time and today i.e. withstanding the test of time etc...

Cadet
    HSC

Meaning given out by sydney morning hearald. "Textual integrity: The unity of a text; its coherent use of form and language to produce an integrated whole in terms of meaning and value."

HSC

just in response to those people who were saying its about how true to the original interpretations are.... that can work with Hamlet etc.
    But im doing Gwen Harwoods poetry and that just doesnt work with it.
    Textual integrity is like... how the integrated themes (which you understnad through others' interpretations) help a text withstand the pass of time with their enduring relevance.
    xxx

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by mickii_ View Post
    Textual integrity is a really broad term but, put very simply it's a measure of how well the text is written and how well it speaks to and is received by its audience, both during its time and today i.e. withstanding the test of time etc...
    exactly right

HSC

i posted this in another thread about textual integrity but here it is anyway...

we had a huge confusion thing at school about textual integrity and after a lot of discussion by the teachers, they explained it to the whole grade

textual integrity is a word coined by the board of studies. it is used in a way that describes the text as a whole, the entirety of it, how all the elements add up to make a text good.

A composer cannot "use textual integrity", or "establish textual integrity". Rather it is what the responder draws from a text after critically examining it.

So a speech, like any text, will have textual integrity, if all the elements add up to an integrated, substantial whole... look at the words - textual integrity - how well the elements of the text (techniques, ideas etc.) are integrated and the quality of those elements and the integration

i hope that made sense...

also, we were told to avoid using the term unless it was specifically asked for in the question
    Dana Banana

University of Sydney - B. Economics/ B. Laws

HSC

haha, well im no english whizz trust me, but my extraordinarily weak understanding is basically:

if the common themes can be related and understood by many readers throughout time, a text has textual integrity.
    Like for hamlet, the themes of revenge, roles of women, deceit and filial obligation while evident at the time the play was written, can also be applied and understood in the modern age.

i dunno how right that is...but it works for me.
    In the meantime, i think i will stick to things like physics!!!
    Mathematics PhysicsAdvanced English:burn:ChemistrySOR 1uModern History:rofl: Extension History

:jaw:

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by danal353 View Post
    i posted this in another thread about textual integrity but here it is anyway...

we had a huge confusion thing at school about textual integrity and after a lot of discussion by the teachers, they explained it to the whole grade

textual integrity is a word coined by the board of studies. it is used in a way that describes the text as a whole, the entirety of it, how all the elements add up to make a text good.

A composer cannot "use textual integrity", or "establish textual integrity". Rather it is what the responder draws from a text after critically examining it.

So a speech, like any text, will have textual integrity, if all the elements add up to an integrated, substantial whole... look at the words - textual integrity - how well the elements of the text (techniques, ideas etc.) are integrated and the quality of those elements and the integration

i hope that made sense...

also, we were told to avoid using the term unless it was specifically asked for in the question
    You are about right. "Textual integrity" is that cohesion of both thematic elements and techniques (characterisation, allusion, language ect.) that grants the text significant/resonant qualities.

Therefore, in an essay you are likely to be asked a question concerning specific themes or techniques, thus you are to write an essay that expresses how these aforementioned themes are integrated with others to grant the text significance in your view.
    Last edited by 27GV; 10 Sep 2009 at 8:37 PM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola1616 View Post
    textual integrity which to my mind is a bitch of a concept. It's one of those things that has definitions everywhere but its very hard to work out its practical application.
    I thought this was exactly what i thought of textual integrity!!
    • Chemistry
    • Advanced English
    • Music
    • Ancient History
    • Extension History
    • Maths

Thread Information