Using other prescribed texts as related texts? (1 Viewer)

pattycake333

HSC
Does anyone know what the rule is over using other prescribed texts as related texts?

For example, if I was doing 'Antony and Cleopatra' as my prescribed text, could I do '1984' as a related text? Or is this not allowed?

Or if i decided to use a film version of 1984? (note: I know it doesn't exist) would that still count?

Any replies would be helpful

Cerry

HSC
There's no rule against it, but it's frowned upon. And according to our teacher, who's a senior marker, you'll probably be expected to go into a LOT of depth, past what you'd be doing if you did it as a set text, to get a good mark.
The film of a book that's a prescribed text, I'm not sure about. It's probably not as frowned upon, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
that makes no sense, seeing as your essays should be weighted more towards your set texts.
if anything, you should be expected to go into less depth.

Zephyrio

HSC
You can do it.

But I would suggest not doing it, as it may seem as if you are "double-dipping". The whole idea of choosing your related texts is going out there, reading widely and seeing if it applies to your module. I think it goes against the spirit of the syllabus if you are merely getting another study guide for a prescribed text and using that instead of having been left to your own devices.

Cannot believe I was defending the English syllabus, which makes students learn for the sake of getting marks, and not English itself. (Advanced, anyway).

EDIT: esp. on my 500th post.

Zephyrio

HSC
u-borat said:
that makes no sense, seeing as your essays should be weighted more towards your set texts.
Actually, your essays should treat your related texts with the same depth and focus as your set ones.

HSC
I'm pretty sure you can't use any prescribed advanced/standard texts as your additional, and why would you want to anyway?

Cerry

HSC
u-borat said:
Everything is weighted the same, actually. But I didn't explain myself very well. Not the answers themselves. The concepts that you're looking at need to be more indepth than the concepts that would be looked at in a class. It's basically to stop people from just using books that they can find study guides for, rather than finding their own texts and thinking about them for themselves.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
pattycake333 said:
Or if i decided to use a film version of 1984? (note: I know it doesn't exist) would that still count?
I think you will find that it does exist.

xjellibeanx

HSC
I was wondering something along a similar line, but rather i have done an extra text which I only realised today is part of the adv syllabus...but I haven't actually studied it as one of my set texts. As the markers don't know what other texts you are doing, I am guessing it would be frowned upon in the same way as if you were doing it then...?

N

Nicola1616

Don't do it - the whole idea of related text is that you have gleened the 'relationship' not had it pointed out to you by being on the syllabus.

Also about relative depth -I'm sure that has to be the same between prescribed and related texts - why would you want to appear to have only a shallow grasp of one? But I understood that as far as quantity goes - you need to devote about 60% of an essay to prescribed text and then say 20% for each related text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)