CRIME FICTION- my last hope! (1 Viewer)

kinka11

HSC
To put it out there- I HAVE NO CREATIVE WRITING ABILITY!!! so dont ask why i do ext eng but i do and i neeeeeed to do well cause its like the only subject of mine that scales well. SO I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

I am down with the essay all good

but i need help with a story? any ideasssss anything? its for crime fiction so basically its a crime is committed couple of suspects and voila thats the criminal.

IM DESPERATE PEOPLE!!! and my teacher is of no help! i dont have/not allowed to watch tv and there is no time to read books- ive tried.

So anything, im not asking u to post ur own stories (that wud b nice) but just some plots or general help!!!:uhoh:

love u foreverrrr

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Haven't you done one for your half yearly or trial? Maybe we could help develop that?

kinka11

HSC
haha yeaa i have one only got me an 18 causeit wasnt "mysterious" enough

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Thats ok. Try and think of a simple plot (victim, criminal, investigator, setting, clues) etc and then you can work on making it really good. With a basic shell of a story then you can make it good by writing with flair and finesse (and mystery). Also one of the example creative stories in the example books has one where a candidate wrote something like the first chapter to a crime fiction novel.. which seemed like a good idea too. They received high range marks. So dont make it too complicated, focus on writing with flair and engaging the reader.

JDurrant

HSC
Also, you don't have to develop the whole mystery/crime. Set up the detective and context and then maybe introduce the crime as a cliffhanger? Or simply do the conclusion of a crime, with complications of course.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Yeah so maybe you can show a murder or something in really thorough detail and then move onto the initial stages of the investigative process, but you don't have to complete it fully.

kinka11

HSC
haha are you serious!!! god i feel stupid now. thanks guysss xxx

icecoffee

HSC
Ok i'm an idiot! I've written a few stories but they're all very cliche with very little suspense! Any help at all would be much appreciated. I've got two ideas and have no idea where to go or what to do with them.

So my first idea is set at a carnival/fair but im not exactly sure what the murder will be, all i know is there's gonna be a dead body somewhere and the social commentary for this one is that we as bystanders, are drawn to the concept of death/murder/crime, ie, we find it interesting, almost entertaining (any other message is welcome).

My second idea is based an ordinary woman who kills her neighbour or husband or someone over something really stupid and trivial like he stepped on her flower bed or something like that. I don't have a social commentary for this yet but i thought the idea had some potential.

I just need help expanding these, or bouncing around ideas...

seano77

Walk On
HSC
I like your first idea better.. maybe you could investigate the bystanders to see why they didn't do anything or have them presenting conflicting evidence as to who the killer was?

JDurrant

HSC
Do we really need "social commentary"? I know we have to use the conventions but i'm just trying to write a kickass story.

Does it have to 'mean' anything?

icecoffee

HSC
@ seano77: thanks very much for your input! I'm having trouble starting off at the moment and i'm not sure where it's going either. Hopefully i'll get somewhere soon! :p

@ JDurrant: i'm not sure if we need 'social commentary' but my teacher was stressing it in my class, saying that everything we described had to go back to out commentary and/or values. At the same time, we were suppose to be descriptive, use conventions, subvert them and write an interesting, suspenseful plot. This is essentially why i have been putting it off! ><

The exemplar samples i have read are all really good which is making it really hard for me right now as my writing seems too forced. *sigh*

kinka11

HSC
me to thats what im so worried about this exam. my essay is like so good and my story.. wateva i write seems cliche and ive read the exemplars so its like oh god i cant do that! im thinking ill just wing it or write a revenge tragedy one haha

icecoffee

HSC
I've been trying to write this damn story for days and i'm getting nowhere! At least your essay is good, i got a lame 21/25 for it! I want to fix it but i'm more worried about the story. I'd like to wing it but i know i'll freak and get nothing done! lol

JDurrant

HSC
How bout we post up some intros or something so we can see where we are all at?

I'll start, let me know what you guys think.

"I was sitting in a bar on Western Avenue. It was around midnight and I was in my usual confused state. I mean, y’know, nothing works right: the women, the jobs, the no jobs, the weather, the bets. Finally you just sit in a kind of wounded state and linger like you're on the bus stop bench waiting for death.

Well, I was sitting there and here comes this one with long dark hair, a good body, sad brown eyes. I didn't turn on for her. I ignored her even though she had taken the stool next to mine when there were a dozen other empty seats. In fact, we were the only ones in the bar except for the bartender. She ordered a dry wine. Then she asked me what I was drinking."

kinka11

HSC
i think what im doing to do is get myself a story bank- alot of closed settings, suspects doing mysterious things, then a couple of detecives- mostly female as markers love this and then kinda work through past papers and see how easy it is to just wing it but with some sort of idea.

I thought of one the other day-

set in a moving train and all of a sudden a dead body falls out from one of those compartments they have- maybe it could b the guards compartment and the deas guard- anyway its similar to the social commentary above with like we are all bystanders and just love crime. So i would fully desrcibe the crime and the people in the carriage as suspects.. right this is going no where haha godddd im screwed. how would anyone else finish this story? cause i wanted to kinda end it with like not in these words but "the doors opened, signalling we had arrived at the station and all suspected souls walked off this train. the murderer never to be found again" wow i suck
haha xxx

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Keep your stories based around the conventions of the genre, because after all thats the broad module we are studying, 'genre'. So I guess social commentary is part of that but remember other conventions like mystery, a crime 'obviously', subversions, denouement, suspense, femme fatale, noir, locked rooms etc. Chuck a couple of those in and write with flair and you'll well.

I suggest having two or three scenarios with setting, characters (victim, crim, investigator) and a simple plot ready to go.

patty4848

HSC
and if in doubt at the end, or you have 30 seconds to go and haven't solved the crime... leave a few lines and write "the butler did it" =D

Man Utd 4ever

HSC
well i have no idea of anythin.. i have a slight idea of who my detective is but apart from that i got nothin... dont know what to do for my essay either... therefore i am not lookin forward 2 tomorrow

HSC
So it's fine not to necessarily "solve" the crime?

I'd rather talk about the crime in question/setting/detective and a bit on the suspects and investigations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)