Crime Fic Past Question Stockpile & Discussion (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hi all, I just thought I'd create a thread that puts as many crime fiction questions for us to practice/talk about in the one place. If you have any questions please contribute - the more the merrier!
CSSA 2005
Analytical Question:How does crime fiction create value for the responder?
Creative Question:Write an imaginative piece which reflects crime fiction.
CSSA 2002
Analytical Question:Crime fiction provides a solution for the crime but not for the more complex problems raised in the texts.
Examine this view in relation to TWO texts and one other related material of your own choosing.

HSC 2001
Analytical Question:How do the conventions of the genre you have studied for this module limit or support the impact of the composer’s vision?
In your discussion, draw on your knowledge of at least TWO of the prescribed texts and other related texts.

Creative Question:Imagine you are an external investigator inquiring into the circumstances and revelations of a crime case in ONE of the prescribed texts. In your answer, clearly identify which case you are investigating.
Write in script form (for radio, TV, film or play) your questioning of any character from that text. The aim of your inquiry is to have the character reflect on and justify his or her actions in the case.
Draw on what you have observed about the skills of investigative questioning in your reading of the prescribed texts and other related texts.

HSC 2002
Analytical Question:One view is that ‘The appeal of crime fiction is in its teasing-out of order from disorder.’
What do you see as the grounds for the enduring popularity of crime fiction? In your answer, refer to at least TWO of the prescribed texts as well as other texts of your own choosing.

Creative Question:Use the following as the opening to a piece of writing within or about the genre you have studied:
Sometimes the best weapon is . . .
You may write in any form you choose.

HSC 2003
Analytical Question:Genre sets a framework of conventions.
How useful is it to understand texts in terms of genre? Are texts more engaging when they conform to the conventions, or when they challenge and play with the conventions?
In your answer, draw on your knowledge of at least TWO of the prescribed texts from your Elective, as well as other texts of your own choosing.

Creative Question:‘You’ve stolen my character!’
Imagine you are a central character in one of the prescribed texts. You resent the way your character has been manipulated by the composer. Write a reflection on how you think things could have unfolded.
In your response, you should draw on your knowledge and understanding of the conventions of crime fiction.

HSC 2004
Analytical Question:Use this text[its a picture of Sherlock looking at something thru a magnifying glass] as the starting point for an essay in which you evaluate the diversity and appeal of crime fiction.
In your essay, draw on your knowledge and understanding of TWO prescribed texts as well as other texts of your own choosing.

Creative Question: ‘Do I dare disturb the universe?’
(T. S. ELIOT)
Use this line as the basis for a piece of imaginative writing within the genre you have studied.
In your response, draw on your knowledge and understanding of the elective you have studied in Module A.

HAHS 2002
Creative Question:
Using the accompanying photograph as a stimulus, compose the opening of a new crime fiction text that reflects your understanding of the genre. (picture of a guy staring through a lattice kinda thing, Later we got told that it was a guy in a paddywagon cos he raped kids or something)
RGHS 2005
Analytical Question:"Crime Fiction poses questions about how meaning is created and how the composer plays with audience reaction to text."
Explore how the composers of Crime Fiction manipulate aspects of the genre to communicate meaning to the audience.
In your response draw on your knowledge of at least TWO of the prescribed texts from your Elective as well as at least one other of your own choosing.

Analytical Question No.2:The Board of Studies has decided to evaluate the text list for the genre you have studied in this elective.
Compose a letter to the Board of Studies detailing why any ONE of the prescribed texts you have studied should be retained on the basis of its relevance to contemporary society and as an example of the genre.

HBHS 2005
Analytical Question:"The worth of a text is determined by its ability to creatively manipulate the existing conventions to communicate new and meaningful ideas which are valued."
To what extent is this true in the study of your module? Refer to your prescribed text and at least two other texts of your own choosing

TAFE- Gymea Campus 2005
Analytical Question:
The mystery and its solution by the careful accretion of evidence is the primary focus of crime fiction.
How does this account for the popularity inherent in the genre?
In your answer refer to TWO prescribed texts and at least two other texts of your own choosing.

Creative Question:
'The door opened to reveal..."
Write an imaginary text using this quote as the first line.
Your composition must reflect issues arising from the study of your elective.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
Evan, here're my questions - ICS Cordeux 2005 Trial.

Analytical Question:
The radio station 2HSC.05 is running a series of interviews to assist HSC students. The current interview is focusing on the genre of crime fiction.

The beginning of the interview is presented below.

Mike Lesser: Good evening, students. This is your host, Mike Lesser. Tonight I am interviewing two students, Sam and Nathan, who hold differning viewpoints on the extent to which the texts studied for this elective share ideas and values associated with the conventions of crime fiction.

Sam, I know you believe there are some conventions all 'crime fiction' texts must demonstrate. Could you begin by explaining one of these and how it is represented in the texts you have studied?
Complete the text of this interview in which you critically evalutate the similarities and differences in the texts you have studied and how they contribute to the notion of crime fiction as a genre.

In your interview, draw on your knowledge of at least TWO of the prescribed texts from your elective, as well as other texts of your own choosing.

Creative Question:
Compose a text that is based on an idea suggested by a quotation from ONE of the prescribed texts you have studied in Module A.

You must use the quotation as your heading and indicate which from which prescribed text it comes.

In your response, draw on your knowledge and understanding of the elective you have studied in Module A (that'd be Crime Fiction).

You may write in any form you choose.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Thanks Nick:D *awards candy* That puts us at around 17 practice questions - yaya!
So I would guess with the interview that you went with Skull and Hound by discussing how each text interprets conventions? And from there discussing how in your relateds the conventions have shifted over time thanks to diff. social values and such?(*cough* getting the ball rolling *cough*)

nwatts

HSC
Nah, Skull is an awful text. I've used most of my notes for it as cheap carpet. Don't tell my English teacher. :p

I gave each speaker a thread and went from there. Sam was saying that genre is fluid and changes with context (as you said) and that there are fundamental principles that set a framework for the genre - irrespective of context, which is why something like Doyle's Holmes stories can be classified in the same catagory as the far more postmodernist Anil's Ghost.

Nathan essentially refuted it, claiming that the concept of genre limited composers' ability to express fluently, because they were tied by convention and structure. He pushed that crime is ALWAYS a vehicle for other focuses (worked very well with my texts), and that the concept of genre needs to be eradicated.

It then evolved into a debate on genre and its relevance to society. :p

I used The Maltese Falcon, Anil's Ghost and The Real Inspector Hound. Scored a 17 (I think) because I left out one whole text. :( Misread the question. :( Woe is me. I lost marks for the usual "not enough detail, too much argument" too!

See creative task here :p - http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=82517 and aftermath here - http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=1887088&postcount=2.

Illidan

HSC
thanx. i ran out. these should keep me going for a while i hope.

Dragie

HSC
Hey guys, I dunno what the analytical question for HSC 2002 means...lol We got it in class the other day and I didn't know it then either. Someone care to explain...PLEASE :d

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
One view is that ‘The appeal of crime fiction is in its teasing-out of order from disorder.’
What do you see as the grounds for the enduring popularity of crime fiction? In your answer, refer to at least TWO of the prescribed texts as well as other texts of your own choosing.
Regarding the quote, I think this is a nice place to start: http://www.salon.com/books/int/1998/02/cov_si_26int.html

Then you'd argue why crime fiction has been enduringly popular (linking to whether you agree or disagree with the quote) and maintain your argument by using your prescribed and supplementary texts.

Dragie

HSC
Oh woops... I didn't read the 'one view...' bit. Lol I get it now

blind_cat

HSC
This was the 2005 HSC creative question on CF
“I’ll commit the perfect crime: a murder with no trace, no clues, no body. With no evidence, there can be no solution. As if nothing happened. No motive is to be discerned. Have I ever committed a crime if it cannot be pieced together? If its story cannot be told? No-one can outwit me, not even you.”
Write an essay evaluating the ideas, conventions and value in CF expressed in this thought. refer to suppl text, Anil's Ghost and Real Inspector Hound or The Big Sleep
We got it as a 3u submission assessment, but i don't know how to talk about it with fluidity, and most of its about context. Can any of you give me a specific example.
i wrote stuff like e.g. hard boiled-film noir genre- evil permeates and appearance of the 'thug' underworld might of established a feeling of complacency among criminals (tbs). Similar to AG, where set in the controversial context of the Sri Lankan poltical war, mass murders had gone unnoticed consequently crime increased etc. But with this contemporary genre , i could talk about the woman sleuth, believeable settings, plot and characterisation, the graphic violence and the plot reflecting society but how is that revealed in the thought of the imagined character?

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
I dont even know how I would approach some of those creative questions...

external investigators, and all that funky stuff.

WHY. WHY cant they just say 'Write a crime fiction story.'

Guh. Yuck.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I'd encourage any 06ers out there to share any trial questions they may have been given in the past months as this is an excellent chance to hone your skills before the HSC and perhaps gain some further insight into how the subject is examined.

paulellis

HSC
there seems to be two types of questions for the essays, one of which assesses crime fiction (emphasis on values etc) and one type which explores the genre notion ('how useful is it to understand texts in terms of genre?'). i've done all my preparation for a specific genre study, with crime simply acting as a vehicle for this - the catholic trial was encouraging, but last years HSC gives me worries they've reverted back to simply looking at crime-fiction ('Evaluate the extent to which these thoughts express the conventions, ideas and values of CF'). anyone want to make a guess at where they're taking ext 1 this year?

i know that you should always work a bit of genre theory into any answer, but it seems to me there are some pretty drastic differences for answering the different types of questions, especially considering related text selection and whether to choose hound as one of my prescribed...

case88

HSC
hm, yeah... i've got two different sets of notes, one on "genre" and one on crime fiction. but the problem is that the difficult (or should i say, more sophisticated?) question will probably require me to amalgamate the two...
but, as mentioned before, last year's essay question was so specific to the elements of crime fiction... whereas my trial question demanded a genre-oriented response.
i don't exactly know how to prepare for the HSC, so i'm just relying on exam-time rush/adrenalin to force something innovative out...

fishy89sg

HSC
sorry to double up but is there a thread like this for english advanced!!?!?!!?!?

Ditzy

HSC
how would you attack this question ?

what "value" is it referring to ??

In class we only studied how CF is adapted to different contexts and why they maintain there appeal... :S

princesskt

HSC
hmm value.. i have no idea, i have my catholic trial for extension 2moro, i hope the question wont be too tricky :S:S:S

elle148

HSC
My extension exam is tomorrow.

So basically we could get asked a question on the crime fiction genre (conventions, etc) or history of crime fiction?

as well as a creative writing?

i'm so messed up for this, i'm freaking out!!

elle148

HSC
Ditzy said:
how would you attack this question ?

what "value" is it referring to ??

In class we only studied how CF is adapted to different contexts and why they maintain there appeal... :S
well i looked up synonyms for value

and i found stuff like "significance" and "importance"

so basically that would be methods used to make a text important to the reader, right? and then you could draw in the texts you studied and say how the composers of those texts did it... right? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)