07 Gendered Languageers! (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
HEY! PEOPLE WHERE ARE YOU?

my school can't be the only one doing gendered language around here can it? cmon you guys we're at a disadvantage as it is what with the lack of resources and textbooks on gendered language etc, the least we could do is help each other out. See if we're all wrong, then we'll all be right...

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
well obviously either no one else in the whole entire world does gendered language, or they don't come here, or they're too paranoid/up themselves to post or they have nothing to say, or they understand the topic thoroughly and it is only me who does not.
lovely.

tis Beck

HSC
Hey, hi, yeah, um, wow.. i do Gendered langguage... There's one other guy in my class and i think thats it... WTF:confused:... Honestly we're a dying breed....
Do you have anything you could share that may help?
Cheers.

woodentoy

HSC
princesskt said:
My school was gonna do it...but yeah we're doing Crime Fic now
Hahaha...I love how unhelpful this post is...in a funny way.

Umm, anyway, my grade's doing Crime Fic too. I actually hadn't heard of Gendered Language as an option. Sounds like a bitch, though.

Good luck with that.

princesskt

HSC
woodentoy said:
Hahaha...I love how unhelpful this post is...in a funny way.

Lol, I just remember last week our teacher said we were going to do it but he had talked to other people and they advised him against it coz it didnt scale well coz not many ppl did it or something :S i dont know :S so sorry im not helpful lol

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
lol WOW i have found someone! *clings to "tis Beck"'s leg
lol jks jks
yes lets share info!
and in regard to what other ppl said...our school apparently did it cos its so obscure that it scales better? apparently crime fic is considered "low brow" - cos we used to do that topic until this year... *grumbles*
i heard there's 3 schools doing this topic...wow -.-
well anyway our school's doing:
Tannen (duh!)
The FLoor of Heaven ( literally no one does this text)
and i think...Elizabeth
we did a little bit on 12th night for some reason too...

georgierawr

HSC
hey my schools doing gendered language as welll
elizabeth twelfth night and tannen.
we didnt get a choice in the matter, but its going alright.
good to see we're not the only ones out there.
what are you guys using as related material?

:confused:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
we did "power in gender' in yr 11 as our AOS topic for advanced so that's helping a lot , bascially because my teacher is useless i'm surviving off my advanced notes -_- how fucked is that.
we're doing tannen, The floor of Heaven and Elizabeth but for some reason our largest weighted assessment was on Twelfth night and we didn't even study it!!!!!! my fucking teacher is screwed, in case i didn't make that clear already.
do we have to use a lot of quotes in our essays to back up our claims or you reckon it'd be about the same as in advanced?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
probably not actually seeing as our teacher is crazy and never fucuses on anything for more than a few moments at a time. which just leads to a whole bunch of confused kids. seriously our class hates ext english and we're planning on teaching ourselves after the trials, it has become that bad.

lbell34

HSC
N/A
our school does gendered language too- so thats one more school. there's like 10 of us in the class.
what have you guys got for related material?? there's almost too many options, anything can fit in.

molly91

HSC
Hey,
All you now ex-extensioners, hope you all went well!! Felt confident anyway.
I've just started Gendered Language for '08, so any notes you've got, or even just lists of possible related material would be much appreciated!!

Thanking you muchly :)

Lovecat

HSC
My class is doing gendered language too. We picked it, with no idea what it was. I sort of regret it now haha, it's a bitch.
Nobody really understands it.

molly91

HSC
Haha. Yeah, it's pretty weird. My teacher is amazing though, it's just hard because it's easy to find sexist texts and stuff, but then trying to analyse them in terms of "Tannen" techniques. BAH!! Slightly difficult. lol

cazgirl123

HSC
Hi all, I'm also doing Gendered for 2008! I just came across this thread under a search for Floor of Heaven - I was wondering if anyone knows what the hell lucid syntax is? lol I can't find it anywhere, damn postmodern techniques...
Thanks!
Hope everyone's going well with the subject. It's tricky but I think it's worth it - well hopefully it pays off anyway. I find it really interesting most of the time. But it would be the biggest drag without our teacher, she's great (even when she's trying to come off as a hardass - I know deep down she's soft and squishy and shiny like all helpful, hard working people).
lol I just notice this little guy --> :spam:
Anyone ever notice how spam is never not on special in the shops? Poor unloved spam.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
lol
cazgirl 123 you are a random one
well i'm glad you're enjoying GL , it is actually quite interesting, and FLOOR OF HEAVEN??? wow i've found someone else who's studying it, now that is astonishing. Obviously i've finished my HSC but yeah if you need any info, i have plenty =D

Indie..

HSC
cazgirl123 said:
Hi all, I'm also doing Gendered for 2008! I just came across this thread under a search for Floor of Heaven - I was wondering if anyone knows what the hell lucid syntax is? lol I can't find it anywhere, damn postmodern techniques...
Thanks!
Hope everyone's going well with the subject. It's tricky but I think it's worth it - well hopefully it pays off anyway. I find it really interesting most of the time. But it would be the biggest drag without our teacher, she's great (even when she's trying to come off as a hardass - I know deep down she's soft and squishy and shiny like all helpful, hard working people).
lol I just notice this little guy --> :spam:
Anyone ever notice how spam is never not on special in the shops? Poor unloved spam.
CASEY!!!!!!
HI!
Its Katie, by the way..fancy seeing you here in my search for Gendered Language salvation.

Hellooo out there to fellow GL candidates. I was wondering what related texts people are using? Also, whether anyone knows of any helpful poems that could possibly be used?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i went through a few interesting related texts, there's this great short story called 'the snow child' or 'snow child' but i can't remember who it's by. You could have a go at finding fairytales by the brothers Grimm or even just a regular fairy tale, those are awesome to analyse for this subject.
I was really desperate towards the end of the year and saw a copy of avril lavigne's 'best damn thing' album and realised that it is VERY gendered ie. man hating but at the same time reinforcing patriarchal constructs. So you could give those a go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)