NEED HELP with Gendered Language (1 Viewer)

pinksugar

Where can I get notes or exemplar essays for this subject? I found choosing a self selected text hard and I also find it difficult to explain how language shapes and reflects values! please help! thanks in advance!

lowowl

not good timing my friend!
language shapes values because everytime you say something like "you scream like a girl" then you are perpetuating the value that is placed in how brave females are - basically that they are the weaker sex. The more this phrase may be said, the more it shapes the values contained in our language. I guess after a while this no longer shapes the values in our language - becuase it is so instilled within it - but instead reflects the values in our language. does this make sense? shaping and reflecting are intrinsic in this way, refection is a consequence of shaping, it cannot exist without it. The question is, is your text shaping values or reflecting them??? I hope this has been helpful, I'm still trying to straighten out my own ideas and understanding of this bloody module!!!!!!!!

Katgurl

read the first couple of chapters in Tannen, that is where she describes most of the fundamental parts of gendered language, the preface is a good thing to read a few times just to work out where she is comming from, don't worry too much about it just find a few strong points from Tannen and use her terms give you a high level of language, just make sure you understand them properly.
Good luck for the exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)