Writing Modern History Essays (1 Viewer)

Lanina

HSC
I have just begun writing essays for modern history , is it me but when you write up essays there is soooo...... much context that has to be mentioned its not like an English essay ( the link always being the main connection you have to carry out throughout ) in a way it is but I'm finding it difficult to answer my question and the link if there is one in my case is lost!

so could I please get any tips , as I'm new to writing essays for this particular subject :wave:

please and thank you:):)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
The key to writing band 6 essays for modern and ancient is using a very basic essay structure with strong topic and link back sentences. It is imperative that you know all the essay terms (discuss, explain, assess, etc.) because each one demands something different. Make sure you list ALL your points in the intro AND in the conclusion. With the exception of WW1, no historiography = no band 6. Try not to waffle on; if you know all the main points and write consistently and clearly, using historiography when appropriate, you will get a band 6.

good luck :)

ccc123

HSC
The main things I've learnt are important with modern essays

*Being succict. As you said, its not English. They don't want waffle. They don't want fancy words. They want a clear, fluent argument that answers the question.

*Use sources ALWAYS. If you want band 5/6, you need to go beyond simply recounting what happened and use sources (both primary and secondary) to support what you're saying.

*It's also important to answer the question directly in the introduction and briefly outline what your going to say in the body.

*Link your topic sentences back to the question. I find the most effective way to do this is to reuse the content word from the Q. So if the question is 'assess the impact of the U.s entry on the course of ww1', in your topic sentences you need to make it clear that your assessing impact. E.g

"American intervention also had a singificant impact on..."

*As Rhanoct mentioned, you should also have a historiographical paragraph somewhere in your essay. I find the most logical place for my historiography is before the conclusion, but everyone does these things differently.

Hope that helps :)

el gwapo

HSC
^ Indeed, I tried all of those and successfully got a band 6.

It's all about continuing and improving the same essay practices and you'll eventually get there. My mate over one holiday period did about 15 essays on Germany. Practice doesn't make perfect all the time, but rather improving your practice methods. He basically did an essay for every syllabus point, which you could say is covering all his bases.

Do not simply assume history as a timeline of events. Modern History isn't like that at all, you need to go into essays knowing the ins and outs of an event, not just dropping dates (though it is essential, it is not all that is needed)

I also try to organize in my mind the layout of the essay as soon as I read the question. Now it's up to you and how you think the question is best suited to whether you will organize your essay chronologically or by certain issue (if you're talkin about the volksgenmeinschaft and nazification of Germany for example a timeline might not work as well as segregating the essay by each aspect of society)

studymyassoff

HSC
what is historiographical paragraph? historiography?

and

can someone give me a link to a perfect history essay example?

thanks

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Historiography= the views, arguments and quotes of various historians on a debate surrounding your topic. Try to weave in your historiography throughout your essay, rather than dedicating one entire paragraph to it.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Using historiography is good, but you can achieve Band 6 without it. Many people at my school have.
But i do agree that it adds a little sophistication and strength to a normal modern essay.

Zephyrio

HSC
You don't need to have historiography to achieve band six.

I suggest weaving it throughout your essay however.

Wooster

HSC
N/A
With respect, you are incorrect in your statement that if the candidate does not integrate historiographical argument into a response, they will not attain a 'band 6- with source interpretation excepted. I teach and mark this subject and the attributes of superior responses in the preliminary sessions leading to the marking of the HSC final exam, exclude the necessity of including historiographical argument.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I mark Modern History and have frequently given full marks to students without any named historians.

You can get full marks by showing that you understand that there are differing interpretations of the issue e.g. "some historians say that WWII was deliberately caused by Hitler while others argue that he took advantage of the situations that arose". If you then go on to show how both those interpretations could be applied then you are using historiography but not naming the historians or schools of thought and can get full marks.

We are told at the beginning of every marking process to remember that students are writing first draft essays under exam conditions and therefore what might only get a 22/25 for a hand-in essay will possibilty get 25/25 at the HSC.

We do need to be clear about what is historiography - if you are meaning the naming of historians with attached quotes then no that isn't necessary. If you are meaning the identification of different viewpoints and interpretations of an issue then that is necessary to get to 21+/25.

el gwapo

HSC
I'd be interested in reading a Band 6 Mod Hist essay without historiography. It's implanted in my mind that it's a requirement - doing Extension this becomes second nature to Modern esssy writing.

But I'm in university now so it doesn't really matter :)

jeska may

HSC
thank you, thank you, thank you!!

i've been wondering about this for ages!! thanks again!

jeska may

HSC
Thanks for all the great advice, it will be a great help! especially with one coming up...

Thanks again.

swathard

HSC
Structuring Modern History Essays

hey guys,

im a year 10 student atm, and i have been selected to accelerate in modern history. i will therefore be skipping the prelim course, and will be moving straight on to do the HSC next year.

i will be starting in term 4 of this year, and will do the HSC in term 3 next year.

now, as I will be skipping the prelim, i will not have any experience in forming modern history essays and structuring correctly.

i was wondering if people who currently do modern history in year 11 or 12, or people who have finished the HSC in modern history, or even history extension or ancient history ( i think essays are structured pretty much the same way in all three history subjects), would be able to tell me some of the key ingredients that comprise a solid history essay, and the appropriate structure that I can employ to ensure I maximise my marks.

this is really important lol bcause unlike yr 11, EVERYTHING COUNTS in year 12 (as im sure you all already know), and without the experience behind me, my first few HSC modern history essays could be complete disasters. i am definitely aiming for a band 6, so if people could help, i'd appreciate that SOOOOO much!!

thanks everyone! :D

mick135

HSC
Re: Structuring Modern History Essays

modern history aye.
tis an interesting topic - so depending on what options you do will depend on how well you go.
ie: im really really enjoying studying Germany between the wars and the personality of Albert Speer.
whereas my mate who go to a diff school is studing some japanese guy and hates it, even though he is topping his class.
mod hist is actually enjoyable, rather than the year 9-10 course - so thats good.
the basic structure of any essay is to:
a) know what your gonna talk about
b) give your perspective on it

so with a, it is obvious to learn the topic. so you know the main events, and the results of what happened from those events. when you have learnt this, you MUST look at what historians have said about it.
i know, looking at what some old fogey thinks would just corrupt you thinking, but it also will score you about 10 extra marks if quote them correctly.
so when you say your opinion, base it on the results of what events had occured, and if you can get a historian to back you up as well - then it can only make you look good.

always know what your opinion is before you start - so you have your conclusion first. then get a list of events - and relate it back to the essay question and your opinion. then write the introduction.
then basic stuff: list the events with the really good ones first and not so good events that take up space at the end. try to use big and long words when writing it. if its a home essay use micro word - rightclick synonyms is a god send :D
changes "this randoms perspective on this event"to
highly credited english historian A.J.P Taylor answered this when questioned on the event
but there are many different ways - but yeah, good luck. i hope you liked it as much as me

wendym

HSC

if you really, really want a good essay you HAVE to include
a VARIETY of perspectives on the issue. ie dont tell the story from the just the government's perspective, add civilians, opposition etc. Oh, dont ever recount unless it's just a quick, brief part that you need. ANALYSE & EVALUATE!
You've got to give a strong opinion on the issue and back it up with quotes.
I've also found that with many MH essays you can divide sections into
economic, social & political, that's an easy way of structuring an essay if you ever get asked on the impact/effect of something.

wendus

krawr.
HSC

depends what the quesiton is, but yes generally do not tell narrative AT ALL. focus solely on analysis. historical debate also isn't really that important, but mentioning it in like half a sentence can boost your marks a bit. add heaps of quotes - make sure they're relevant! and lastly, have a strong voice in your essay. that'd convince the markers you know what you're talking about, and you should! GL!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

wendus said:
depends what the quesiton is, but yes generally do not tell narrative AT ALL. focus solely on analysis. historical debate also isn't really that important, but mentioning it in like half a sentence can boost your marks a bit. add heaps of quotes - make sure they're relevant! and lastly, have a strong voice in your essay. that'd convince the markers you know what you're talking about, and you should! GL!

As a marker I would like to point out that there should be some narrative - e.g. if asked to assess the importance of the depression to the rise of the Nazis, a brief (1 exam booklet page only) narrative of the events of the Depression years to set up the essay is needed. It tells the marker that you actually know what you are talking about and the sequence of events.

Having set the context of the question through narrative then begin taking the events and issues and assess each one, making a clear judgement about its importance to the topic.

Refer each point made back to the question, making a judgement as you go.
Give a range of perspectives of the events, issues e.g. the Nazi view, the governments, Hindenburgs and more recent interpretions by one or two of those who have spent time researching the different points of views.

In your conclusion again refer back to the question and make a clear judgement about the issue being discusses (and yes you can say this was important but that wasn't).

Introductions and conclusions are really important for the markers as the introduction is what the marker reads first and gets their interest and the conclusion is what is read last and therefore reminds them of the argument just made.

The timing for marking is 12 per hour, which means, on average, 5 minutes per essay so make it worthwhile to impress the marker and make them want to give you marks.

swathard

HSC

alright, thank you very much everyone!! greatly appreciated. i will account for what everyone has said, but i am kinda becoming nervous about my choice to accelerate, because ive heard a lot of people saying that im going to be "disadvantaged" because i havent done the prelim course and all that..

do you think i would be disadvantaged, or do you think that if i work hard in the hsc year (without having done the prelim) i stil have the potential to gain a band 6, which is what im aiming for?

alongcamedonna

HSC
What makes a 10/10 History essay?

If you think you're great with writing history essays, then please please HELP me!! Yes, I am in desperate need of your HELP, as i think i am FAILING in Modern History.

So pls pls tell me starting from basic, what makes a 10/10 History essay? E.g. structure.

Any help will do! =DD

THANKS. THANKS. xD

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)