germany at war (1 Viewer)

trishka

can anyone help me with the concept of germany at war..im fine until 1941.....but from then on i loose it......i really need help if anyones willing...please!!!!!!thanks!!!!:confused:

Last edited:

Arch-man

That's an entire topic by itself!

Just focus on Germany's take-over of Czechoslovakia, Poland and their attempted take-over of Russia. (Stalingrad and what happened there is a must-mention).

Although Germany at home during the war is where I struggle.

Doylie

I dont think there is much emphasis on Germany at war (as in, what their battle plans were etc.) but i'd know it anyway. I think the main things to know from 1941 onwards are the German homefront, Hitlers foreign policy (both before and during the war) and how Hitlers racial policies were carried out during the war (einsatzgruppen, 'New Order' etc.)

trishka

what about reasons for defeat on germany's behalf, i know the Russian campaing was a majopr contribution, and the strenght of the Allies....but what else do u find important to focus on???...thanks for the replies too!!

Arch-man

Just Hitler's poorness as a strategist. He pulled out fo the Battle of Britain when the British were on their knees, he stuffed up Stalingrad, not to mention the fact he had poor support from his neighbours (Italy, etc.)

trishka

Originally posted by Arch-man
Just Hitler's poorness as a strategist. He pulled out fo the Battle of Britain when the British were on their knees, he stuffed up Stalingrad, not to mention the fact he had poor support from his neighbours (Italy, etc.)

thanks heaps Arch-man, so do u think there lack of using economic resoursec efficiently and there lack to make use of total war sooner has something to do with it???

Doylie

Like i said trishka, germany during the war years mainly relates back to its homefront situation.. i think have an understanding of the events of the war (battles, tactics etc.) but know what led to the defeat (i.e. the lack of implementation of total war on the homefront, the nationalistic feelings inspired in other countries as a result of the 'New Order' etc.)

Arch-man

I must admit I haven't studied the economy of Germany at all, so I have no idea whatsoever about it.

trishka

you've just got to know that Hitler used his monsey unwiselly..
like he spent millins upon millions on the execution of the Jews, when he could of focused in into Military resourses...and he didn't effectively use women to his advantage either.

Arch-man

Yeah, he only wanted Eva Braun when he could have had almost any woman in the Reich.

He probably saw what happened with Goebbels and Riefenstahl and gave up.

:p

trishka

Do u honestly think there was something between goebbels and Reifenstahl???? i always believed her side.....hmmm intriguing!!

Oh yeah but u cant forget Hitlers relationship with his Neice first...NOW THATS when not usong women efficiently comes into place:eek:

Arch-man

I believe Riefenstahl's side of things too, I just reckon Goebbels tried to chat her up, but she rejected him, so he set out to get at her. Hence all the contradictions in their respective diaries.

Doylie

As if Goebbels isnt telling the truth!! Riefenstahl was as much a Nazi as Hitler was, just cos she had the forsight to see it probably wouldnt be beneficial to join the party (and lets not forget that only 23% of the male population were Nazi's in 1943, and a lot less than that in women). My guess is Goebbels probably did have a thing for her, but nowhere near the extent she says in her memoirs.. Maybe she was afraid of joining the party?? who knows..

Arch-man

Aye, very true indeed.

Me thinks that both sides have distorted the matter, and we can continue this argument forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)