HTA modern history lecture WWI (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Who was the lecturer?

The Core (like it is in any subject with a core and options) is used to internally moderate the options so that there is no disadvantage or advantage to students doing certain topics.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
senior hsc marker i think his name was M storch. i distinctly remember him having glasses.
That sounds right. He is a great bloke and I have marked with him since about 1992. He is a SM on the Core and has been since the Core and the Options were separated into two marking centres with the Core being Day marked and the rest being marked at night but the day markers tend to have their afternoon tea break about 3.45 so that they are on their break as we are arriving (I changed to options when core went Day as I knew my boss would object to me day marking every year and there is more money marking at night).

jellybelly59

HSC
That sounds right. He is a great bloke and I have marked with him since about 1992. He is a SM on the Core and has been since the Core and the Options were separated into two marking centres with the Core being Day marked and the rest being marked at night but the day markers tend to have their afternoon tea break about 3.45 so that they are on their break as we are arriving (I changed to options when core went Day as I knew my boss would object to me day marking every year and there is more money marking at night).
hmmm cem do you happen to know a warren stanley? he's a judge and a senior marker i think

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hmmm cem do you happen to know a warren stanley? he's a judge and a senior marker i think
The name doesn't ring a bell so he could be on an area I don't mark but I will look it up when I get to marking this year (and then say 'oh yeah - him') - know the face but not the name I suppose is what I am saying.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Oh, so the core is important?

I've managed to get by with minimal study and haven't lost more than a mark on the core - should i spend a bit more time on the core or spend it on my options?

I should've gone to the HTA lectures to get tips for modern T.T

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

I've managed to get by with minimal study and haven't lost more than a mark on the core - should i spend a bit more time on the core or spend it on my options?

If you are getting 24/25 for the Core you will be fine.

Just because it is the section used to moderate the rest of the paper doesn't mean that students need to spend extra time on it as the moderation isn't on a case by case basis but on a question by question basis.

In other words if you get 24/25 for the Core that doesn't mean that they will take the rest of your paper to that mark but if the mean, median and standard deviation for all students doing the Ireland option for instance is considerable different to the same stats against the Core and to all the other options in that part of the paper then they will moderate the Irish questions to be similar to the others.

To put is simply and just use one criterion (they use a range of criteria) take the mean - mean for students who do Ireland on the Core was 16 but on the Ireland questions it was 8 but for the students doing South Africa the mean on the Core was also 16 but on the South Africa question their mean was 14 the computer would adjust the Ireland marks upwards (assuming range, median and standard deviation were the same for both groups).

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you are getting 24/25 for the Core you will be fine.

Just because it is the section used to moderate the rest of the paper doesn't mean that students need to spend extra time on it as the moderation isn't on a case by case basis but on a question by question basis.

In other words if you get 24/25 for the Core that doesn't mean that they will take the rest of your paper to that mark but if the mean, median and standard deviation for all students doing the Ireland option for instance is considerable different to the same stats against the Core and to all the other options in that part of the paper then they will moderate the Irish questions to be similar to the others.

To put is simply and just use one criterion (they use a range of criteria) take the mean - mean for students who do Ireland on the Core was 16 but on the Ireland questions it was 8 but for the students doing South Africa the mean on the Core was also 16 but on the South Africa question their mean was 14 the computer would adjust the Ireland marks upwards (assuming range, median and standard deviation were the same for both groups).
Oh i see. Thanks for the detailed explanation, cem, i really appreciate it :D

I shall rep you when i can rep again ^^

jellybelly59

HSC

lol damn anna... 24/25 for core? damn i always i get like around 21-23.... rarely do i hit 24 :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)