"PEEL" paragraph structure: Evidence (1 Viewer)

Cloesd

HSC
I assume you're all familiar with the idea of "PEEL"

Point, explain, evidence, link.

But what exactly constitutes as evidence? Must i provide a quote from a historian? May i try to reason why my "point" is correct using logic? Should i just refer to general information form the course (eg. Dates of events/battles/treaties)?

I'v always been thrown off by the word "evidence", assuming it meant that, i needed to show some sort of definite precedent in order validate my point. In english evidence turned out to mean some part of the text that demonstrates what you're trying to say.

If we apply that back to modern history, i have to quote some part of the ?course? If so do i have to refer to where the information came from? eg a textbook, or a website? Must i reference my essay?

What exactly IS evidence?

spirky

HSC
i dont know if it is really necessary to be provide evidence (as you refer to it) for every paragraph, because the markers only expect somewhere between about 3 and 6 pieces of historiography...
and to be quite honest i had never heard of PEEL before haha

you do not need to reference your essay, however when you use historiography you must say which historians you are using to support your essay... and your never supposed to reference a textbook apparently

hope this helps :)

murphyad

HSC
As jellybelly said, stats and quotes are both good examples of evidence.

However, I often find that the 'EEL' process of PEEL often consists of general reasoning. Of course, it is imperative that you use statistics, quotes in this reasoning process, but the good thing about modern history essays is that they don't have to be uniformly structured - you are allowed a bit of creative license. I guess the structure only really comes down to:

1. Make a point about the question.
2. Brief narratorial background
3. Introduce specific discussion relating to syallbus
4. Expand on original discussion point with reference to evidence - quotes, statistics etc.
5. Conclude with insightful remark to show the examiners that you are a genius who totally gets history.
6. Repeat again for next paragraph.

I dunno if anyone else feels this way, but I know I do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)