Modern game (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I found the chemistry and physics game threads to help me revise a lot, so i thought it'd be a good idea to start a modern one.

You state at least one important thing that happened in the year mentioned above, relevant to whatever topics you're doing.

Then leave a new year at the bottom of your post.

I'll start with an easy one - 1914

EDIT: If you can't find anything for the year for any of your topic, just say "nothing for my topics" and give a new year :)

Also, feel free to give a little description and if a year overlaps in topics, state a fact for each topic.

Any suggestions are welcome ^^

Last edited:

tonyharrison

HSC
Woodrow Wilson signs a Mother's Day proclamation

Also WW1

EDIT: this game might not work cause there are lots of optiony topics. Should we just stick to WW1?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
EDIT: this game might not work cause there are lots of optiony topics. Should we just stick to WW1?
Aha, options are fun XD

I reckon just leave it and if worse comes to worse they can say "nothing for my topic" and put another date down lololol.

1963 - Nuclear Test Ban Treaty signed by the US, USSR and Britain :)

tonyharrison

HSC
The only thing i can find is:

December 1946 - the USA and Britain decided to introduce a new currency called Deutschmark to make their areas economically stronger

Was there something else?
(DON'T JUDEGE ME IF THERE ISS!!!)

sj1990

HSC
Churchill gave his Iron Curtain speech. In 1946.

In 1924. Kerensky tried to rekindle the fighting spirit and sense of purpose among the army. Believed that if the troops were to discontinue fighting, it would threaten the internal security of russia.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hehe, USSR experiences the "Scissors Crisis" and Bukharin/Rykov removed from Politburo

New year - 1918 --> mention 3 important events :)

Last edited:

sj1990

HSC
Do you mean new year 1918 as Dec 17 or Jan 18? LOL...

sj1990

HSC
Hahaha! Oh dear god. I got you now....

3rd March - Russia signs Treaty of Brest-Litovsk - the harshness of this will be later used as justification for a punitive treaty towards Germany.

March-July, Germany launches the spring offensive

Overall command of Allied forces became under the control of French General Foch - 14th April 1918

Nov 11 (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month) Armistice is signed between Germany and the Allies....

An extra one for the stupidity on my behalf :p

Ok... 1937

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hahaha! Oh dear god. I got you now....

3rd March - Russia signs Treaty of Brest-Litovsk - the harshness of this will be later used as justification for a punitive treaty towards Germany.

March-July, Germany launches the spring offensive

Overall command of Allied forces became under the control of French General Foch - 14th April 1918

Nov 11 (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month) Armistice is signed between Germany and the Allies....

An extra one for the stupidity on my behalf :p

Ok... 1937
Nice, very nice :)

1937 - Stalin's 3rd 5 year plan begins.

1979 or 1922 - pick whichever year suits you.

sj1990

HSC
1979 - Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

1922 - Lenin has the wholehearted support of the Bolshevik party.

What topics do you do? I'm guessing Russian Rev'n, Cold War - is your personality Trotsky by any chance?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
1979 - Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

1922 - Lenin has the wholehearted support of the Bolshevik party.

What topics do you do? I'm guessing Russian Rev'n, Cold War - is your personality Trotsky by any chance?

Yep, those are my topics. I'm memorising quotes on Trotsky now, actually XD
Do you do the same topics?

1961 - April: The Bay of Pigs Fiasco in which the CIA unsuccessfully used Cuban counter revolutionaries to overthrow Castro's regime. Which of course embarrassed Kennedy who had just become President. Just thought it'd help me remember if i gave a brief description of it ^^

hard one
USA declares War on Germany, Battle of Passchendale (3rd Battle of Ypres)

sj1990

HSC
Yep same topics...

I like descriptions :)

1946 - Iron Curtain speech - I think we already did this year? Anyway: Churchill believed the Comintern planned to extend communist control throughout the world, stating that Russia was upsetting the balance and possibilty of peace. The wartime coalition was over, and the threat of a Cold War emerged.

What year does Russia go to?

Also - if a year overlaps in topics, maybe we could state a fact for each topic?

1988 - Gorbachev announced the USSR would withdraw from Afghanistan.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yep same topics...

I like descriptions :)

1946 - Iron Curtain speech - I think we already did this year? Anyway: Churchill believed the Comintern planned to extend communist control throughout the world, stating that Russia was upsetting the balance and possibilty of peace. The wartime coalition was over, and the threat of a Cold War emerged.

What year does Russia go to?

Also - if a year overlaps in topics, maybe we could state a fact for each topic?

1988 - Gorbachev announced the USSR would withdraw from Afghanistan.

Yeah, 1946 was done but there are some Cold War events not mentioned yet ;)

Russia goes from 1917 - 1941 which is the Great Patriotic war, but i guess you can say it goes until 1945

And yes, the overlap idea is brilliant ^^

1939 - The Nazi-Soviet Pact was signed. It was a secret agreement between Stalin and Hitler to divide Eastern Europe. Later that year Hitler invades Poland and WWII is declared.

1939 - Invasion of Poland (omg!)

The Warsaw Pact was dissolved. START 1 was signed. There was an attempted coup against Gorbachev.
25 dec - Gorby resigns and the USSR is disbanded. Communism falls!

0bs3n3

HSC
1975 - Vietnam war ends with North Vietnam victory (re-unification).

EDIT: When is the Modern test? (no I am not doing the Modern test this year...HSC 2010 lol)

HSC
1975 - Vietnam war ends with North Vietnam victory (re-unification).

EDIT: When is the Modern test? (no I am not doing the Modern test this year...HSC 2010 lol)
Tuesday bra, gonna be an awesome day... :uhoh:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Tuesday bra, gonna be an awesome day...
Baha, at least you don't have 3 in a row like me ;)

1916 - Battle of Verdun and Battle of the Somme. Verdun was the German offensive based on attrition - Falkenhayn wanted to "Bleed France white" while Petain was determined that "They shalt not pass" as Verdun was the entry way into the "Sacred Way" right into Paris. The Battle of the Somme was an example of opening another front by the British to split up German forces. After a week long bombardment which was thought to kill all the Germans the British officers told the soldiers that they could just walk across No Man's land. Of course the Germans were nice and safe below in their deep dug outs. So Kitchener lost his entire volunteer army - 60,000 men died on the 1st day alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)