Pros & Cons of Modern History (1 Viewer)

rach18

HSC
Uni Grad
What are the pros and cons of modern history? I am in year 10 at the moment and considering choosing modern hist. for next year.

and is modern history better than ancient history??

thanks! :)

nevery

HSC
Of course modern is better than ancient! ;) :DI don't do ancient, never been a big fan. I love modern though. I'm thinking of teaching it at secondary school. The pros are (at least for me) it's really interesting and we can learn a lot from it. I know modern scales well. The cons - well there is a lot of dates and people to remember, and you'll be writing heaps of essays - that's basically all the subject is. But if you're good at the essays and are interested in the subject, it'll make it a whole lot easier and more fun. If you enjoy it, you'll probably find it easier to remember dates etc.

rajputsingh

HSC
Ancient is a lot better. It is more interesting and has a better HSC structure. I did both and absolutely loved ancient and hated modern. I dropped modern in term 3 of year 12 and kept ancient. ALthough it does depend on your interests.

nevery

HSC
Ancient is a lot better. It is more interesting and has a better HSC structure. I did both and absolutely loved ancient and hated modern. I dropped modern in term 3 of year 12 and kept ancient. ALthough it does depend on your interests.
There is no absolute 'best subject' when it comes to modern or ancient. It's just what a person prefers.

gavskiez

HSC
comes down to what you prefer. I've never been interested in ancient, but I like modern. be careful though cos I think whether or not you like modern largely depends on what course your class or school chooses for you to do, cos there's so many, like for one section you choose one out of 25 options. I remember in year 11 we did the civil rights movement in the 60s and that term modern was like my favorite subject, but then the next term we did cuba and i hated it so yeah... overall it's hard to say.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
I did the HSC last year and studied both Ancient and Modern.
I found that Modern was far more interesting in terms of content but a bit more difficult than Ancient.
Ancient was an easier subject but it had a tendency to be really boring (all personal opinion though).
I would recommend both subjects but I favoured Modern purely because it was more interesting and not as wishy-washy as Ancient.
EDIT: I also felt like there was a lot more writing to be done in Modern.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)