N/A

Re: Modern History Essay Guide

nice!

cem
    Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Remember that the subject is hiSTORY = there is a story to be told and then analsyed. A lot of poorer responses from bright kids concentrate on historiography but don't bother telling the story e.g. can name all the historians who wrote about Germany between the wars and can rattle of pages of quotes from them but don't actually tell what happened and therefore what these historians are writing about.

If you get a question on the rise of the Nazis from 1929 - 1933 - it is a good idea to tell what happened in that time and analyse as you go e.g. the fall of the Papen government = tell the story and then what the historians say about that event and then link it to the next event.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cem View Post
    Remember that the subject is hiSTORY = there is a story to be told and then analsyed. A lot of poorer responses from bright kids concentrate on historiography but don't bother telling the story e.g. can name all the historians who wrote about Germany between the wars and can rattle of pages of quotes from them but don't actually tell what happened and therefore what these historians are writing about.

If you get a question on the rise of the Nazis from 1929 - 1933 - it is a good idea to tell what happened in that time and analyse as you go e.g. the fall of the Papen government = tell the story and then what the historians say about that event and then link it to the next event.
    My teacher says that historiography is no longer in the marking criteria for national study. Is this true? Don't need to mention at all?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Turra View Post
    My teacher says that historiography is no longer in the marking criteria for national study. Is this true? Don't need to mention at all?
    Whilst its not expressely mentioned, I think some references to historians and their views is still required - however, I am not 100% sure. I think I will defer to cem for a more decisive answer.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Turra View Post
    I don't understand why you would not include it. Anyway, the rubrics (since 2010) are:

- demonstrate historical knowledge and understanding relevant to the question
    - communicate ideas and information using historical terms and concepts appropriately
    - present a sustained, logical and cohesive response

so I would say the first one infers historiography as historiography includes historical understanding.

cem
    Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Historiography is implied throughout the Modern History rubric. It is possible to get full marks without specifiying historians but you would be giving different interpretations and so building your argument on knowledge of different theories as well as what happened.

Take my earlier example of analyse the reasons for the rise of the Nazi between 1929 and 1933 - one student might tell the story - this happened and this happened and this happened and do nothing more - now they have shown historical knowledge etc but they haven't addressed the 'analyse' part of the question so could get 12/25. The next student does the above but then adds quotes from three or four historians that doesn't do anything to add to the question - still 12/25. The third student brings interpretations such as 'after xxxx happened the situation in Germany changed because yyyyyy'. This is getting into a much stronger response because there are reasons being given - so getting to a 15/25 response. Now Student 4 says 'after xxxx happened the situation in Germany changed because yyyyyy' but adds 'another reason why Germany changed was zzzz'. Now we have a student showing different interpretations but not naming the historians - this could go to 25/25 depending on how well it is argued. Of course naming the historians could also get to 25/25.

The biggest mistake I see are students who simply quote historians without using them - they quote them to tell the story and think that that it what is needed. If what you want to say is the same thing in every book there is no reason to quote someone.

You need to know the general arugment of the historians.

Cadet
    HSC

Thank you so much! This is really helpful!
    HSC 13: Music 2 Music Ext General Maths Eng Advance Eng Ext1 Modern History Biology

HSC

Excellent. Got my 20/20 for my recent essay using this
    [HSC 2013]: Advanced English, English Extension 1, Maths Extension 1, Visual Arts, Modern History, Business Studies

ATAR Aim: 97+

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Green Pup View Post
    Excellent. Got my 20/20 for my recent essay using this
    Congratz - glad to see that my guide helped.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

HSC

@enoilgam
    THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS HELPS ALOT :<<< me happy

HSC

How many body paragraphs would you recommend? I wrote 3 body paragraphs for my trails (1 for each point of argument) and each paragraph generally took up 1-2 pages, and my teacher wrote that I should reduce paragraph length

Cadet
    HSC

Thank you so much!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith2000 View Post
    How many body paragraphs would you recommend? I wrote 3 body paragraphs for my trails (1 for each point of argument) and each paragraph generally took up 1-2 pages, and my teacher wrote that I should reduce paragraph length
    For an exam essay 5 or 6 paragraphs is roughly what you should be aiming for (intro, conclusion plus 3 or 4 points). Generally speaking, there are no hard and fast rules with paragraph length, but I would say you shouldnt be writing a paragraph longer than 300-350 words in your response.

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -

HSC

Quick question, would this guide apply to Ancient History aswell?
    anything above 90

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by medicore View Post
    Quick question, would this guide apply to Ancient History aswell?
    Yes, definitely. Most of this guide can be used for humanities subjects, as the vast majority of humanities essays utilise similar principles to a modern essay.

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -

HSC

Hi! Looking at past papers for the Cold War almost all of them say how does 'syllabus dot point' contribute to origins/development/detente etc. So I thought if I did essay plans for each dot point that would be okay?

HSC

You're the best .

HSC

This is incredible, thank you so much!
    Modern History · Visual Arts · Society & Culture · CAFS · Advanced English

What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?
    - Romans 8:28-31

HSC

Hey Guys,

I have given the Guide a bit of a revision. I added a section in on advanced essay writing techniques and revised some other parts of the guide. I also fixed up the structure a bit so that it is more easy to read and follow. Hopefully, these revisions make the guide much more helpful and useful.

Also, big thanks to LoveHateSchool for helping me edit the new version.

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -

HSC

Thanks Enoil! Loving the extras on how to score a high band 6, I have not considered these options before
    You the man!
    I <3 Physics.

Retired Sept '14 LoveHateSchool's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Eg155 View Post
    Thanks Enoil! Loving the extras on how to score a high band 6, I have not considered these options before
    You the man!
    We're expecting tip top band 6 essays from you Miss Eggie
    Ex-mod dawg- Nov '12-Sept '14

HSC

Hey man thanks for the guide, I was wondering why I could never get full marks lol
    So with the thesis-anithesis-synthesis (T-A-S), are three of these done in one paragraph?
    Also if you're going to use T-A-S does that mean you're thesis is always divided?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by TheEntrepreneur View Post
    Hey man thanks for the guide, I was wondering why I could never get full marks lol
    So with the thesis-anithesis-synthesis (T-A-S), are three of these done in one paragraph?
    Also if you're going to use T-A-S does that mean you're thesis is always divided?
    It's done in one paragraph. Your thesis isnt really divided - basically, the idea is that you accept that the anti-thesis does change the original thesis you started the paragraph with. For example, in a paragraph arguing that Hitler was an totalitarian leader, you may say the following:

Thesis: Hitler was totalitarian because all power rested with him.
    Anti-thesis: He didnt really exercise his power over the economy and other administrative stuff.
    Synthesis: Hitler's leadership was totalitarian, although he did not have complete control because he choose to delegate certain functions completely to others.

That's probably not the best example and it is very basic, although hopefully you can see what I mean. As I reinterated in the guide though, stuff like this is pretty complex and you need to really think it out. Plus, it is even more difficult to do in the confines of a 1,000 word response.
    tofusenpai likes this.

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -

HSC

thanks

HSC

Great essay guide really helped me in my modern history exams this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information