Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 68
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Modern History Essay Guide

  1. #26
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    nice!

  2. #27
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,462
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Remember that the subject is hiSTORY = there is a story to be told and then analsyed. A lot of poorer responses from bright kids concentrate on historiography but don't bother telling the story e.g. can name all the historians who wrote about Germany between the wars and can rattle of pages of quotes from them but don't actually tell what happened and therefore what these historians are writing about.

    If you get a question on the rise of the Nazis from 1929 - 1933 - it is a good idea to tell what happened in that time and analyse as you go e.g. the fall of the Papen government = tell the story and then what the historians say about that event and then link it to the next event.

  3. #28
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by cem View Post
    Remember that the subject is hiSTORY = there is a story to be told and then analsyed. A lot of poorer responses from bright kids concentrate on historiography but don't bother telling the story e.g. can name all the historians who wrote about Germany between the wars and can rattle of pages of quotes from them but don't actually tell what happened and therefore what these historians are writing about.

    If you get a question on the rise of the Nazis from 1929 - 1933 - it is a good idea to tell what happened in that time and analyse as you go e.g. the fall of the Papen government = tell the story and then what the historians say about that event and then link it to the next event.
    My teacher says that historiography is no longer in the marking criteria for national study. Is this true? Don't need to mention at all?

  4. #29
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,855
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Turra View Post
    My teacher says that historiography is no longer in the marking criteria for national study. Is this true? Don't need to mention at all?
    Whilst its not expressely mentioned, I think some references to historians and their views is still required - however, I am not 100% sure. I think I will defer to cem for a more decisive answer.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  5. #30
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,385
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Turra View Post
    My teacher says that historiography is no longer in the marking criteria for national study. Is this true? Don't need to mention at all?
    I don't understand why you would not include it. Anyway, the rubrics (since 2010) are:

    - demonstrate historical knowledge and understanding relevant to the question
    - communicate ideas and information using historical terms and concepts appropriately
    - present a sustained, logical and cohesive response


    so I would say the first one infers historiography as historiography includes historical understanding.

  6. #31
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,462
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Historiography is implied throughout the Modern History rubric. It is possible to get full marks without specifiying historians but you would be giving different interpretations and so building your argument on knowledge of different theories as well as what happened.

    Take my earlier example of analyse the reasons for the rise of the Nazi between 1929 and 1933 - one student might tell the story - this happened and this happened and this happened and do nothing more - now they have shown historical knowledge etc but they haven't addressed the 'analyse' part of the question so could get 12/25. The next student does the above but then adds quotes from three or four historians that doesn't do anything to add to the question - still 12/25. The third student brings interpretations such as 'after xxxx happened the situation in Germany changed because yyyyyy'. This is getting into a much stronger response because there are reasons being given - so getting to a 15/25 response. Now Student 4 says 'after xxxx happened the situation in Germany changed because yyyyyy' but adds 'another reason why Germany changed was zzzz'. Now we have a student showing different interpretations but not naming the historians - this could go to 25/25 depending on how well it is argued. Of course naming the historians could also get to 25/25.

    The biggest mistake I see are students who simply quote historians without using them - they quote them to tell the story and think that that it what is needed. If what you want to say is the same thing in every book there is no reason to quote someone.

    You need to know the general arugment of the historians.

  7. #32
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Thank you so much! This is really helpful!
    HSC 13: Music 2 Music Ext General Maths Eng Advance Eng Ext1 Modern History Biology

  8. #33
    Cadet Green Pup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Excellent. Got my 20/20 for my recent essay using this
    [HSC 2013]: Advanced English, English Extension 1, Maths Extension 1, Visual Arts, Modern History, Business Studies

    ATAR Aim: 97+

  9. #34
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,855
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Pup View Post
    Excellent. Got my 20/20 for my recent essay using this
    Congratz - glad to see that my guide helped.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  10. #35
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    @enoilgam
    THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS HELPS ALOT :<<< me happy

  11. #36
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    How many body paragraphs would you recommend? I wrote 3 body paragraphs for my trails (1 for each point of argument) and each paragraph generally took up 1-2 pages, and my teacher wrote that I should reduce paragraph length

  12. #37
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Thank you so much!

  13. #38
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,855
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith2000 View Post
    How many body paragraphs would you recommend? I wrote 3 body paragraphs for my trails (1 for each point of argument) and each paragraph generally took up 1-2 pages, and my teacher wrote that I should reduce paragraph length
    For an exam essay 5 or 6 paragraphs is roughly what you should be aiming for (intro, conclusion plus 3 or 4 points). Generally speaking, there are no hard and fast rules with paragraph length, but I would say you shouldnt be writing a paragraph longer than 300-350 words in your response.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  14. #39
    Junior Member medicore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quick question, would this guide apply to Ancient History aswell?
    anything above 90

  15. #40
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,855
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by medicore View Post
    Quick question, would this guide apply to Ancient History aswell?
    Yes, definitely. Most of this guide can be used for humanities subjects, as the vast majority of humanities essays utilise similar principles to a modern essay.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  16. #41
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Hi! Looking at past papers for the Cold War almost all of them say how does 'syllabus dot point' contribute to origins/development/detente etc. So I thought if I did essay plans for each dot point that would be okay?

  17. #42
    Cadet purplemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney :]
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    You're the best .

  18. #43
    Cadet lifeinmydalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    This is incredible, thank you so much!
    Modern History · Visual Arts · Society & Culture · CAFS · Advanced English

    What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?
    - Romans 8:28-31

  19. #44
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,855
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Hey Guys,

    I have given the Guide a bit of a revision. I added a section in on advanced essay writing techniques and revised some other parts of the guide. I also fixed up the structure a bit so that it is more easy to read and follow. Hopefully, these revisions make the guide much more helpful and useful.

    Also, big thanks to LoveHateSchool for helping me edit the new version.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  20. #45
    Senior Member Eg155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Thanks Enoil! Loving the extras on how to score a high band 6, I have not considered these options before
    You the man!
    I <3 Physics.

  21. #46
    Retired Sept '14 LoveHateSchool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    HSC
    2012
    Uni Grad
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Fires of Mordor
    Posts
    5,171
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Eg155 View Post
    Thanks Enoil! Loving the extras on how to score a high band 6, I have not considered these options before
    You the man!
    We're expecting tip top band 6 essays from you Miss Eggie
    Ex-mod dawg- Nov '12-Sept '14

  22. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Hey man thanks for the guide, I was wondering why I could never get full marks lol
    So with the thesis-anithesis-synthesis (T-A-S), are three of these done in one paragraph?
    Also if you're going to use T-A-S does that mean you're thesis is always divided?

  23. #48
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,855
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEntrepreneur View Post
    Hey man thanks for the guide, I was wondering why I could never get full marks lol
    So with the thesis-anithesis-synthesis (T-A-S), are three of these done in one paragraph?
    Also if you're going to use T-A-S does that mean you're thesis is always divided?
    It's done in one paragraph. Your thesis isnt really divided - basically, the idea is that you accept that the anti-thesis does change the original thesis you started the paragraph with. For example, in a paragraph arguing that Hitler was an totalitarian leader, you may say the following:

    Thesis: Hitler was totalitarian because all power rested with him.
    Anti-thesis: He didnt really exercise his power over the economy and other administrative stuff.
    Synthesis: Hitler's leadership was totalitarian, although he did not have complete control because he choose to delegate certain functions completely to others.

    That's probably not the best example and it is very basic, although hopefully you can see what I mean. As I reinterated in the guide though, stuff like this is pretty complex and you need to really think it out. Plus, it is even more difficult to do in the confines of a 1,000 word response.
    tofusenpai likes this.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  24. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    thanks

  25. #50
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Great essay guide really helped me in my modern history exams this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •