Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 68 of 68
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Modern History Essay Guide

  1. #51
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    This is a great guide and I will be sure to utilise these notes in my future essays.

  2. #52
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Hello friend,
    you did a great job with the guidelines for writing the history essay. With the information that you given above, the students will get the complete the idea about the essay writing guidelines in history

  3. #53
    Cadet angrycookies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Thanks for this, very helpful!
    HSC 2014!

    Advanced English | 3U Maths | Physics | Chemistry | Modern History

    Aim: 95+ UNSW COMMERCE

    Don't Doubt the NEW South

  4. #54
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Great guide, and thanks heaps, but I don't see how you get 1000 words to be 8 pages My writing isn't overly small and 5 pages is anywhere from 1000 words to 1300 words for me.
    :P

  5. #55
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Uy Fire View Post
    Great guide, and thanks heaps, but I don't see how you get 1000 words to be 8 pages My writing isn't overly small and 5 pages is anywhere from 1000 words to 1300 words for me.
    :P
    That's probably using the old exam books which had much bigger lines. Then again, I got 8/9 pages for my HSC using the new books.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  6. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by enoilgam View Post
    That's probably using the old exam books which had much bigger lines. Then again, I got 8/9 pages for my HSC using the new books.
    May I send you a few essays to read over/critique? I feel as if my history teacher is being too lenient with his marking so it's really difficult to improve.

  7. #57
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by iEatOysters View Post
    May I send you a few essays to read over/critique? I feel as if my history teacher is being too lenient with his marking so it's really difficult to improve.
    Sure, no worries .
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  8. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by enoilgam View Post
    Sure, no worries .
    Thank you so much!! ^^

  9. #59
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    I know this may sound ridiculous, but how do you structure a logical and cohesive band 6 response in relation to the questions that ask "How useful are sources .... in your response consider the reliability and perspective of each."
    These questions so confusing :[.

  10. #60
    New Member superesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackyacoub View Post
    I know this may sound ridiculous, but how do you structure a logical and cohesive band 6 response in relation to the questions that ask "How useful are sources .... in your response consider the reliability and perspective of each."
    These questions so confusing :[.
    Hope these steps help.

    1. First make a statement on the relative usefulness of the source. For instance, say something like "Source A is very (use a degree word) useful because[insert reason here]."

    2. Go through the origin, content, motive and audience behind the source. Doing this helps to demonstrate to the marker that you are methodically explaining the reasons why you find a source to be useful and reliable or not. Make judgements. For instance, you can say that because the author is not writing at the time, his perception of the event might be blurred.

    3. Analyse the perspective of the source. After you have completed the second step, you can now make a judgement on the perspective of the source. For instance, from what position is the author of the source? Is it a high ranking official? An educator? A woman? Allied or not? How does this affect the usefulness and reliability of the source?

    4. Conclude assessment of source through clearly declaring the reliability and usefulness of the source once more. From all that you have written beforehand, it should make it simpler for you to make a decision on how reliable and useful the source is. It is really to give your argument more resolve. For instance, you can say something like "Conclusively, the reliability of the source is compromised by Haig's position as a senior officer and his duty to maintain high morale in the Allied forces. However, the source still remains very useful as it provides insight from an individual actually involved in the war at the time."

    I do not know if any of these steps make sense, since it is basically what I gathered from the spot and my mind is a little fuzzy from finishing the HSC last year.

  11. #61
    Moderator enoilgam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    11,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Quote Originally Posted by superesse View Post
    I do not know if any of these steps make sense, since it is basically what I gathered from the spot and my mind is a little fuzzy from finishing the HSC last year.
    I think that's a pretty decent approach towards these kind of questions - I'm pretty sure I did something similar for my HSC. Just to reinterate something you mentioned, just because a source is unreliable DOES NOT necessarily make it useless. A source can be unreliable and useful depending on the other factors used to assess usefullness.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

    Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

  12. #62
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Thank you for the helpful information.

  13. #63
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Thanks for the great guide

  14. #64
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    At the beginning of the year for Modern History I was struggling to get 20/25 for an essay. In my midcourse exam I got 25/25 (only person in the year) and in the last task, an in class assessment of Ho Chi Minh I got 15/15. Not entirely sure what changed, I didn't really do that much practice, I think partly it's this guide, so thanks, and I thought I might just quickly share what my essays included to allow me to access full marks, because on re-reading them, they're really nothing special.

    -Start your intro by making a strong general statement, something like, "Ho Chi Minh is one of the most controversial and complex figures of the 20th century." (I know not many people do Ho Chi Minh but it's clearer in my head at the moment than Germany)
    -Write your thesis, brief and to the point.
    -Then finish on another strong statement which has to be succinct and clear.

    The body paragraphs are pretty simple and it really is about following PEEL. Make sure that your first sentence makes an argument related to your thesis, i.e., that Ho Chi Minh had a good impact on his times because...
    -Back it up, say why he had a good impact and then basically just reiterate it at the end but link it strongly to your thesis and the question.

    As for the advanced essay writing techniques, I've found that I have begun to include these without really thinking about them. The trick I think is not to keep them separate to the rest of the essay in terms of content and scope, but rather just include some reasons as to why historians/people at the time did not agree with your thesis. E.g. "Americans believed Ho Chi Minh was bad because of his use of guerilla tactics and punji sticks." Then say something like, "However, the American use of napalm and Agent Orange means that they're in no position to judge." Conclude by saying that this provides evidence for your thesis.
    Obviously that's simplified and far too casual, but it's basically the right idea.

  15. #65
    The optimistic pessimist. FlyingKanga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    412
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Hi, thanks a lot for the guide. Essay writing is one of my weaknesses and I'll utilize this in the holidays to try make it a strength. Just wondering, would the best way to get essay questions to practice on just be from HSC past papers?

  16. #66
    cem
    cem is offline
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,462
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Using past HSC papers is great - if you have already done the content.

    If not try taking the dot points of the syllabus and turning them into an 'evaluate' type question - if you are simply practising your essay writing skills in general.

    Most schools at this stage have only done WWI which requires the additional skills of integrating sources into the responses.

  17. #67
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    Hey there, thanks for the guide. It's really helpful . Would you happen to have any sample modern essays you wrote that got solid marks (88%+ ) that you would be happy to share?

  18. #68
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Modern History Essay Guide

    How would one go about making an adaptable essay plan? My teacher has asked for 4 essay plans (one for each dot point for the russia national study part) and says they should be adaptable to any question that has something to do with that dot point. That seems impossible to me. Could you give me some tips on how to make an essay plan more adaptable to more questions?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •