Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 48 of 48
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

  1. #26
    Senior Member MrInoeverthin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    At Uni!
    Posts
    627
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetalmond View Post
    So my questions are:
    1. What and how do you analyse for a national/ personality study essay question
    2. If you had for example three points/ arguments you are going to talk about. Do you do three paragraphs, because some of my arguments/ points were a page long and I got deducted marks as it apparently obscured my argument. Because, if you start a new paragraph, aren't you starting a new idea or point?
    3. also do you need to put historiography in, because the teacher hasn't really said anything about it, but I've been going on tips and apparently the top essays have it.

    Right, now I'm just disappointed by my mark and slightly freaking out as my mid course exam for it is tomorrow!!
    For your questions to be answered, historiography is utilised in order for you to form an analysis on a particular event, or (one of your points). Like for example;

    you provide you historiography along with your information which is your analysis. Then introduce yet again another quote (historiography) which argues against your first one, provide your information and facts along with that, and you should form a thorough analysis on your specified argument.

    Also try to point out which view is 'incorrect', and as to why it is incorrect, and that's followed up by more information (bias becomes involved)

    Even though my teacher literally did not teach us or tell us anything about historiography, I found BOS, and I learnt off her, that it is very important and essential for maintaining a logical and cohesive argument.

    Historiography = Basis (evidence)
    Analysis = facts and information to support that view presented by the historian.
    Then you either agree or disagree with one historian and present which ideal is most correct and why.

    A personality study I believe also uses a similar structure, but its much more factual and you need to keep note of times, dates and significant aspects of the life of your personality.

    There are many guides on here as well. So have a look at them, and try to implement some advice that is given.

    So don't take my word on this, but I did alright in Modern history. Hopefully I answered your questions

  2. #27
    Senior Member MrInoeverthin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    At Uni!
    Posts
    627
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nomieee View Post
    My teacher gave us the following structure for all essays and it rEALLY helps me to stop narrating

    Intro:

    General statement (ie. About the topic)
    Make a judgement (eg, if the question is a "to what extent" question say for example, "it is to a critically significant extent that Trotsky's role in organising the Red Army lead to the Bolshevik victory in the Russian Civil War" | if Assess the factors then make a judgement as to which is the MOST SIGNIFICANT (eg. A vitally significant factor in the Bolshevik consolidation of power was the role of the NEP etc etc)
    Then go on to outline the points you will make, also making a judgement about the extent that they are useful to. Make sure to use Analysis words such as critically, vitally, pivotal, marginally, moderately, slight etc etc

    Argument paragraphs

    Step 1 must be an argument (it's not an argument unless you use Because or As) so for example "It is to a critically significant extent that Trotsky's role in organising the red army lead to Russia's victory in the Russian Civil War BECAUSE he kept them United towards a common goal and effectively organised troops making the Red Army into a credible fighting force"
    Step 2: justify your argument with examples, and explain the effect of each example to avoid Narration
    Step 3: Link the argument back to the question ( re answer the question using that argument)

    Conclusion:

    Re answer the question and state why using the points that you used in your argument.

    I'm not sure if every school uses this structure but I know my brother's doesn't and that's why he has a lot of trouble writing essays for history, but I've always used this structure and find it helps a lot

    PS. Sorry for all the Russia examples, I just did my half yearly so Russia is on the brain
    Doing Trotsky, I see

    Nvm. Russia was my national study as well

  3. #28
    Junior Member sweetalmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    I was wondering if you could send a sample to me also through private message. I am also struggling to breach that 20/ 25 and I'm having trouble analyzing, or giving examples without explaining.

  4. #29
    Junior Member sweetalmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nomieee View Post
    My teacher gave us the following structure for all essays and it rEALLY helps me to stop narrating

    Intro:

    General statement (ie. About the topic)
    Make a judgement (eg, if the question is a "to what extent" question say for example, "it is to a critically significant extent that Trotsky's role in organising the Red Army lead to the Bolshevik victory in the Russian Civil War" | if Assess the factors then make a judgement as to which is the MOST SIGNIFICANT (eg. A vitally significant factor in the Bolshevik consolidation of power was the role of the NEP etc etc)
    Then go on to outline the points you will make, also making a judgement about the extent that they are useful to. Make sure to use Analysis words such as critically, vitally, pivotal, marginally, moderately, slight etc etc

    Argument paragraphs

    Step 1 must be an argument (it's not an argument unless you use Because or As) so for example "It is to a critically significant extent that Trotsky's role in organising the red army lead to Russia's victory in the Russian Civil War BECAUSE he kept them United towards a common goal and effectively organised troops making the Red Army into a credible fighting force"
    Step 2: justify your argument with examples, and explain the effect of each example to avoid Narration
    Step 3: Link the argument back to the question ( re answer the question using that argument)

    Conclusion:

    Re answer the question and state why using the points that you used in your argument.

    I'm not sure if every school uses this structure but I know my brother's doesn't and that's why he has a lot of trouble writing essays for history, but I've always used this structure and find it helps a lot

    PS. Sorry for all the Russia examples, I just did my half yearly so Russia is on the brain
    Hi, this is great. thanks. Just one quick question, when you say justify arguments with examples is that quotes, or can we just explain examples that in your case link to Trotsky's role in the Red Arm, with providing historical evidence or oral/ written sources etc.

  5. #30
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    2. Yes, one point per argument. The reason why your teacher said it obscured the argument is probably because your paragraph had too much waffling and unnecessary content, which made your paragraph unnecessarily longer.
    3. Historiography is not necessary, but it's recommended. Use historiography and make sure it supports your argument, so don't put it in just because you know some kind of quote that's somewhat related.

    Examples should primarily be historical evidence.

  6. #31
    Junior Member sweetalmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Just had midcourse exam, really worried. For the WW1 assess the usefulness for these sources on stalemate on western front, and the question was discuss the perspective, but it didn't actually say "and reliability", so I didn't discuss reliability, only perspective and everyone is saying their interchangeable and that they discussed reliability and perspective, but the question wasn't being specific as it just said discuss the perspective of the sources in your answer, not perspective AND reliability.
    I would usually discuss reliability but the source didn't say so, and I'm really worried, because that was a 10 marker!!!

  7. #32
    Junior Member sweetalmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Also, does anyone know where to find resources on national study South Africa or Nelson Mandela apart from HSC Online, because the HTA study guides don't cover those topics which I think is unfair and biased, and I'm struggling to find in-depth knowledge that follows the syllabus and doesn't stray away from it.
    My teacher doesn't give much notes and when she does she just copies brief notes from HSC online, and she never gives out worksheets with info when the other classes get heaps of notes. As a result, my class isn't doing very well!


    Also, I'm really struggling with this essay writing for national/ personality question. if it is alright, it would be so helpful if someone posted their sample essay on here that did well, even a paragraph would be so great!!

    My teacher says she can read over essays we write, so I write essays, but she merely skim reads and doesn't actually mark it, and often doesn't even bother reading the whole thing, I also tried emailing her an essay before the midcourse which she promised to mark and she never did and my midcourse for modern has passed so its quite unhelpful. On all these modern history study guides on BoS they say the only way to improve is to get essays marked which is proving to be an issue right now.
    Last edited by sweetalmond; 24 Mar 2015 at 12:48 PM.

  8. #33
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetalmond View Post
    Hi, this is great. thanks. Just one quick question, when you say justify arguments with examples is that quotes, or can we just explain examples that in your case link to Trotsky's role in the Red Arm, with providing historical evidence or oral/ written sources etc.
    You don't necessarily have to use historians in modern history (quote from my teacher who is the head marker for modern history in NSW) but if you're going to use them then use them to back up your arguments and if you're going to quote an historian it's better to paraphrase than actually use the word for word quote. Just back up your examples with historical evidence (In the context of Russia, here's an example paragraph for the question "To what extent did the leadership of the Bolsheviks lead to their success in the Civil War in Russia from 1918-1921"

    Trotsky’s effective co-ordination of the Red Army is, to a critical extent, the reason for the Bolsheviks’ success because if the Bolsheviks were not unified in their goal of defeating the Whites, they would have become disorganised and distrustful. Trotsky proved himself to be a superb leader through his ability to rally and inspire the men that he commanded in order to keep them oriented towards a common goal. Trotsky personally visited the men at the front on the train and inspired them with his brilliant oratory. This was supported by extensive use of the death penalty to scare unwilling peasant conscripts into submission with the knowledge that if they deserted or retreated in battle that they would be gunned down by their own side. This kept the Red Army unified and made them a credible fighting force during the Civil War, unlike the Whites, whose leadership was in shambles with some officers "living in brothels in a haze of cocaine and vodka". It is to a critical extent that the leadership of the Bolsheviks was the reason for their success in the Civil War due to the fact that Trotsky’s ability to effectively keep the Red Army united and co-ordinated left the Bolsheviks with a distinct advantage over the disorganised White Army.
    2015 HSC

    Standard English: Away, Run Lola Run, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, The Simple Gift
    Ancient History: New Kingdom Egypt (Ramesside Period), Ramesses II, New Kingdom Egypt (Amenhotep III to the death of Ramesses II)
    General Maths
    Modern History: Russia and the Soviet Union, Leon Trotsky, The Arab/Israeli Conflict
    French Continuers
    French Extension


    ATAR GOAL: 85+
    COURSE GOAL: Bachelor of Criminology and Criminal Justice at UNSW

  9. #34
    Junior Member sweetalmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    How many practice essays/ responses a week should we be doing for history subjects: modern, ancient, extension to improve, and ensure we can hit a 20-25/ 25 mark.

  10. #35
    Large Member Smooth Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetalmond View Post
    How many practice essays/ responses a week should we be doing for history subjects: modern, ancient, extension to improve, and ensure we can hit a 20-25/ 25 mark.
    Quality over quantity. You want to make sure it's being properly marked by your teachers and they are providing feedback and recommendations. With this you really need to take what they're saying on board.
    I'd say from here on in 1 a week for each is sufficient (I know I didn't do that) but closer to the HSC and trials I was getting them out. It's all relative to your competencies and what you think you need to do; unfortunately there is no set formula in my opinion.

    So:

    - Do what you think you need to do;
    - Make sure they're marked and feedback is given;
    - Take the feedback on-board;
    - Know your content and get your essay finesse down;
    And most importantly enjoy learning history. Writing about something you enjoy and are engaged in allows the essay to flow a lot easier.

    I know I can't provide you with a black and white answer but I hope this helped. All the best!
    HSC 2014 Survivor.

  11. #36
    Cadet atcha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetalmond View Post
    Also, does anyone know where to find resources on national study South Africa or Nelson Mandela apart from HSC Online, because the HTA study guides don't cover those topics which I think is unfair and biased, and I'm struggling to find in-depth knowledge that follows the syllabus and doesn't stray away from it.
    My teacher doesn't give much notes and when she does she just copies brief notes from HSC online, and she never gives out worksheets with info when the other classes get heaps of notes. As a result, my class isn't doing very well!


    Also, I'm really struggling with this essay writing for national/ personality question. if it is alright, it would be so helpful if someone posted their sample essay on here that did well, even a paragraph would be so great!!

    My teacher says she can read over essays we write, so I write essays, but she merely skim reads and doesn't actually mark it, and often doesn't even bother reading the whole thing, I also tried emailing her an essay before the midcourse which she promised to mark and she never did and my midcourse for modern has passed so its quite unhelpful. On all these modern history study guides on BoS they say the only way to improve is to get essays marked which is proving to be an issue right now.
    Why don't you just photocopy the sheets that are given out to the other class?. Additionally because you are doing one of the more obscure National Studies it would be advisable to maybe go to the State Library and look through historian's texts rather than textbooks, as frankly I doubt that you will be able to find any in depth content in a textbook because most of all the generic modern textbooks have little/no information on South Africa. I feel your pain and I hope your situation improves

  12. #37
    Junior Member sweetalmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by atcha View Post
    Why don't you just photocopy the sheets that are given out to the other class?. Additionally because you are doing one of the more obscure National Studies it would be advisable to maybe go to the State Library and look through historian's texts rather than textbooks, as frankly I doubt that you will be able to find any in depth content in a textbook because most of all the generic modern textbooks have little/no information on South Africa. I feel your pain and I hope your situation improves
    thanks. yeah, I think I'll look into state library or some uni libraries as they tend to have more academic texts often with historians. thanks

  13. #38
    The optimistic pessimist. FlyingKanga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    The OP hasn't been on for a few weeks so I was wondering if there's anyone else here who I could message for some essay feedback?

  14. #39
    Large Member Smooth Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKanga View Post
    The OP hasn't been on for a few weeks so I was wondering if there's anyone else here who I could message for some essay feedback?
    Sorry! I am around occasionally. Uni life got me out of the HSC realm..
    HSC 2014 Survivor.

  15. #40
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Hello I really need help for my modern history essay " Evaluate the significance of Leni Riefenstahl to her period of national/international history"
    Any suggestions on how to structure it as in what to talk about in each paragraph?

  16. #41
    Large Member Smooth Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nina2015 View Post
    Hello I really need help for my modern history essay " Evaluate the significance of Leni Riefenstahl to her period of national/international history"
    Any suggestions on how to structure it as in what to talk about in each paragraph?
    I think there is a set of syllabus dot points surrounding her significance..

    Anyway I'd talk about her 3 main lives and how they contributed to history with main focus on her propaganda work for the NSDAP.

    - Intro and position to question (don't sit on the fence).

    - Body 1 - talk about her film work (pioneering) and also appearance in mountain films (big in Germany at the time).

    - Body 2 - Work for NSDAP and big evaluation.

    - Body 3 - Nuba and Underwater photography and her legacy.

    - Conclusion.

    Also you need to support your statements with historians, it is a must in the personality study I am lead to believe.

    This is how I'd sort of structure it, it doesn't have to be rigid, in the end you want to get it to flow well.
    HSC 2014 Survivor.

  17. #42
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Hia, anyone got any advice for answering an "Account for" question? I'm not sure exactly how to answer it, though I kind of get what I'm meant to be writing... like, I'm not sure what to put in my intro/essay/etc as a sentence responding directly to the question. Because it seems less like a question with a direct answer.

  18. #43
    Large Member Smooth Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub View Post
    Hia, anyone got any advice for answering an "Account for" question? I'm not sure exactly how to answer it, though I kind of get what I'm meant to be writing... like, I'm not sure what to put in my intro/essay/etc as a sentence responding directly to the question. Because it seems less like a question with a direct answer.
    It would be easier to answer it in the context of a question you've been given.

    This focus basically asks you to give/show reasons and evidence as why a particular event occurred etc.... Therefore you actually can structure a bit of an argument, hence you can write a direction you want to take with your essay with regards to the question in your introduction. Do not just narrate/recount events! You need sophistication in your essays.
    From here you want to give reasons as to why and join-the-dots so to speak in your essay by making links to the question and even between the events which make up what you're accounting for.
    Therefore account for is a little like the directive 'recall' however I believe it involves more analysis, a certain level of argument and a slight viewpoint, obviously this needs to come from substantial evidence.

    If you're still unsure always check with your teacher as to what they think/know the directive 'account for' to mean, as this is only how I would approach it.

    Also this might be of use.
    http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au..._keywords.html
    Last edited by Smooth Operator; 19 Jun 2015 at 4:17 AM.
    HSC 2014 Survivor.

  19. #44
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    "Assess the consequences of the Vietnamese victory against the French for Indochina in the period 1954-1964" - this is my assessment task (speech) which is due just before trials begin. how to i go about attempting this question

  20. #45
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    I need some help "assess the consequences of the Vietnamese victory against the French for Indochina in the period 1954-1964"

  21. #46
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    I have the same question but as an essay.. I need help

  22. #47
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    Im in my HSC year of school and am studying by correspondence so its been tough studying modern.
    The question ive always struggled to answer is.. explaining the importance of the why? question.. what would you put.
    Source analysis is not my strong point

  23. #48
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Modern History General Questions and Essay Help Thread

    One of the best approaches, in my opinion, to historical writing is, as I term it, the A.J.P Taylor approach. He recognised that history can be defined through general trends, ideas, events flowing from one another as well as dominant political and social undertones of the period. So often people are bogged down by countless names, dates, statistics that the essence of what you are writing, and therefore the question you are trying to answer is lost. This often results in simply the 'annal' type history often presented in the narrative format. By cutting through all the aforementioned ballast and getting straight to the point of the question, recognising what is actually important; the dominant themes and undertones of the particular topic or question, period or point at hand, you can only impress the marker.
    Last edited by MBTMaster; 5 Feb 2016 at 7:05 PM.
    BandSixFix likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •