How do you study for modern? (1 Viewer)

youix

HSC
Do you guys just rote your notes or do something else?

Last edited:

crowley926

HSC
Essay plans.

I draw up a list of the key themes from the syllabus and for each of them I write notes/information, statistics, historiography, dates/locations etc. I don't rote Modern because it's not a rote learning subject. I don't write notes for it either cos I find that a waste of time - when doing essay plans I find I always go through everything anyway.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Essay plans.

I draw up a list of the key themes from the syllabus and for each of them I write notes/information, statistics, historiography, dates/locations etc. I don't rote Modern because it's not a rote learning subject. I don't write notes for it either cos I find that a waste of time - when doing essay plans I find I always go through everything anyway.
Not really. If you're remembering statistics, historiography, dates/location for Modern, that is still rote learning.

crowley926

HSC
Not really. If you're remembering statistics, historiography, dates/location for Modern, that is still rote learning.
With that argument every subject is a rote learning subject. Maths is rote-learning because you have concepts and formulas to remember.

Statistics, historiography, dates/location do not make up the bulk of the essay. These are like 1-2 sentences in every paragraph of 250 words. Rote learning suggests regurgitation of information without actually understanding - which any good history student would never (and arguably could never) do. The questions are unseen and can be about any of 8 topics and within those topics could have a narrow or broad focus, so if you're relying on rote-learning to get through history then good luck.

teridax

HSC
N/A
With that argument every subject is a rote learning subject. Maths is rote-learning because you have concepts and formulas to remember.

Statistics, historiography, dates/location do not make up the bulk of the essay. These are like 1-2 sentences in every paragraph of 250 words. Rote learning suggests regurgitation of information - which any good history student would never do. You really can't anyway - the questions are unseen and can be about any of 8 topics.
It just seems that you asserted in your initial post that Modern History had absolutely no rote learning, which is completely false - a lot of the information you learn are arbitrary facts which can't be deduced through logic but rather, repeated in your head over and over. But yes, statistics, historiography, date/locations without forming an argument won't go well - that I will agree with.

And just so you know - concepts and formulas for maths are different things; you can definitely rote learn the formulas but not the concepts because they are an abstraction of existing ideas.

crowley926

HSC
It just seems that you asserted in your initial post that Modern History had absolutely no rote learning, which is completely false - a lot of the information you learn are arbitrary facts which can't be deduced through logic but rather, repeated in your head over and over.
Yes there are facts you learn in history but it's more than just the mindless regurgitation of facts, which you seem to be suggesting by stating " repeated in your head over and over" - they are a million times more interested in your argument (In my Trotsky essay I actually got a lot of the dates wrong and still came out with full marks). To suggest that rote-learning is a facet of preparing for history is wildly inaccurate (and detracts from the work involved in the actual studying process) and any mention of rote-learning should be left with true brainless subjects such as Business Studies :)

And just so you know - concepts and formulas for maths are different things; you can definitely rote learn the formulas but not the concepts because they are an abstraction of existing ideas.
Yeah I realised after I pressed enter I was like lel

teridax

HSC
N/A
Yes there are facts you learn in history but it's more than just the mindless regurgitation of facts, which you seem to be suggesting by stating " repeated in your head over and over" - they are a million times more interested in your argument (In my Trotsky essay I actually got a lot of the dates wrong and still came out with full marks). To suggest that rote-learning is a facet of preparing for history is wildly inaccurate (and detracts from the work involved in the actual studying process) and any mention of rote-learning should be left with true brainless subjects such as Business Studies :)
But then again, an argument without evidence (in this case, your rote learnt facts to substantiate) isn't really that meaningful.

I do get your point though.

IDFWU

HSC
practicing essays under exam conditions at home is vital and helps you heaps for modern exams. everyone has a different way of learning/studying but usually i type my notes, read + highlight them and re-write them. however, when you're practicing essays never choose a particular question to practice off thinking that it's going to be in the exam because theres a 25% it actually will, so that'll completely waste your time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)