b6 raw mark cut-off (1 Viewer)

mkristie

HSC
I know it does change each year but does anyone roughly know what raw mark is needed in order to achieve a band 6 in modern history (I'm assuming it's about 90)? I checked rawmarks.info but there's not much info on it. :(

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Hey mk!

They change it every single year based on the difficulty of the paper. And pure raw marks are not really a useful piece of information to figure out B6 cut offs for Modern, because the raw mark gets weighted according to the options selected.

Generally though, it's around 83-86 for a pure raw mark to be aligned to a 90 HSC.

mkristie

HSC
Hey mk!

They change it every single year based on the difficulty of the paper. And pure raw marks are not really a useful piece of information to figure out B6 cut offs for Modern, because the raw mark gets weighted according to the options selected.

Generally though, it's around 83-86 for a pure raw mark to be aligned to a 90 HSC.
Would I be correct in assuming that popular options (like Germany 1918-1939, Albert Speer, and Conflict in Indochina) are generally weighted less because there's more competition/the standard is higher? Or is it based more on the difficulty of the questions in each option (e.g if Conflict in Europe gets a difficult set of questions but Indochina gets easier questions, Conflict in Europe will be weighted more/would align better)?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It is done by comparing the cohort who did the question with their results on the Core compared to other options. Germany, Speer, Leni, Conflict in Europe (which is the most popular now - just overtaking Conflict in Indo-China a year or two back - but very much similar) have the full range or students so no internal moderation necessary.

It is with the very small candidature topics e.g. the Japanese personalities often have fewer than 100 candidates between them. I have known years with no one doing Yamamoto and only a handful doing Hirohito and about 20 doing Kita so these are then compared to their other topics to ensure that they are internally weighted fairly.

The standard is not higher just because there are more people doing the option - the standard is marked the same regardless - often with the same marking criteria and same markers e.g. I have marked Speer and Leni and then moved onto the Asian personalities and marked all of the aforementioned Asians and Ho Chi Minh, Arafat, Jinnah etc. All marked to the same standard and on the same criteria but ... maybe the question suited one personality better than another so that personality's cohort may have lower marks compared to what they may have gained had they done a different personality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)