Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grom11

Thread: HSC Modern History 2016 Marathon

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

HSC Modern History 2016 Marathon

I have developed an interest of late in Modern History.

I honestly didn't know what a primary or secondary source was up until 3 months ago but have been doing some readings into more specifically European history.

Ringer has divided his book into Options. I'd be interested in studying more about the personalities of Twentieth Century : Mikhail Gorbachev, Ho Chi Minh (interested in this one as I visited the city last year in December), J Edgar Hoover, Alexandra Kollontai, Golda Meir, Albert Speer (name rings a bell), Leni Riefenstahl, and Leon Trotsky (name also rings a bell, without Googling it, think he was an Eastern Europe leader of a particular nation) What other personalities could you study?
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

Re: HSC Modern History 2016 Marathon

Cant be bothered Googling it but how do you pronounce the 'Bolsheviks'?

I see it mentioned in the Modern History text by Ringer. But what exactly and who exactly were the Bolsheviks?
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

Cadet
    HSC

In today's context a Bolshevik would generally connote someone who holds revolutionary attitudes. In the context of early 20th century Russia, a Bolshevik was a member of the majority faction of the Russian Social Democratic Party, which seized power in the October Revolution of 1917.
    davidgoes4wce likes this.

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

@grom11 have you heard much about the 'Declaration of The Rights of Man and Citizen"? Apparently its some primary source.

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

I want to understand more about the European 'Enlightenment' period, Im not sure if thats a specific HSC topic for any of the versions of history.

Cadet
    HSC

Paleo-French (1789, I think?) version of the Declaration of Human Rights

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by davidgoes4wce View Post
    I have developed an interest of late in Modern History.

I honestly didn't know what a primary or secondary source was up until 3 months ago but have been doing some readings into more specifically European history.

Ringer has divided his book into Options. I'd be interested in studying more about the personalities of Twentieth Century : Mikhail Gorbachev, Ho Chi Minh (interested in this one as I visited the city last year in December), J Edgar Hoover, Alexandra Kollontai, Golda Meir, Albert Speer (name rings a bell), Leni Riefenstahl, and Leon Trotsky (name also rings a bell, without Googling it, think he was an Eastern Europe leader of a particular nation) What other personalities could you study?
    I want to understand more about the European 'Enlightenment' period, Im not sure if thats a specific HSC topic for any of the versions of history.
    You seem more interested in history itself than HSC Modern History
    Rather than reading textbooks (which are mostly dull btw, especially Excel), you'll find it tremendously more enjoyable to read actual historical works
    Most popular works of history are actually pretty easy to read and digest, and can be incredibly interesting.
    Why restrict yourself to the NSW HSC syllabus when you can read whatever you want lel

another great avenue would be youtube, and in particular the CrashCourse history channel
    I've spent way too many hours watching them ahaha

link: https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse
    (it started as just history, but has expanded to cover other disciplines, all of which are pree interesting)
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

Im just curious to know for you history students out there, do any of you guys have regular access to the Foxtel History Channel at home?

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Nailgun View Post
    You seem more interested in history itself than HSC Modern History
    Rather than reading textbooks (which are mostly dull btw, especially Excel), you'll find it tremendously more enjoyable to read actual historical works
    Most popular works of history are actually pretty easy to read and digest, and can be incredibly interesting.
    Why restrict yourself to the NSW HSC syllabus when you can read whatever you want lel
    )

I actually quite like the structure of the HSC Modern set up, Im doing this subject more so in interest than doing it for academic purposes.

HSC

I actually quite like the structure of the HSC Modern set up, Im doing this subject more so in interest than doing it for academic purposes.
    I get that, I'm just saying I think you'll find it more enjoyable to read actual works, rather than school textbooks

Just from my experience lel
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

Have you heard of Tom Richey Youtube clips? Presents pretty good history videos to be fair.

HSC

Have you heard of Tom Richey Youtube clips? Presents pretty good history videos to be fair.
    Watched a video quickly, seems decent lel
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

Cadet
    HSC

I can't crack the 23/25 barrier in Modern. I consistently achieve 23s and have got one 19/20 but the 24-25/25 for essays within exams continue to elude me. I would consider myself to be very well versed in the actual Sylabi so I think this is a perhaps a literacy or comprehension problem, how can I breach this barrier?

Thread Information