How to prepare for HSC Modern History? (1 Viewer)

martadavis98

HSC
Hey guys so I'm currently in year 12, I've always done fairly well at modern.
But the thing is, up until now I've never had to prepare such a massive amount of content for one exam before, as assessments have always been on one or two specific topics (even in trials - our teacher always told us what topics the exam questions would be about). So I've always just learnt facts for one topic and practised writing that specific essay, rather than learning the entire syllabus which we have to do now.

So I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for preparation? I really want to study but I don't know how to tackle it and I am terrified I'll just forget everything in the exam! I feel like no matter what I do so far, I still don't have a fantastic knowledge of my topics (except the easy personality study and WW1) and there are so many facts to learn and ways to argue.

I like modern, I really do but right now with a month until exam time it's pretty overwhelming!!

Thanks in advance :))

Last edited:

martadavis98

HSC
I mean I was mainly looking for ways to learn the content rather than study notes- I have plenty of material to work with :)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I mean I was mainly looking for ways to learn the content rather than study notes- I have plenty of material to work with :)
haha I know - was just curious. I also go Germany - I feel like essay plans are the best bet. Get some good historians that you can use for a variety of q's and rote learn their argument and try to apply them to different questions. Also use very generic questions from the "key features and issues" section of the Syllabus and also past HSC questions to write summary notes on the topics and what paragraphs you'd use :)

martadavis98

HSC
haha I know - was just curious. I also go Germany - I feel like essay plans are the best bet. Get some good historians that you can use for a variety of q's and rote learn their argument and try to apply them to different questions. Also use very generic questions from the "key features and issues" section of the Syllabus and also past HSC questions to write summary notes on the topics and what paragraphs you'd use :)
Ah okay. Thanks! That's pretty helpful :smile:

Memphis Depay

HSC
Similar to me. I got 86% in modern trials and i have never studied for it. I want to keep it but i have no clue how to study for it before hsc

alextyper

HSC
N/A
the best advise that i would give to anyone is that you read smart. go through all the course materials. write down the important points . then have a review of the various essays that you have covered in the course because at times the professors sometimes go back to these questions.This is the right approach but to me I did not have alot of confidence in my writing skills and so i had to look for someone to write my essay.

Marcelus

HSC
The fear of failure has been my biggest challenge in writing a good essay. Sometimes i know exactly what i should write in my paper but the moment i get to writing it down, i am never satisfied in what i present to my tutors. This fear has had some devastating impacts in my performance. That's why at times i have sought help from affordable papers but am also not proud of myself whenever i do it. I fear that i will graduate half baked and i may not be successful in my career later in my life after college.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)