Thread: Capitol punishment should be reintroduced for criminal offences

Z0
    HSC
    N/A

Capitol punishment should be reintroduced for criminal offences

Just a little topic we have to write up on.
    I have my personal opinion but i would like to get your own opinions

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Capitol punishment should be reintroduced for criminal offences

I believe it should. It could prevent the overflow of prisons and it would be cost-effective for the government in the long run (providing food and other amenities for inmates serving life sentences).
    HSC 2017: G̶e̶n̶e̶r̶a̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶t̶h̶s̶ | S̶t̶a̶n̶d̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶E̶n̶g̶l̶i̶s̶h̶ | B̶i̶o̶l̶o̶g̶y̶ | B̶u̶s̶i̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶S̶t̶u̶d̶i̶e̶s̶ | M̶o̶d̶e̶r̶n̶ ̶H̶i̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ | S̶O̶R̶ ̶1̶

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

You mean "capital punisment"??
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan

Yes, I believe capital punishment should be reintroduced, but only for the worst of the worst of crimes ie. terrorism or intent to perform a terrorist act, serial murder, serial rape and espionage. It would be too excessive for the small crimes like theft.

HSC

I don't believe capital punishment should be introduced, even for serious crimes.

Capital punishment sounds good in theory, how we are eliminating the serious offenders from society permanently etc but the problem is that there have been cases where people were wrongfully accused for a crime they did not commit, and suffered the death penalty for it. Furthermore, not every crime is black and white - do we punish people who have severe mental disorders/illnesses that end up killing many? do we punish people who grew up in low-socioeconomic areas or they had a very unstable and abusive life which caused to lead to this way?

Not only that, the idea of a capital punishment is not a universal decision - but rather, it's a decision based on a small council of people. This could lead to certain bias, and ultimately be unfair.

I also don't see how capital punishment is truly a ultimate way of justice honestly, I rather have a criminal suffer for the duration of their life in a cell.

Executive Member
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Please explain how PUNISHMENT is different from punishment.

Kthx
    Visit My Website | Like My Facebook Page | Need HSC Physics Tutoring?

HSC Physics 2018 - Few spots remaining
    Preliminary Physics / Chemistry 2018 - Taking enrolments

HSC

I think they should have it because criminals keep doing stuff and getting out of jail after a few years or on parole and then they just commit another crime. Just put capital punishment and deter them from doing it. They probably think "yeah I'll just commit this crime since I'm gonna get out anyway due to Australia's dodgy law system" there's legit no consequence for doing crimes other than staying in jail for a couple of years.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy_Cyst View Post
    Please explain how PUNISHMENT is different from punishment.

Kthx
    Is this a 2 mark question?
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sourmilk View Post
    I don't believe capital punishment should be introduced, even for serious crimes.

Capital punishment sounds good in theory, how we are eliminating the serious offenders from society permanently etc but the problem is that there have been cases where people were wrongfully accused for a crime they did not commit, and suffered the death penalty for it. Furthermore, not every crime is black and white - do we punish people who have severe mental disorders/illnesses that end up killing many? do we punish people who grew up in low-socioeconomic areas or they had a very unstable and abusive life which caused to lead to this way?

Not only that, the idea of a capital punishment is not a universal decision - but rather, it's a decision based on a small council of people. This could lead to certain bias, and ultimately be unfair.

I also don't see how capital punishment is truly a ultimate way of justice honestly, I rather have a criminal suffer for the duration of their life in a cell.
    okay, but executions usually occur years after the original sentence has been carried out. Myuran Sukumaran was shot in 2015 after almost a decade on death row from his sentencing in 2006. Some people are still on death row in America after being sentenced in the 90s. This leaves plenty of time for appeals and inspection of newfound evidence so that the courts are 100% sure they've got the right man.
    HSC 2017: G̶e̶n̶e̶r̶a̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶t̶h̶s̶ | S̶t̶a̶n̶d̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶E̶n̶g̶l̶i̶s̶h̶ | B̶i̶o̶l̶o̶g̶y̶ | B̶u̶s̶i̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶S̶t̶u̶d̶i̶e̶s̶ | M̶o̶d̶e̶r̶n̶ ̶H̶i̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ | S̶O̶R̶ ̶1̶

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by softchillisauce View Post
    Yes, I believe capital punishment should be reintroduced, but only for the worst of the worst of crimes ie. terrorism or intent to perform a terrorist act, serial murder, serial rape and espionage. It would be too excessive for the small crimes like theft.
    Hmm Espionage is a real questionable one. It would be beneficial for counterintelligence and government security agencies to extract as much information as possible instead of killing the spy, plus in our current age the most beneficial thing to do is to enhance global relations so punishing a spy to death wouldnt be helpful much at all. This isn't the 19th or the early 20th century lol.

HSC

No, letting criminals, even the worst ones, off with death is too easy. Its an escape.

Rather, give them proper sentences (life for murder, rape, terror, etc) and let them slowly rot away in prison. It's a much better punishment than a lethal injection

There are fates worse than death. Rapists, murderers and terrorists deserve such fates
    HSC 2018: Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

ATAR Goal: 98+

Thread Information