nazi germany and totalitarianism (1 Viewer)

zeee1999

HSC
would be a wrong or a ineffective argument in terms of a evaluate question to say the for and against and conclude with the idea that the extent to which it is considered totalitarian is subjective or do you have to take one side?

red152

HSC
I'm no expert, but considering it is an evaluate question, you need to make a judgement on the extent to which it is considered totalitarian. Don't necessarily say it is only one side or the other, but rather describe the extent to which people consider it totalitarian and the extent to which people don't consider it totalitarian, i.e., you are weighing up conflicting evidence to decide whether it is more often considered totalitarian or not totalitarian, then making your judgement. Reflect this in your conclusion.

Last edited:

zeee1999

HSC
I'm no expert, but considering it is an evaluate question, you need to make a judgement on the extent to which it is considered totalitarian. Don't necessarily say it is only one side or the other, but rather describe the extent to which people consider it totalitarian and the extent to which people don't consider it totalitarian, i.e., you are weighing up conflicting evidence to decide whether it is more often considered totalitarian or not totalitarian, then making your judgement. Reflect this in your conclusion.
thats what i was doing half of my essay is for while the other half is against its just in terms of this dot point both can be right in terms of the last judgement

red152

HSC
thats what i was doing half of my essay is for while the other half is against its just in terms of this dot point both can be right in terms of the last judgement
What evidence are you using?

zeee1999

HSC
What evidence are you using?
for; suppression of political opposition+use of violence to threaten (ss , sa , gestapo) , propoganda in aiding the dissemination of nazi ideology and having been prominent in arts , media etc , other things like compulsory attendence of hitler youth

against; it being a polycratic bureaucracy that was chaotic , relied on popularity within germany , he wasnt in control of economy nad maybe the idea that there as never total conformity although that idea cant be extensively elaborated on

red152

HSC
You could say that the extent to which nazi Germany was totalitarian varied over the period, or was strong or weak. You need to make a judgement of some sort, don't say it is subjective. It would probably be best to get the opinion of someone who has completed this course...

The Doozy

HSC
It is better to take an argument one side or another as opposed to sitting on the fence in modern history. However depending on the question if you have enough justification and evidence in your response to provide a two sided argument you can still do equally as well. It is very hard to pull off effectively though.

zeee1999

HSC
It is better to take an argument one side or another as opposed to sitting on the fence in modern history. However depending on the question if you have enough justification and evidence in your response to provide a two sided argument you can still do equally as well. It is very hard to pull off effectively though.
if this question does pop up my plan is to argue both sides but conclude with the idea that it was totalitarian

The Doozy

HSC
I reckon you should argue that it was totalitarian the entire essay. For my essay I would have paragraphs on how the Nazi's had a single party ideology, a single charismatic leader, the Nazi's total control over societal functioning and how they controlled the military.

zeee1999

HSC
I reckon you should argue that it was totalitarian the entire essay. For my essay I would have paragraphs on how the Nazi's had a single party ideology, a single charismatic leader, the Nazi's total control over societal functioning and how they controlled the military.
yepp i thought about it and arguing two sides would be too much of a effort if i could just take one side and maintain a solid argument

Weaboo123

HSC
the way I have approached this question in the past is by examining the seven aspects of totalitarian states outlined in the Ken Webb textbook and then presenting both sides of it being totalitarian and it not, drawing comparison to the Soviet Union r.e. a few aspects.

I've attached a document that outlines the argument on both the for and against, feel free to use it!

View attachment Germany Totalitarianism .pdf

Last edited:

nineteenninetynine

HSC
Hi!

The way I approached this question in my trials was to break it up into themes using the generally accepted criteria for a totalitarian state - single party in power, a pervasive official ideology, total state control over social institutions and a widespread system of terror. In evaluating the evidence and historiography on both sides, I concluded that whilst Nazi Germany certainly had aspects of a totalitarian regime, it was not a totalitarian state overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)