NEW Info on Usyd Law transfer! (1 Viewer)

DaGizza

HSC
How to apply for the Sydney LLB - Local students - Future students - The University of Sydney

Quoting from the webpage,

Applicants who have a recognised tertiary qualification will generally be considered on the better of either the tertiary qualification alone or the combination of their secondary qualification and tertiary qualification. Admission is competitive. Recent experience suggests that a UAI over 97 and/or a tertiary-grade point average in the distinction range are necessary to gain entry, although this will vary according to the strength of the field in any given year.

For the first time, in 2009 you can transfer based on your "tertiary qualification alone." This means even if you got a UAI of 60 you could transfer into USYD Law as long as you have solid Uni grades (At least D average +). Previously, the Uni transfer people looked at both your UAI and Uni grades (50% each) but now they only look at both if UAI marks > Uni grades. How they compare UAI with Uni I'm not so sure but they must scale them together somehow.

DaGizza

HSC
The same applies for Grad law at Usyd. The marks required (both UAI and Uni grades) are less but the principle is the same.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Very interesting. Seems fair. You still have to get very good grades to get in (i.e. better than straight Ds).

UAI is compared with uni by the use of a schedule such as this one.

Frigid explained it all in this thread.

HSC
Most courses at UNSW are like this, though Law is still 50/50 UAI/GPA

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
How to apply for the Sydney LLB - Local students - Future students - The University of Sydney

Quoting from the webpage,

Applicants who have a recognised tertiary qualification will generally be considered on the better of either the tertiary qualification alone or the combination of their secondary qualification and tertiary qualification. Admission is competitive. Recent experience suggests that a UAI over 97 and/or a tertiary-grade point average in the distinction range are necessary to gain entry, although this will vary according to the strength of the field in any given year.

For the first time, in 2009 you can transfer based on your "tertiary qualification alone." This means even if you got a UAI of 60 you could transfer into USYD Law as long as you have solid Uni grades (At least D average +). Previously, the Uni transfer people looked at both your UAI and Uni grades (50% each) but now they only look at both if UAI marks > Uni grades. How they compare UAI with Uni I'm not so sure but they must scale them together somehow.
are u basing this on the "and/or" or did somebody tell you. Because a) thats been on the website for about 3 years and b) your wrong. They consider both. I asked the head of admissions at usyd on open day.

IF you want some REAL new info, theres 50 more spots for transferees+CSP due to no dfee + the transfer cut-off is going to be lower this year than last year when it was really high (NRSL 97+). Good luck all

PS SCU conversion table is almost right, but everythings rated a little higher on the sydney one

DaGizza

HSC
No I went to the Info day lecture and two of the USYD staff said 2009 was the first year where they started the and/or system. I found the website later to confirm what they said.

If you ring the relevant people who organise the law transfers in USYD they should tell you the same thing now. I think they decided this quite recently because when I rang earlier in the year (and as mrated said on open day) they didn't announce the new method yet. But I trust what they told me on Info day because that was only a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

08er

HSC
weird, as that webpage was updated november 2008

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
hmm when i said open day i meant info day; i also talked to a couple of admissions staff. Maybe what you say is riight. all i know is that theyre DEF doing fucking weird transfer shit - not like old nrsl this year - so lets hope we get in. 16 hours people

HSC
how hard is it to get str8 Ds in commerce? would it be easier to transfer if i did commerce at unsw? or Business/Law at UTS?

BigDk

HSC
how hard is it to get str8 Ds in commerce? would it be easier to transfer if i did commerce at unsw? or Business/Law at UTS?
well by reading the post here you think everyone gets uai of 99 and 6.5GPA, only people who have good marks actually posts thier results (except for northernriversmatt).

but very few actually obtain it. actaully i would say mroe people actually get a gpa of below 3 than there are people who have a gpa of over 6

if you are an above average student and work hard (do all tut questions, be prepared before lectures, do all the readings and even do extra problems from the textbook) the getting a DN average is 'easy'.

problem is, working hard for the whole 2 semester takes a lot of effort. espcially since nothing in commmerce is compulsary. unlike school where u have to turn up, your mom drops you off and picks u up, makes u lunch etc etc.

DaGizza

HSC
Yeah BigDK is right. You have to fairly serious about transferring if you want a good chance in getting the course you want. I think you need to do one of two things to stand a good chance

1. Limit your social life
2. Not work

So yeah it is painful. I must admit I did both for the 2nd semester and didn't work at all for the whole year. But then again, I still found it a lot more interesting and easier than the HSC.

I have a few tips for people who want to get good grades and possibly transfer. Firstly, it is better to study throughout the semester and not just cram at the end. To be honest if you do your homework and assignments well then it is really easy. But most people who just want to pass bludge it.

Secondly, work really hard for the first semester. The second semester in most uni courses just builds from the first (even if it doesn't some of the stuff will be revised). Working really in sem 1 actually helps you for the entire degree because you learnt the basics solidly.

Its kinda like how in year 11 nothing counts but for subjects like maths (especially ext 1) it is good to study so if you do ext 1 or 2 in year 12 it becomes a lot easier because your foundation is really strong.

jisu

HSC
I crammed for 2 semesters and got a gpa of 6.5.

Each to their own. Don't let anyone tell you this or that is the only way to get good marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)