Confused. a bit. UC to Monash (1 Viewer)

91bang

HSC
Alright, rather confused here, first off - UAI was absolute crap, so this might be impossible but I hope to god its not because really need this transfer.
So, yeah, UAI was 73.35, and I'm doing Commerce at University of Canberra at the moment. I want to transfer to Monash University and do Commerce there, the cut off for enters was 91 I think for clearly-in.

So, I am way off. However, needing to transfer it says that i need to get credit averages in uni. I also emailed them and it said I need to get the GPA requirements, not exactly sure how this is worked out, i'm sure its been asked on here heaps of times so I looked around and i'm guessing its some sort of figure that works out a point score depending on how well you do at univerisity. Okay, I guess that part isn't what is confusing me but like, a confirmation on that would be good.

Whats confusing me a bit, and is annoying me a bit, is the fact i need a prerequisite for it, being Maths Methods. Now, considering I went to college in the ACT at Narrabundah, it gets a little tricky. I did Methods for a year, and I did Maths Applications for a year, Maths Applications scale with Maths Methods scores (as it is a Tertiary subject), so my raw scores of 95+ in Applications was scaled down to a mid 70s as it was seen on the same level as Methods. Now, what happens?

Does this mean I've fulfilled the prerequisite? Will the people at Monash/VTAC realise this? Like, god damn, if this is the reason I don't get into Monash I will be shattered. :(

Thanks for any replies.

hotdimsim

HSC
It would be best to contact Monash directly to make sure that you have fulfilled the prereq's. We can only speculate, but they can guarantee.

The credit average means they'll look at your application. To actually be considered look at at least a distinction average. Your GPA (grade point average) is the average of how you did in all subjects completed. Its normally on a scale of 0-4, but other uni's use different scales. Basically, 0=fail 1=pass 2=credit 3=distinction 4=high distinction. So you'll need at least a gpa of 3 (distinction, 70%, average)

C6H12O6-Glucose

HSC
...considering I went to college in the ACT at Narrabundah...
you went to narrabundah lol how did you not get 95+? anyway, you didn't get scaled mark of 95 in apps, i saw the marks there and the top was about 75. well below the mean for methods

Andi0390

HSC
Have you double checked that Monash is accepting commerce apps? I wanted to transfer to Arts there but they weren't expecting mid year applications.

Glucose - he said his scaled mark for math was mid seventies, only raw score was above. Besides who likes Bunda.

Why didn't you do Methods, I mean if the course requires methods and you don't have the knowledge from Methods how do you know you'll be able to get by?

There is a pdf up in the stickies that has the translation from approx GPA to UAI. Although, I saw someone on this forum say that until you have a year worth of grades they don't take it into consideration, but that could be just for NSW & ACT because I applied for to transfer to UWA from ANU and they asked for transcripts, although they acknowledged that as a first year I won't have any yet and just to send them in after I receive them, even after close of application.

I don't know how applicable prerequisites are when transferring. I would also believe that you would need better than a credit to get into Commerce at Monash. Don't take my word for it though.

I can see why you would want to leave UC though :p

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I can tell you for a fact that the business and economics faculty is not taking mid-year CSP transfers this year.

91bang

HSC
"Have you double checked that Monash is accepting commerce apps? I wanted to transfer to Arts there but they weren't expecting mid year applications."

Well, They aren't so next year I'm hoping.

"Why didn't you do Methods, I mean if the course requires methods and you don't have the
knowledge from Methods how do you know you'll be able to get by?"

I had no idea of the prospect of moving to Melbourne, otherwise I would've, but family circumstances means I must go and its not something I can do anything about. Its just a pain in the ass all this stuff really.

"I don't know how applicable prerequisites are when transferring. I would also believe that you would need better than a credit to get into Commerce at Monash"

It says Credit average on the website to be competitive, will have to work had for the Ds I guess thanks 'hotdimsim'.

I called up Monash before but they were way to iffy about it and the girl on the phone told me to call Vtac and then vtac said it was upto to the uni with prereqs. So maybe next time, I'll call the admissions department or whatever instead of the actual faculty. Stupid whore.

Andi0390

HSC
If you have a year of credits under your belt that may be enough. I believe they only take your GPA into account after one year, but also, they average your GPA with your UAI. The sticky thread in transfers has information about how this is done, but I believe a credit is about 88 after the first year. If they were to meld that with your UAI it would be lower than the clearly in. Although if the Monash site says you only need a credit, then I guess you can go with that, but is that talking about transfers from other unis, or just from other courses within Monash?

Also, universities are horrible to talk to on the phone. I recommend emailing admissions with your detailed and well set out letter that encourages them to answer all the questions, then request if they cannot answer your question then to refer you onto whatever department can. I have often sent emails to universities and they only answer half the questions, so its important that you make it clear that there are more questions and that they are all important to you, try to make them clear and specific.

Good luck:)

91bang

HSC
Thanks a lot Andi :)

I emailed them, and called them up and talked to the admissions officer quite a bit. Pretty much, I don't meet the methods requirements, and my uni has no methods equivalent units according to Monash - which is pretty annoying. :( So that's Clayton out of the question.

The last option I have, is Credit (60%) average for Monash Caufield Bachelor of Business, the pre-reqs aren't as tough there so I can get in, providing I do well enough this semester, keep up what I did last semester at the very least. However, they say 'nothing is guarunteed' for external transfers - has anyone had any experience transfering from another university into Monash Caufield or Clayton? What are the chances of me getting in even with the minimum requirements to get in for a transfer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)