Transfer Q's (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
hi everyone!
i got a uai of 91.15 which let me marginally enter UOW for BComm/LLB but i am thinking of transferring to maybe UMAQ after 2nd semester. what kinda GPA would i need to obtain to guarantee a successful transfer or am i kidding myself? :p
the uai's for UMAQ LLB courses start from 95+. thanks in advance! :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by santaslayer
hi everyone!
i got a uai of 91.15 which let me marginally enter UOW for BComm/LLB but i am thinking of transferring to maybe UMAQ after 2nd semester. what kinda GPA would i need to obtain to guarantee a successful transfer or am i kidding myself? :p
the uai's for UMAQ LLB courses start from 95+. thanks in advance! :)
Assuming the UAI for Macq's LLB is 95.5 next year, with your UAI, you'd need a GPA of around 5.75 or higher to be absolutely guarenteed a place. But that depends on the non-recent school leaver ranks for Law at Macq.

As a guide, the Non recent school leaver rank for Law at Sydney Uni this year was 96.50 - this means that one's UAI and GPA must average out to 96.50. (note, a GPA of 6.0..distinction average..equates to a selection rank of 96). So if a student had a UAI of 97 and a GPA of 6.0, they would just make the cutoff to transfer

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Minai, I was wondering if you could help me out here:).

I got denied my transfer to Business at Newcastle:(, so I am going to have to try again at the end of the year. The thing is, the lady said because I will be a non-recent school leaver, I won't get my four bonus points for Regional and Rural Preference Scheme and the UAI cut-off is supposedly a little bit higher for non-recent school leavers:(. So I got a UAI of 67.3:eek: and the cutoff this year was 73.1. So how much more is the UAI cut-off for non-recent school leavers and do you think if I can pull off a distinction average I will definitely get into Business at Newcastle next year:confused:?

Thanks for any help:).

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
hahahah im doing engineering.. there is no way i can pull off a distinction average even if i worked my butt off !!!!
probably just a pass average or maybe even a fail average looks like the path for me !!
dammit

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Dingo2004, I think Engineering is harder than Business but I am sure that even if you attended all your lectures and tutorials you should still pass comfortably:).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
thats where im lucky...like dont get me wrong, i still need to do ridiculusly well, but my transfer isnt solely based on marks, the interview takes more importance than the marks, so *fingers crossed* im hoping i can win them over in the interview ;)
lol, my cousin used to sit on the interview panel, so hes gunna tell me what they like to hear!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Sounds like you have it good hipsta_jess, best of luck in that interview then:).

P.S. I have completely hijacked your thread here santaslayer, sorry:cool:.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Merethrond
Minai, I was wondering if you could help me out here:).

I got denied my transfer to Business at Newcastle:(, so I am going to have to try again at the end of the year. The thing is, the lady said because I will be a non-recent school leaver, I won't get my four bonus points for Regional and Rural Preference Scheme and the UAI cut-off is supposedly a little bit higher for non-recent school leavers:(. So I got a UAI of 67.3:eek: and the cutoff this year was 73.1. So how much more is the UAI cut-off for non-recent school leavers and do you think if I can pull off a distinction average I will definitely get into Business at Newcastle next year:confused:?

Thanks for any help:).
Well, I don't know the actual cut-offs because they dont officially release them to the public..I only knew the Sydney Uni Law cutoff because a friend of mine inquired..you'll have to contact the admissions unit and ask them.
If the NRSL cutoff for your course is around the 75 mark next year, a distinction average would certainly get you in:
ie. 96 + 67.3 / 2 = 81.65

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
so if a D average is a 6.0 or 96 or whatever, what is a HD average worth?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Well, I don't know the actual cut-offs because they dont officially release them to the public..I only knew the Sydney Uni Law cutoff because a friend of mine inquired..you'll have to contact the admissions unit and ask them.
If the NRSL cutoff for your course is around the 75 mark next year, a distinction average would certainly get you in:
ie. 96 + 67.3 / 2 = 81.65
Thanks so much for your help Minai:). That certainly gives me something to keep motivated about. Even if I don't quite get a the distinction average I am aiming for I can get in:). So because you have more of an idea than me, do you think that the NRSL cutoff will only be about 2 UAI points higher, not like ten or something:)?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
As a guide, the Non recent school leaver rank for Law at Sydney Uni this year was 96.50 - this means that one's UAI and GPA must average out to 96.50.
Interesting... I was told a different (and slightly higher) figure. And it took some effort to get.

They also knew about this site, and weren't too happy that we were advising their future students.

I feel compelled to tell all of you that you should contact the university directly if you have any such queries. :) Our information should be used as a guide only, and should not be relied upon.

santaslayer

HSC
Re: Re: Transfer Q's

Assuming the UAI for Macq's LLB is 95.5 next year, with your UAI, you'd need a GPA of around 5.75 or higher to be absolutely guarenteed a place. But that depends on the non-recent school leaver ranks for Law at Macq.

As a guide, the Non recent school leaver rank for Law at Sydney Uni this year was 96.50 - this means that one's UAI and GPA must average out to 96.50. (note, a GPA of 6.0..distinction average..equates to a selection rank of 96). So if a student had a UAI of 97 and a GPA of 6.0, they would just make the cutoff to transfer
thanks a lot minai .....so i should be aiming for about a GPA of 6 to be on the safe side!
thanks again minai! :)
(also, how hard is it to obtain a gpa of 6 in the first year?)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
Who isn't happy with us ?

I'm sure they should remember that we are a forum doesnt give final advice.
i think laz means the lecturers and deans of usyd :p

"future students"

santaslayer

HSC
Sounds like you have it good hipsta_jess, best of luck in that interview then:).

P.S. I have completely hijacked your thread here santaslayer, sorry:cool:.
haha.no worries, i did name the thread as "transfer Q's" :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
so if a D average is a 6.0 or 96 or whatever, what is a HD average worth?
a GPA of 6.5 or over equates to a selection rank of 99.5
there is a document about this floating around somewhere

Thanks so much for your help Minai:). That certainly gives me something to keep motivated about. Even if I don't quite get a the distinction average I am aiming for I can get in:). So because you have more of an idea than me, do you think that the NRSL cutoff will only be about 2 UAI points higher, not like ten or something:)?
No worries,
well, again, I can't exactly say with any certainty, but the person you talked to said it was "slightly" higher, right?

Originally posted by Lazarus
Interesting... I was told a different (and slightly higher) figure. And it took some effort to get.

They also knew about this site, and weren't too happy that we were advising their future students.
That's odd?
well, my friend, moonlightsonata said he contacted USYD:
Originally posted by MoonlightSonata
Sydney outright told me this years NRSL cut off for Comb. Law - 96.5 (last year it was 96.47).
so I don't know?

And seriously, universities and prospective students can't exactly expect that advice given by 2nd or 3rd year students should be taken with greater seriousness than official advice from the institutions themselves...even though most of them don't know what they are talking about anyway

Originally posted by santaslayer
thanks a lot minai .....so i should be aiming for about a GPA of 6 to be on the safe side!
thanks again minai! :)
(also, how hard is it to obtain a gpa of 6 in the first year?)
how hard? depends on your course...I guess it'll be challenging to get D's in Law, but in commerce, if you consistantly do your tutorial work every week, and understand the concepts, you should gain distinctions quite comfortably

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Well, considering he's already posted the cut-off he was told, any damage that was going to occur has been done (USYD expressed concerns about them being distributed).

I was told the 2004 Main Round cut-off was 96.65. He's right about the 2003 Main Round cut-off though.

And seriously, universities and prospective students can't exactly expect that advice given by 2nd or 3rd year students should be taken with greater seriousness than official advice from the institutions themselves...even though most of them don't know what they are talking about anyway
I agree with you, and I think their concern is unreasonable. But that's really beside the point; they have expressed some concern, and I have to respect that. I'm happy to continue advising... I suppose we should just be more liberal with suggestions that students contact universities directly for clarifications. That should keep everyone happy.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
No worries,
well, again, I can't exactly say with any certainty, but the person you talked to said it was "slightly" higher, right?
I think her words were "a little bit higher", so yeah:).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Lazarus
I agree with you, and I think their concern is unreasonable. But that's really beside the point; they have expressed some concern, and I have to respect that. I'm happy to continue advising... I suppose we should just be more liberal with suggestions that students contact universities directly for clarifications. That should keep everyone happy.
I suppose, if they have genuine concerns. :)
Maybe we should discuss some guidelines on advice?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I suppose, if they have genuine concerns. :)
Maybe we should discuss some guidelines on advice?
Mmm... yet another thing to do. :p I'll get back to you soon. In the meantime, don't feel as though you need to restrain yourself.

santaslayer

HSC
hey laz u do law dont u?.....what did u think of first year law? ie. did u think it was hard?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)