Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Q's

HSC

Question Transfer Q's

hi everyone!
    i got a uai of 91.15 which let me marginally enter UOW for BComm/LLB but i am thinking of transferring to maybe UMAQ after 2nd semester. what kinda GPA would i need to obtain to guarantee a successful transfer or am i kidding myself?
    the uai's for UMAQ LLB courses start from 95+. thanks in advance!
    B Commerce/ B Laws :uhhuh:
    Class of `03

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Transfer Q's

Originally posted by santaslayer
    hi everyone!
    i got a uai of 91.15 which let me marginally enter UOW for BComm/LLB but i am thinking of transferring to maybe UMAQ after 2nd semester. what kinda GPA would i need to obtain to guarantee a successful transfer or am i kidding myself?
    the uai's for UMAQ LLB courses start from 95+. thanks in advance!
    Assuming the UAI for Macq's LLB is 95.5 next year, with your UAI, you'd need a GPA of around 5.75 or higher to be absolutely guarenteed a place. But that depends on the non-recent school leaver ranks for Law at Macq.

As a guide, the Non recent school leaver rank for Law at Sydney Uni this year was 96.50 - this means that one's UAI and GPA must average out to 96.50. (note, a GPA of 6.0..distinction average..equates to a selection rank of 96). So if a student had a UAI of 97 and a GPA of 6.0, they would just make the cutoff to transfer
    B Commerce (UNSW), GradDipCA
    Senior Manager - Ernst & Young

HSC
    Minai, I was wondering if you could help me out here.

I got denied my transfer to Business at Newcastle, so I am going to have to try again at the end of the year. The thing is, the lady said because I will be a non-recent school leaver, I won't get my four bonus points for Regional and Rural Preference Scheme and the UAI cut-off is supposedly a little bit higher for non-recent school leavers. So I got a UAI of 67.3 and the cutoff this year was 73.1. So how much more is the UAI cut-off for non-recent school leavers and do you think if I can pull off a distinction average I will definitely get into Business at Newcastle next year?

Thanks for any help.
    I NEVER HAVE TO STUDY EVER AGAIN, BITCHES!

2 6 C 4 U
    HSC
    hahahah im doing engineering.. there is no way i can pull off a distinction average even if i worked my butt off !!!!
    probably just a pass average or maybe even a fail average looks like the path for me !!
    dammit

HSC
    Dingo2004, I think Engineering is harder than Business but I am sure that even if you attended all your lectures and tutorials you should still pass comfortably.

Up the mighty red V hipsta_jess's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A
    thats where im lucky...like dont get me wrong, i still need to do ridiculusly well, but my transfer isnt solely based on marks, the interview takes more importance than the marks, so *fingers crossed* im hoping i can win them over in the interview
    lol, my cousin used to sit on the interview panel, so hes gunna tell me what they like to hear!

HSC
    Sounds like you have it good hipsta_jess, best of luck in that interview then.

P.S. I have completely hijacked your thread here santaslayer, sorry.

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Originally posted by Merethrond
    Minai, I was wondering if you could help me out here.

I got denied my transfer to Business at Newcastle, so I am going to have to try again at the end of the year. The thing is, the lady said because I will be a non-recent school leaver, I won't get my four bonus points for Regional and Rural Preference Scheme and the UAI cut-off is supposedly a little bit higher for non-recent school leavers. So I got a UAI of 67.3 and the cutoff this year was 73.1. So how much more is the UAI cut-off for non-recent school leavers and do you think if I can pull off a distinction average I will definitely get into Business at Newcastle next year?

Thanks for any help.
    Well, I don't know the actual cut-offs because they dont officially release them to the public..I only knew the Sydney Uni Law cutoff because a friend of mine inquired..you'll have to contact the admissions unit and ask them.
    If the NRSL cutoff for your course is around the 75 mark next year, a distinction average would certainly get you in:
    ie. 96 + 67.3 / 2 = 81.65

Up the mighty red V hipsta_jess's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A
    so if a D average is a 6.0 or 96 or whatever, what is a HD average worth?

HSC
    Originally posted by Minai
    Well, I don't know the actual cut-offs because they dont officially release them to the public..I only knew the Sydney Uni Law cutoff because a friend of mine inquired..you'll have to contact the admissions unit and ask them.
    If the NRSL cutoff for your course is around the 75 mark next year, a distinction average would certainly get you in:
    ie. 96 + 67.3 / 2 = 81.65
    Thanks so much for your help Minai. That certainly gives me something to keep motivated about. Even if I don't quite get a the distinction average I am aiming for I can get in. So because you have more of an idea than me, do you think that the NRSL cutoff will only be about 2 UAI points higher, not like ten or something?

HSC
    As a guide, the Non recent school leaver rank for Law at Sydney Uni this year was 96.50 - this means that one's UAI and GPA must average out to 96.50.
    Interesting... I was told a different (and slightly higher) figure. And it took some effort to get.

They also knew about this site, and weren't too happy that we were advising their future students.

I feel compelled to tell all of you that you should contact the university directly if you have any such queries. Our information should be used as a guide only, and should not be relied upon.
    Lazarus
    Et in arcadia ego...

HSC

Re: Re: Transfer Q's

Assuming the UAI for Macq's LLB is 95.5 next year, with your UAI, you'd need a GPA of around 5.75 or higher to be absolutely guarenteed a place. But that depends on the non-recent school leaver ranks for Law at Macq.

As a guide, the Non recent school leaver rank for Law at Sydney Uni this year was 96.50 - this means that one's UAI and GPA must average out to 96.50. (note, a GPA of 6.0..distinction average..equates to a selection rank of 96). So if a student had a UAI of 97 and a GPA of 6.0, they would just make the cutoff to transfer
    thanks a lot minai .....so i should be aiming for about a GPA of 6 to be on the safe side!
    thanks again minai!
    (also, how hard is it to obtain a gpa of 6 in the first year?)
    Class of `03

HSC
    Originally posted by Asquithian
    Who isn't happy with us ?

I'm sure they should remember that we are a forum doesnt give final advice.
    i think laz means the lecturers and deans of usyd

"future students"
    Class of `03

HSC
    Sounds like you have it good hipsta_jess, best of luck in that interview then.

P.S. I have completely hijacked your thread here santaslayer, sorry.
    haha.no worries, i did name the thread as "transfer Q's"
    Class of `03

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Originally posted by hipsta_jess
    so if a D average is a 6.0 or 96 or whatever, what is a HD average worth?
    a GPA of 6.5 or over equates to a selection rank of 99.5
    there is a document about this floating around somewhere

Thanks so much for your help Minai. That certainly gives me something to keep motivated about. Even if I don't quite get a the distinction average I am aiming for I can get in. So because you have more of an idea than me, do you think that the NRSL cutoff will only be about 2 UAI points higher, not like ten or something?
    No worries,
    well, again, I can't exactly say with any certainty, but the person you talked to said it was "slightly" higher, right?

Originally posted by Lazarus
    Interesting... I was told a different (and slightly higher) figure. And it took some effort to get.

They also knew about this site, and weren't too happy that we were advising their future students.
    That's odd?
    well, my friend, moonlightsonata said he contacted USYD:
    Originally posted by MoonlightSonata
    Sydney outright told me this years NRSL cut off for Comb. Law - 96.5 (last year it was 96.47).
    so I don't know?

And seriously, universities and prospective students can't exactly expect that advice given by 2nd or 3rd year students should be taken with greater seriousness than official advice from the institutions themselves...even though most of them don't know what they are talking about anyway

thanks a lot minai .....so i should be aiming for about a GPA of 6 to be on the safe side!
    thanks again minai!
    (also, how hard is it to obtain a gpa of 6 in the first year?)
    how hard? depends on your course...I guess it'll be challenging to get D's in Law, but in commerce, if you consistantly do your tutorial work every week, and understand the concepts, you should gain distinctions quite comfortably

HSC
    Well, considering he's already posted the cut-off he was told, any damage that was going to occur has been done (USYD expressed concerns about them being distributed).

I was told the 2004 Main Round cut-off was 96.65. He's right about the 2003 Main Round cut-off though.

And seriously, universities and prospective students can't exactly expect that advice given by 2nd or 3rd year students should be taken with greater seriousness than official advice from the institutions themselves...even though most of them don't know what they are talking about anyway
    I agree with you, and I think their concern is unreasonable. But that's really beside the point; they have expressed some concern, and I have to respect that. I'm happy to continue advising... I suppose we should just be more liberal with suggestions that students contact universities directly for clarifications. That should keep everyone happy.
    Lazarus
    Et in arcadia ego...

HSC
    No worries,
    well, again, I can't exactly say with any certainty, but the person you talked to said it was "slightly" higher, right?
    I think her words were "a little bit higher", so yeah.

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Originally posted by Lazarus
    I agree with you, and I think their concern is unreasonable. But that's really beside the point; they have expressed some concern, and I have to respect that. I'm happy to continue advising... I suppose we should just be more liberal with suggestions that students contact universities directly for clarifications. That should keep everyone happy.
    I suppose, if they have genuine concerns.
    Maybe we should discuss some guidelines on advice?

HSC
    I suppose, if they have genuine concerns.
    Maybe we should discuss some guidelines on advice?
    Mmm... yet another thing to do. :P I'll get back to you soon. In the meantime, don't feel as though you need to restrain yourself.
    Lazarus
    Et in arcadia ego...

HSC
    hey laz u do law dont u?.....what did u think of first year law? ie. did u think it was hard?
    Class of `03

HSC
    a GPA of 6.5 or over equates to a selection rank of 99.5
    there is a document about this floating around somewhere
    u mean in this site? can someone plz possibly point me in the right direction to the file /thread plz?
    Class of `03

HSC
    hey laz u do law dont u?.....what did u think of first year law? ie. did u think it was hard?
    If you're good with problem solving and critical thinking, it's not impossibly difficult. I found the most challenging obstacle in first-year to be the fact that I'd never done anything like it before.

u mean in this site? can someone plz possibly point me in the right direction to the file /thread plz?
    http://www.scu.edu.au/admin/stuadmin...lace/find7.pdf
    Lazarus
    Et in arcadia ego...

HSC
    so laz im assuming u killed it right?...lol
    Class of `03

HSC
    N/A

Re: Re: Transfer Q's

Minai, a quick question. I got a UAI of 97.40 and am doing Bcom/LLB at macq. I want to transfer to either UNSW or Usyd. With macq's different GPA system (only going up to 4), how does it work then? I'm not doomed from the start am I? I also heard that at macq, an HD doesn't help your GPA any more than a D, which would be sooo irritating...

argh i think i should see what the macq people say (can't expect you to know the workings of macq!)
    Last edited by golfstick; 6 Feb 2004 at 11:06 PM.
    I have 2 little green things. Does that mean I'm not cool on the internet?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Re: Re: Transfer Q's

Originally posted by golfstick
    Minai, a quick question. I got a UAI of 97.40 and am doing Bcom/LLB at macq. I want to transfer to either UNSW or Usyd. With macq's different GPA system (only going up to 4), how does it work then? I'm not doomed from the start am I? I also heard that at macq, an HD doesn't help your GPA any more than a D, which would be sooo irritating...

argh i think i should see what the macq people say (can't expect you to know the workings of macq!)
    Actually, the MACQ system is only used for internal transfer's
    if you transfer to another uni, you'll be using the UAC system, as detailed in the document that Laz has posted above (from the SCU site)

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information