I got FAIL!!!!! :'( so cant i transfer?? (1 Viewer)

stinmo

HSC
i deferred 2 exams so i got 2 results only.

i got 1 subject pass which is 64.

and another 1 is fail which is 29.

so cant i transfer next yr if i failed in core unit ??

even i get good marks from the rest?

p.s.- is it just pass if i got 64, not 65? is it just same as 50? bcuz its just pass grade?

ILikesTheSchool

HSC
Is this an internal or external transfer? And from which course are you transferring from and to?

stinmo

HSC
Is this an internal or external transfer? And from which course are you transferring from and to?

its external transfer, im doing medical science at UWS and want to transfer

into usyd. Science.. or medical science.

but i got 1 fail so my 0 GPA for 1 unit..

p.s- it it GPA 4.9 or sumding like dat if i got my mark for 64?
or is it just 4.0 which is just pass same as mark of 50?

Ads76

HSC
N/A
For some reason, the GPA for this semester is not showing for students in uws. So I calculated my GPA from the university guidelines for GPA calculation. I'll show you an example of how I did my GPA calculation:

In a semester we have 4 subjects and 10 credit points for each of those subjects = 40 credit points in one semester of study

Now the GPA grading system is as follows:

Fail = 0
Pass = 4
Credit = 5
Distinction = 6
High Distinction = 7

This is the GPA point system that UWS and a few other uni's use for the GPA calculations.

So let's say for example, I got 1 D, 2 C's and 1 P in one semester of study. That's equivalent to a grade point of 6, 5, 5 and 4.

Now each subject like I said previously has a 10 credit point value so you do this following calculation:

(6 times 10) + (5 times 10) + (5 times 10) + (4 times 10) = 200

Now you divide the total amount (200) by the amount of credit points that you did which is (40) for that semester and you get your GPA.

200/40 = GPA of 5.0

This website shows you an example as well. So you will see that if you have a fail in one semester, your GPA will be below 4 unless you compensate in other subjects for example (3 HD's or 3 D's something). Even then, your GPA will not skyrocket as much as you think it might because a fail = 0 which screws up pretty much your chances of getting a high GPA. Unless you work crazy next semester and get HD's or D's, I think transferring out from the degree is your best option particularly if you want to start your GPA over and if your thinking of getting into competitive programs (medicine and all). Anyways, I hope this was helpful.

UWS Policy DDS - Graduation Policy

Last edited:

stinmo

HSC
can i do it like dis?

give up for dis semester and start from next 1.

i need full yr studying result to transfer, so, can i transfer

for next mid yr?

i want to give up dis 2010 autumn session and use spring session and next yr 2011 autumn
session results. is it possible?

Ads76

HSC
N/A
I'm afraid that you can't "give up" the semester's results. Whatever you did this semester and the results you have will be recorded and documented into the university databases. Once you have completed this year, you would have then completed the mandatory requirement of a "full year study" for USYD entry and you can then apply into any course that you want (medical science).

But let me give you an insight first for Uws. At this university, a fail in one semester can affect your GPA over the course of your entire degree (provided u finish in 3 years time with summer school). I know some people that have failed before and believe me it is hard trying to get HD's and even D's in second and third year. The content that you might cover will be more in depth and chances are you will have to work extra hard to pull up your GPA. Even then, it's highly unlikely that you will ever raise your GPA to say something like 5 within a span of a year (first year) unless you can get high distinctions in each of your subject.

Now if your willing to go USYD (medical science), they will atleast require a GPA of 4.5 and above in most degrees. Depending on the medical science positions they offer there, you might get in with say a GPA of 4.2 if there aren't a lot of applicants taking up offers. This is the best option, as your GPA will restart (go back to 0) and you can then work hard next year at USYD, get a high GPA then finish off your degree.

This is also a suitable option if your willing to get into medicine, pharmacy or dentistry but you will need to get a high GPA in the new course. You can also apply for exemptions for subjects that you have done already at UWS so you don't have to do it again at USYD. But there is a high chance that USYD will not give you a year's worth of exemptions since they have some different units that you will have to catch up in first year. Consult with the lectures/student centre at USYD for medical science and hear their opinion first about the subjects that your going to complete at uws and if they can exempt you for the entire year.

If you have anymore questions, I'm glad to help you.

stinmo

HSC
thnk u very much Ads76, ur advising was very helpful,

can i ask u 1 more thing?

is the mark 64 meaningless since its not credit by 1 less mark
so just same as 50? which is pass?

I so regret i couldn't get 1 more mark from that subject.... :'(

Ads76

HSC
N/A
Here is the UWS grade system for the calculation of the GPA:

Fail = 0-49
Pass = 50-64
Credit = 65-74
Distinction = 75-84
High Distinction = 85-100

So pretty much anything between 50-64 is considered a pass and not a credit even though you might have missed out on 1 mark. If you want, you can apply for a review of grade but be warned, they might increase or decrease your marks. You will also have to pay money when considering an application for a review of grade. Talk to your lecturers about it and come to uni one day and ask if you can discuss this option.

spence

HSC
I'd say your only realistic chance of transferring is to defer next semester so you can apply just on the basis of your UAI. Because if your only results are a pass and a fail you'd pretty much need straight HDs in your other subjects just to get a credit average

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)