Aim for good Atar or hope for a uni transfer? (1 Viewer)

nathanf

HSC
I am in year 12, I have my 3rd Assesment coming up, for pompeii. I know I probably won't get past 80 for it. Which has me thinking about the future.

I am hoping to study hard these coming holidays, If I fail to do so, and my progress will probably be halted and I won't get the Atar that I want for my course at Macquarie ( Early 80's ), would it be reasonably easy to just work hard in a Bachelor of arts, in subjects relating to my preferred course and apply for a transfer after one year?

How hard/easy is it to do this, and is it worth it? I will do my best to get into the course I want straight away, but just incase I would like to know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Better to get the ATAR. Should be pretty easy to transfer to a course with ATAR cut-off in the low 80s, given you have a reasonable ATAR as well.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Better to get the ATAR. Should be pretty easy to transfer to a course with ATAR cut-off in the low 80s, given you have a reasonable ATAR as well.
I agree with this. Transfer should be your last resort.

nathanf

HSC
I just came back home from a long holiday which took up all of term 3 of year 11, I found this term hard to concentrate on work, as as I have never studied before, very hard to do so.

I have gotten 72% for a World War 1 and 80% for a Legal Test this term, both I just did some casual cramming for. But I think I would need meed 80's to get an atar around 80? I am from a regional area so I heard I may get 5+ atar points if i don't get the course I want.

What's a good way to develop study habbits? Especially over the holidays as I go into them in 2 days.

red-butterfly

HSC
get the atar... Transferring is just a hassle and you're not always guaranteed a place

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Aim for the ATAR, so you then move to the transfar if you have to. Easier to have an extra chance at getting in the course you want by trying for that ATAR.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Work your butt off work the ATAR. If you fail that, its no big issue as theres always working your butt off in uni and then going for transfer. Internal transfer (switching programs inside same uni) usually just take your WAM. Transfer via UAC (which can be used to transfer from uni to uni as well as switching programs inside the same uni), if you do it at the end of first year, uses only your WAM or your year 12 ATAR, whichever one is greater.

Note that if you transfer you might end up adding an extra year to your study if there isn't sufficient overlap between the subjects you studied in first year, and the subjects in first year for the thing you want to transfer to. Like, for example, I studied one year of mechanical engineering at UNSW and I wanted to transfer to petroleum engineering. The first year subjects of both these programs are very similar (in actual fact all the engineering courses at UNSW are built so that first years do largely the same subjects), so I'd finish the degree without having to take an extra year i.e 4 years. However, if I wanted to transfer from, say, commerce to science then I would have to study one year of commerce, and then take the whole three years of the science degree. If you're smart/lucky you can muck around with the order you take courses and overload on subjects here and there and end up doing the degree on time (i wouldnt count on this though, its really icky).

Also, if im not mistaken, you can try for internal transfer after every semester whereas UAC transfer you can only do once a year.

So overall, id rather become a damn study slave and get the good atar because transfer carries a risk of 'wasting' one year

Also didn't you year 12 kids already get your results back?

Last edited:

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
i also agree with this chocolate man

nathanf

HSC
Thanks for all your wisdom people.

I am.. about to start term 2 of year 12 by the way, I'm not in the group of people that would soon be starting university and being happy with their studying paying off or crying for being lazy. That's why I'm really concerned right now, I'm a bit behind in ever subject in way of assingments and perhaps a little with the textbooks as well. I've never done any study that wasn't required for classwork and that's what worries me.

I think I just have a major motivation problem, I just can't sit down and study for hours, I always procrastinate etc.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if u can't do something easy like hsc what makes you think you can get a good enough wam/gpa to transfer at uni:S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)