Roll call for those trying to transfer to USyd/UNSW Law this year (1 Viewer)

I am here!

HSC
N/A
This thread has two purposes:

1. We can comfort each other as the 19th approaches, rating each other's chances, and so on

2. Once the offers are out, we can deduce this year's NRSL cut-offs, which will be helpful for the next batch of transferees

For the meantime, drop yo numbers. This is what my application looks like:

* UAI equivalent - 100

* GPA - roughly 5.75

* This makes my NRSL rank in the ballpark of 97.5

* My first preference is USyd

Am I in, do you think?

hectoras

HSC
My stats are as follows:

ATAR: 99.15

GPA: 6.0

Have spoken to USYD and UNSW law faculties and have received the same response - "you will be competitive but no guarantees can be made".

I am here!

HSC
N/A
For what it's worth, USyd gave me a similar response. Best of luck.

trevhk

HSC
N/A
Trying for USYD and I'm absolutely crapping my pants.

ATAR: 99.05
GPA: 3.8/4 (UTS) or 6.7/7 (conventional standard? rofl)
NRSL rank: 99 (roughly) [from what I read it is 10% of GPA equivalent ATAR + 90% real ATAR. My GPA ATAR was 98+]

Good luck to all!

Oh and also, the response that the USYD and UNSW law faculty gave you is pretty much expected. You don't really know the caliber of students you are competing against and in the end I guess the faculties themselves can hand pick the students they want whether based on merit or not. Wish the system was a bit more transparent!

Last edited:

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
ATAR: 49
GPA: 6.8/7 (UTS Bach of Biz)

Wtf is NRSL?

UNSW because it next door to my house.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
NRSL = Non-Recent School Leaver. Basically, it's shorthand for those who, like you and I, are not applying straight out of Year 12.

trevhk: As far as I am aware, USyd considers one's ATAR and GPA in equal proportions to make-up their NRSL rankings - where did you hear about a 90:10 split? In any case, you look like a certain admission!

trevhk

HSC
N/A
Oh right yes, my mistake. I was actually thinking about something else. It is 50/50 sorry.

I hope you are right, wouldn't mind a proper campus for a change :p

On another note though however, I've heard quite a lot of people who have successfully transferred with only an atar of 98 and a high credit or low distinction average. This seems to be more common with external transfers into UNSW though.

Last edited:

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Really? Perhaps they were taking Law already, and so the admissions staff were more lenient on them, knowing that a CR/D average in Law elsewhere would be as good an indicator of success in UNSW Law as, say, a HD average in Arts. Or, more likely, I'm over-thinking this.

Since I have little else to do, I have ranked those who have posted their details so far using the SCU Selection Schedule, which I'm sure that many of you have seen. This is what came out when I cranked the handle:

99.28 - trevhk

98 - I am here!

97.58 - hectoras

74.25 - zehurricane*

I remember seeing 96.5 quoted as USyd's NRSL cut-off in a thread from 2006, which does not seem to have survived the crash. However, leaving alone the matter of whether that figure was in fact correct, some years have passed since then, so who knows what it'll be this year?

* Was your stating your ATAR as 49 a typo? If not, I hope the people at UNSW have the sense to see past it - maintaining a GPA as high as yours is something that merits an offer.

hectoras

HSC
if it helps, i know a student who successfully transferred into usyd law last year with a 98.9 UAI and a 6.25 GPA

trevhk

HSC
N/A
Where did you find the NRSL cut-off? I hope it has stayed the same for all of our sake :) There's a possibility that the university may waive the 50/50 and take the better score in zehurricane's case.

Nevertheless, basing my assumption on a marked trend - not on statistics - and the increase in the atar for law entry, the NRSL cut-off would be somewhat higher by now... It doesn't seem conceivable that it would be more than 97 though... that would seem like a bit of a jump... i don't know... this is just wishful thinking...

Good luck to everyone though!

treblaC

HSC
Hello all,

Good idea I am here! This is a really useful thread.

I'm pretty sure Usyd does take the better of either 50/50 ATAR and GPA equivalent or just your GPA equivalent. UNSW does 50/50 though.

I am here! I'm just wondering isn't your NRSL mark 97? 5.75 is equivalent to 94 and (94+100)/2 = 97.

Or is your NRSL mark 94.5 because it is halfway the between 5.70-5.79 band? I'm not sure, I'm just wondering. Thanks!

All the best to you all! :)

trevhk

HSC
N/A
"Entry will be based on 50 per cent ATAR and 50 per cent tertiary grade point average in your first year of study or 100 per cent tertiary grade point average. Experience suggests you require at least a Distinction average in your tertiary study and a UAI or equivalent over 96 in order for your application to be competitive. Applicants who have completed less than one year of tertiary study will be assessed on their ATAR only."

From usyd's law faculty. This means that they will take the better NRSL mark. In that case, they'll take 50/50 my atar and gpa respectively, rather than just one of them.

treblaC

HSC
Oh sorry I didn't mean your entire NRSL mark would be 94.5. I was only referring to the tertiary education side equivalent. What I meant to ask was, you know how I am here! your GPA is 5.75 and that falls between the range 5.70-5.79 equivalent to a 94 ATAR. Is your NRSL mark (for the tertiary education side) 94 because your GPA falls within that range or is it 94.5 because your GPA is halfway in that range?

So I am here! your total NRSL mark is either (100+94)/2 or (100+94.5)/2 which equals 97 and 97.25. I was wondering how you got 98 then? Is it because your GPA was a little higher than 5.75 hence the 'roughly'? lol

Thanks!

I am here!

HSC
N/A
treblaC (Calbert?): Well spotted. The reason for this discrepancy is that I have already 3 years of (non-Law) tertiary study under my belt. Hence, my NRSL rank is (100+96)/2 = 98. However, there is a real chance that USyd may hold my coming late to Law against me - when I emailed USyd regarding my chances, I was told initially that only applicants with 2 years or less of study would be considered; they later revised their remark to say that I would only be credited for 2 years of my prior studies at most. I do hope they're not too harsh on me. Also, seeing as they mention so explicitly on their website, my not being a post-first-year transferee presumably rules me out at UNSW, but I have left them as my second preference just in case.

For completeness' sake, do you mind sharing your numbers, treblaC? If you are in fact applying for a transfer this year, that is.

Only one week to go now, guys. All the best.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Also, trevhk, I wish I could take the quote from USyd Law's website that you've posted literally - my GPA in "my first year of study" was 7. Too bad that things went downhill from there. However, I think it's a relic from the times (pre-2007?) when they did not consider transfer applications from anyone other than those having just completed their first year. :(

However, assuming the main point of it holds, i.e. that they consider the better of one's GPA or one's ATAR/GPA combination, it should make for good news for zehurricane.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
So I've received an offer for Comm/Laws at Monash - did anyone else apply interstate and, if so, how have you fared? Far less concerned about USyd/UNSW's potential responses now that I have a spot locked up elsewhere (especially since Monash's offer comes with a $6k p.a. sweetener - even if USyd chooses to give me a place, this will be hard to pass up).

rx34

HSC
So I've received an offer for Comm/Laws at Monash - did anyone else apply interstate and, if so, how have you fared?
Grats with getting an offer from Monash. When I applied, I didn't get one from Monash, only from USYD. It's incredibly hard to get an offer from Victoria, considering there's only one famous/reputable law school. If you can get into Monash, you would have no problem with USYD. I had a mid 90s ATAR and a distinction ++ average for USYD.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Do people who've applied to transfer after 1st year get offers earlier than 19 Jan (ie. when all the other high school grads get theirs)?

NewiJapper

HSC
For future reference, would I be considered competitive with an ATAR of 93.7 and if I do well in my first year. Eg. I'm hoping to fucking step it up with a GPA of at least 6 at Newcastle University. I'm quite determined to get into UNSWS/USYD law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)