what is the difference between GPA & WAM ?? thx (1 Viewer)

gyzard07

HSC
hi ppl , just wanna the difference between these 2 things ? & How is it gonna affect from transfer ? thx

stinmo

HSC
WAM is average mark, and GPA is grade, for example, if u got 2 units done with 50 and 80, ur WAM is (50+80)/2 =65. and ur GPA is a pass (4.0) and a distinction(6.0).
(50-64=pass, 65-74=credit, 75-84=distinction, 85-100 =high distinction)
additionally, u got 1 pass and 1 distinction, so its credit average(5.0),
p.s.- just in case the gpa is out of 7, but most universities used gpa of out of 7.

gyzard07

HSC
thx a lot . in the matter of transfer , which plays a more important role ?

SmokedDuck

HSC
Yeah basically what they said. So when you get your results back, it should have two important numbers on there. The first one is a raw mark out of 100 (after scaling), while the second one is a number between 1 and 7 for your GPA.

The first mark is used to calculate your second mark for your GPA, but also to calculate your WAM. Here's an example. This is assuming you only had one assignment out of 100 in each unit in one semester. Unlucky....

First assignment
70/100 (First mark) 5 (second mark)

Second Assignment
50/100 (First mark) 4 (second mark)

Third Assignment
(90/100) (First mark) 7 (second mark)

So to calculate your WAM, your first, raw mark in each assignment is taken and added together, and then divided by the number of units. In this case 70+50+90 divided by 3. That gives you a WAM of 70. The second mark - the one with the single digit number - is also given the same process, in this case giving you a GPA of 5.33. Your WAM is a calculation of your raw mark in each piece of assessment, which gives the average mark you get across the board. The GPA is a broader, less detailed version of your performance.

For me for example, I have a GPA of 5.75 and a WAM of 76.13. Which blows. Based on the WAM, I should have a GPA of 6.00 giving me a distinction average (4 being a pass, 5 credit, 6 distinction, 7 HD). But due to me missing out on a HD in one of my units by a measly one mark because of useless group members, I missed that GPA of 6.00. How I came up with that is that your GPA is based on that raw mark i.e:

4 (Pass) - 50-64
5 (Credit) - 65-74
6 (Distinction) - 75-84
7 (HD) - 85+

Does that make sense?

As to your second question, it depends on the university. Some use your GPA, some use your WAM, some like to see well how you can grovel (portfolio and personal statements). Really does depend. I'm going for a transfer, and I am a little bemused with the whole process. Wish it was standardised across each uni for most courses. I can understand some not requiring or requiring a portfolio. But others...

Last edited:

NewiJapper

HSC
So, GPA functions in a similar way to bands do in the HSC? (eg band 5,6 etc)

gyzard07

HSC
does any1 know anything about UNSW ? Do they care more about GDP or WAM ?

hectoras

HSC
on their website (unsw) they say you need a 6.0 GPA and a 97+ ATAR for transfer into combined law. so i'm guessing they use GPA. i think for internal transfer they use WAM.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Internals we use WAM. Generally 75+ for internal transfers.

GPA is a terrible terrible system.

diligent

HSC
N/A
Anyone know if Sydney Uni uses WAM for internal transfers? (eg Arts to combined Law)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)