Transfer into B. Optometry from B. Science (adv. Sc.) UNSW (1 Viewer)

Tlliteration

HSC
So, I was wondering on the difficulty of transferring into B. Optometry after completing first year in B. Science (advanced science) majoring in Vision Science. What requirements- scores (UMAT, WAM...etc) would I need to have a high chance of getting in? And, how many people are usually accepted to transfer?

Also, what (an estimate of) ATAR and UMAT score is needed to be directly accepted into B. Optometry?

Maoky

HSC
Based on my friends that got in (I'm a current 3rd year optom student):

About a third of the cohort will be vision science. So we had 104 people in total (optoms and vision science), and by 2nd year with all the transfers, we had maybe ~80 optoms in total. Right now we're at 54 optoms at the beginning of 3rd year (it's a hard course).

UMAT, WAM, and ATAR will be considered equally if trying to transfer. The most common marks from people that I saw get accepted had either a low 90s ATAR and 80+ UMAT or mid-high 90s ATAR and ~60 UMAT. The 65+ WAM is definitely a must though, because if your WAM is below 65 at any stage of your optom degree, you will be kicked down to the advanced science course.

They might be more stringent on the requirements though, because our grade, and the grade below us got over-enrolled, and they're trying to prevent that. Best of luck!

Tlliteration

HSC
Thanks Maoky for your reply, it is very helpful!
But do you know how different the vision science program is compared to optometry first year? I.e. Would I be at a disadvantage against the first year Optometry students if I transferred from Advanced Science, in the second year?

Maoky

HSC
The only differences I can recall are:

- Optoms get a choice between a biology course or psychology course (most students will choose the psych), while vision science students do a course called SCIF. SCIF is one of the easiest courses you will ever come across, and it's a good opportunity to meet people too outside of optometry. It's mostly just building teamwork and having a lot of group projects.

- You'll do your courses in a different order, depending on how the uni organises it for your year. Eg. vision science students did physics in second semester instead of first. It's actually a bonus because you can get all the quiz answers from your friends (it's always the same), and even some online assessments never change =)

If there's anything else it would be minor since I can't remember it. First year of optom/vision science is mostly hsc science, and an introduction to basic anatomy of the eye (you'll definitely need to listen and get a good grasp of the anatomy course though since it's your foundation for everything). There's no major disadvantages by doing vision science, and in my opinion, since I was a vision science student too, it's probably easier since SCIF is such a WAM booster. The real optometry learning doesn't start until 2nd year.

HNY and good luck!

Oh, and as a side note, if you didn't know: as a vision science student you'll be in most of the same classes as optoms anyway. And when you transfer, you transfer straight into 2nd year, so you're not behind at all.

Tlliteration

HSC
That's really good to hear, great news to start off 2012! :D I just hope I don't miss out on too much from the Psychology/Biology subject, but the SCIF sounds interesting too- especially with that added bonus ;D

Thanks for your opinion and detailed reply, I really appreciate it. :)

Happy New Year! Thanks, you too Maoky. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)