Transferring into courses with higher cut-off than my own ATAR (1 Viewer)

cjwkang93

HSC
Okay so i'm currently studying B.MedSci at USYD and i guess i am doing fine for now... also got an ATAR of 94.10 in 2011 HSC.
So i wanted to transfer to the following courses,
1. Comm/Law USYD
2. Comm/Law UNSW
3. Comm/law major Finance Macq
4. Comm/Adv Maths UNSW
5. Actuarial Studies/Applied Finance Macq
6. Actuarial Studies UNSW (a course that might be released in 2013)
7. Comm/Engineering UNSW
8. Comm/Sci(maths) UNSW

I did not list the courses in the order of what i want to least want or anything, just random order. I want to know whether if i have much of a chance of any of them. I'm still 1st year student for MedSci so i don't have a GPA or anything so i was wondering what kind of GPA i would require to transfer into those courses, just a rough estimate. I can sorta predict that i'm going to need a GPA of ~6.5 on a scale of 7 to get into Comm/Law for UNSW and USYD, i think...
Also, i'd appreciate it if anyone can post up some NRSL atar cut-off information that they have in hand :)

Dylanamali

HSC
you would definitely need a HD to hav any hopes of getting into comm/law at usyd or unsw. Even then, I don't like the look of your chances.

If your looking for a mid year transfer those courses also look unlikely - transferring into a course which had a higher ATAR cut off, without a GPA doesn't normally happen..

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Lol, someone just wants money.

Also, why didn't you just do a double degree of medsci/engg so you had options? Silly you.

I think swapping between faculties requires UAC applications and I'm not sure if USyd does it mid-year, but UNSW does and I think applications are open on UAC now.

Also, USyd gives marks and WAM not GPA and you'd need at least a D for even the lower entry courses there and probably around 80 WAM.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
wait, why would you go from med science to law? Just curious....

cjwkang93

HSC
haha well for 1 i only thought of all this after i enrolled and everything + i want to go towards law coz i sorta realised what i wanna do now, leaning towards business/law but major in finance since im strong with maths. I'm doing medical science thanks to my asian parents. I'm considering mid-year entry into commerce at USYD and just do well there to transfer. Also im not really considering mid year transfer, im considering transfer after i receive my GPA for 1 year of study lol.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
If you do an internal transfer then you could probs get credit for some of your subjects as electives something.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
1. Comm/Law USYD
2. Comm/Law UNSW

^ These are not possible if you want to graduate on time.

cjwkang93

HSC
what do you mean by graduate on time? tbh i wouldn't mind spending some time in uni if im doing something i like lol... that's where the fun is...
Also my alternate path is to complete medical science(3yrs), hopefully get a good score for gamsat and interview and get into med, then do 4 years post grad, all the intern and registrar crap etc etc
i think actuarial or comm/law is much better time-wise lol

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
1. Comm/Law USYD
2. Comm/Law UNSW

^ These are not possible if you want to graduate on time.
What do you mean "on time"?

His/her degree is only three years currently so there's no way s/he is finishing "on time"

cjwkang93

HSC
His/her degree is only three years currently so there's no way s/he is finishing "on time"
lol i dont plan to complete it haha, i might only do a year of it at maximum if i plan to move into a busines area

Cl324

HSC
N/A
What do you mean "on time"?

Nah I meant within the 5 years or whatever. I know someone who went from UWS Arts --> UNSW Arts ---> UNSW Arts/Law but graduated in 7 yrs

what do you mean by graduate on time? tbh i wouldn't mind spending some time in uni if im doing something i like lol... that's where the fun is...
Also my alternate path is to complete medical science(3yrs), hopefully get a good score for gamsat and interview and get into med, then do 4 years post grad, all the intern and registrar crap etc etc
i think actuarial or comm/law is much better time-wise lol
Engineering Actuarial Finance Medicine Law
No offence but you sound like your just looking for the easiest path to money. Didnt you say you had no interest in medicine in the other thread. Theres nothing wrong with being motivated by money but remember that what degree you choose now will likely dictate your life for the next 60 years so you probably want to find out what you actually want to do. Or you'll either end up hating your job or spending your uni life transferring between courses.

If you really want to get into UNSW then you could transfer into arts or something, enrol in commerce courses only and then transfer into Commerce/Engineering or whatever later because UNSW favours internal transfers

cjwkang93

HSC
Engineering Actuarial Finance Medicine Law
No offence but you sound like your just looking for the easiest path to money. Didnt you say you had no interest in medicine in the other thread. Theres nothing wrong with being motivated by money but remember that what degree you choose now will likely dictate your life for the next 60 years so you probably want to find out what you actually want to do. Or you'll either end up hating your job or spending your uni life transferring between courses.
i have no interest in medicine is why im getting out of MedSci... i'm just good at science, doesnt mean i like it or enjoy it though...
i have an interest for engineering coz i have strong background in maths and physics and my whole family on my mum's side are engineers so i've been influenced within the family. i am unsure of Law but i've spoken to elders and financial consultants and they recommended comm/law or comm/science(major in maths) or possibly actuarial(but unneccessary).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
i have no interest in medicine is why im getting out of MedSci... i'm just good at science, doesnt mean i like it or enjoy it though...
i have an interest for engineering coz i have strong background in maths and physics and my whole family on my mum's side are engineers so i've been influenced within the family. i am unsure of Law but i've spoken to elders and financial consultants and they recommended comm/law or comm/science(major in maths) or possibly actuarial(but unneccessary).
Then you should probably avoid it.

Engineering sounds like your best bet.

cjwkang93

HSC
If you really want to get into UNSW then you could transfer into arts or something, enrol in commerce courses only and then transfer into Commerce/Engineering or whatever later because UNSW favours internal transfers
i'm just curious, what is b.arts? lol... why do people do it? i dont even know what it is so i'll make this an opportunity to find out what it is..

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You don't know what Arts is?

Arts is the stuff where you learn English, history, philosophy, those humanities type subjects.

D94

HSC
N/A
I think it's definite that you won't have a chance to get into USyd LLB given that they suggest a 97+ ATAR and some D average. You might achieve UNSW LLB with a HD average. The others should be find with a D average or probably C (given that internal transfers for UNSW are like 65 WAM for Eng, Com, Sc).

cjwkang93

HSC
I think it's definite that you won't have a chance to get into USyd LLB given that they suggest a 97+ ATAR and some D average. You might achieve UNSW LLB with a HD average. The others should be find with a D average or probably C (given that internal transfers for UNSW are like 65 WAM for Eng, Com, Sc).
thanks

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Hypothetically speaking, what uni grades would someone need if they wished to transfer into Engo/Law at UNSW if their ATAR was 99.70?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)