Transferring into UNSW Commerce (1 Viewer)

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
1. im doing my HSC this year and i don't think i can get into commerce at UNSW but is it possible to transfer from like UWS or Macq and are they subjective on which uni you came from beforehand?

2. is it better to do courses within UNSW and then transfering to commerce or are they prioritized the same as people transferring from other unis?

3. Also, im still not really familiar with the credit stuff from free electives...does this mean i can be doing commerce subjects while i do Med Science or something?

4. So it's possible to transfer from a course of like 70 ATAR into something of 90 provided i did exceptionally well?

Last edited:

Shadowless

HSC
i think they only consider your WAM? (correct me if im wrong)

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
^
what's that? is that something you get after you complete a year of your course?

converge

HSC
N/A
Your WAM is your weighted average mark at university. This is a total of your marks divided by all the subjects you have done.

There are various ways to transfer into UNSW Commerce. As you said, you can do a business/commerce course at UWS, MQ, UTS and externally transfer. You would need to complete a full year in order for your university marks to be considered (If you choose to transfer mid-year, only your ATAR will be considered).

I believe you could also do Commerce electives at UNSW by doing an Arts or Science course and internally transfer. You would need a WAM of 75 or more to be successful. This path is a little risky I'd say because if you are unsuccessful, you could be stuck in a course you don't want to do.

Shadowless

HSC
Your WAM is your weighted average mark at university. This is a total of your marks divided by all the subjects you have done.

There are various ways to transfer into UNSW Commerce. As you said, you can do a business/commerce course at UWS, MQ, UTS and externally transfer. You would need to complete a full year in order for your university marks to be considered (If you choose to transfer mid-year, only your ATAR will be considered).

I believe you could also do Commerce electives at UNSW by doing an Arts or Science course and internally transfer. You would need a WAM of 75 or more to be successful. This path is a little risky I'd say because if you are unsuccessful, you could be stuck in a course you don't want to do.
if in doubt, refer to converge's sig

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
depending on what you want to major in, I think studying B economics at UNSW is also a good idea. if you're good, you'd be able to transfer out either externally or internally after a year and all your credits will still count (if you choose the right subjects).

sweetangelx

HSC
Is it hard to get into unsw commerce? Like if you meet the atar requirement, do they still select people be ause goo many people want to get in?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Most people would apply through an internal and external (UAC) transfer. The former will be based on WAM and the latter on ATAR. As wantingtoknow mentioned, if you're good both avenues are available.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it hard to get into unsw commerce? Like if you meet the atar requirement, do they still select people be ause goo many people want to get in?
The ATAR requirement will take into account the number of positions available. Say there is 2000 spots then the last person accepted will be the cut-off. Therefore if you meet the cut-off you'll get in.

Is it hard? Depends but there's HSC plus points which give up to +5 and other stuff so something like 89-91 should be fine.

Rawf

HSC
The ATAR requirement will take into account the number of positions available. Say there is 2000 spots then the last person accepted will be the cut-off. Therefore if you meet the cut-off you'll get in.

Is it hard? Depends but there's HSC plus points which give up to +5 and other stuff so something like 89-91 should be fine.
If there are 2000 spots available, and the 2000th person has an atar of say 91.3, will they accept ALL students with an ATAR of 91.3? (maybe there were 30 people with an atar of 91.3 that applied for the course) or will they only take about 1-30 depending on how many spots remaining, and if so how do they pick?

D94

HSC
N/A
If there are 2000 spots available, and the 2000th person has an atar of say 91.3, will they accept ALL students with an ATAR of 91.3? (maybe there were 30 people with an atar of 91.3 that applied for the course) or will they only take about 1-30 depending on how many spots remaining, and if so how do they pick?
It's up to the university and the criteria they give to UAC (it could differ between courses; some courses might include all 30 students, others might not offer an extra 30 places), but I don't think there is enough public information to give a definitive answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)