Roll Call for those trying to transfer into Usyd/UNSW law this Year - 2013 (1 Viewer)

ujhwa

HSC
Hi everyone.

I've created this thread for two reasons;

1. So that we can comfort each other (or not) as the 2013 UAC main round approaches.

2. In understanding how well we are placed to get into our desired courses through evaluating each other's chances.

For the meantime, please tell us your NRSL rank (GPA + ATAR).

This is how I'm placed.

ATAR: 99.25

GPA: 6.0

NRSL: 97.625

Do you think I'm in or not?

neontiger

HSC
I'd say you were in at USYD!

I'm currently at...

ATAR: 99.4
GPA: 6.125
NRSL: 97.7

Based on what I've heard from friends who've transferred into USYD law, the NRSL cut-off for transfers last year was around the low 97's.

ujhwa

HSC
Has the NRSL cut-off for Usyd Law consistently remained around the low 97's over the past few years?

harleyd93

HSC
Atar 99.55,
gpa 6.625

best of luck everybody :)

Last edited:

neontiger

HSC
How do you calculate NRSL?

ATAR: 98.75
GPA: 6.875
You convert GPA to a selection rank/100, add ATAR and GPA and divide by two. :)

So yours would be 98.75 + 99.5/2 = 99.125 - I'd say you're definitely in at USYD

View attachment gparank.pdf

Has the NRSL cut-off for Usyd Law consistently remained around the low 97's over the past few years?
Apparently it's changed quite a bit. 2012 transfers it was around low 97's but I heard that 2011 transfers it was significantly higher than previous years. It just depends on supply and demand I guess...

I've also been told that USYD gives preference to students already studying at USYD. I don't know whether there's any truth to this but I have friends who transferred into USYD law from a USYD BA or BCom with lower marks than friends who tried to transfer in from other universities. :/

Last edited:

harleyd93

HSC

Satsii

HSC
N/A
This thread is very worrying to me. I completed my HSC in 2007 when UAI was still used. I had no ambition of studying at university, and received an ATAR equivalent of 64 ish. I've since completed my first year at UOW with a GPA of 6.13

In my application will they still consider my horrible ATAR? I mean it was five years ago, surely it shouldn't weigh much?

neontiger

HSC
This thread is very worrying to me. I completed my HSC in 2007 when UAI was still used. I had no ambition of studying at university, and received an ATAR equivalent of 64 ish. I've since completed my first year at UOW with a GPA of 6.13

In my application will they still consider my horrible ATAR? I mean it was five years ago, surely it shouldn't weigh much?
I have no idea to be honest. The say they look at 50/50 ATAR/GPA or 100 GPA - whichever is higher - but I don't know if they actually do.

Regardless, I think your GPA is too low for the latter method. The cut-offs for transfer entry into USYD law posted above have been 96+ for the past five years. A GPA of 6.13 is equivalent to a rank of 96 on the selection scale I posted above. So even based on 100% GPA, you only would have made it in one year (2009). If you wanted a good shot of making it in based on 100% GPA, you'd need at least a 6.2, probably a 6.3+.

I'd be interested to see how your application goes though. I'd really like to know whether they actually do consider people based on 100% GPA.

Satsii

HSC
N/A
I have no idea to be honest. The say they look at 50/50 ATAR/GPA or 100 GPA - whichever is higher - but I don't know if they actually do.

Regardless, I think your GPA is too low for the latter method. The cut-offs for transfer entry into USYD law posted above have been 96+ for the past five years. A GPA of 6.13 is equivalent to a rank of 96 on the selection scale I posted above. So even based on 100% GPA, you only would have made it in one year (2009). If you wanted a good shot of making it in based on 100% GPA, you'd need at least a 6.2, probably a 6.3+.

I'd be interested to see how your application goes though. I'd really like to know whether they actually do consider people based on 100% GPA.
I am applying for Bachelor of Commerce not law, I've put UNSW as my first preference and USYD as second. I've also found a resource from QTAC that converts WAM to ATAR, and it suggests my WAM is equivalent to a 98 ATAR. So I really will just have to wait and see I guess. From what I've read, USYD definitely consider both WAM and ATAR for transfers, however UNSW takes which ever is higher, being 100% ATAR/WAM or 50/50 ATAR/WAM.

I will post back here when I find out

neontiger

HSC
I am applying for Bachelor of Commerce not law, I've put UNSW as my first preference and USYD as second. I've also found a resource from QTAC that converts WAM to ATAR, and it suggests my WAM is equivalent to a 98 ATAR. So I really will just have to wait and see I guess. From what I've read, USYD definitely consider both WAM and ATAR for transfers, however UNSW takes which ever is higher, being 100% ATAR/WAM or 50/50 ATAR/WAM.

I will post back here when I find out
Ooops sorry! I'm fairly certain the QTAC table is only applicable to Queensland admissions - the other one above is for NSW admissions. Even with a 96 I think you'd have a good chance of getting into UNSW or USYD Commerce! :)

Satsii

HSC
N/A
Ooops sorry! I'm fairly certain the QTAC table is only applicable to Queensland admissions - the other one above is for NSW admissions. Even with a 96 I think you'd have a good chance of getting into UNSW or USYD Commerce! :)
No problem at all. That is interesting I thought the whole idea of an ATAR was so that the playing field was somewhat 'level'.

ujhwa

HSC
I know this is more or less clarified through the link I have posted above, but what do you guys think the minimum NRSL rank will be this year for entry into Usyd law?

sassquach

HSC
GPA: 6.125

fingers freaking crossed the NRSL is 96, good luck to you all!!

sydneyitee

HSC
do you think that the guaranteed 100 places for unsw law internal transfers will impact the usyd nrsl rank?

daftmau5

HSC
2012 Atar: 98.25
GPA: 6.0

NSRL: 97.125. I think i'm on the borderline which makes me so damn nervous.

Best of luck everyone in this thread. Just by looking at your marks, i can tell that you're all hard workers and that you deserve this. It'll be brilliant if we all get in. :)

do you think that the guaranteed 100 places for unsw law internal transfers will impact the usyd nrsl rank?
Wouldn't it mean non-UNSW students with high marks who've missed out at UNSW will be forced into Usyd? And if so, the usyd nrsl rank will rise =/

Last edited:
C

coolalbino

GPA: 6.375 = 98 NRSL.

Good luck to everyone :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)