First year transfer, dropping actuarial studies (1 Viewer)

Staaahp

HSC
I'm in UNSW doing first year actuarial studies and am struggling badly. Wondering what are my best chances with transferring into a single commerce degree.

Do they consider WAM for internal transfers for semester 2 even for first year students?

If so, is it wiser for me to drop it completely and apply somewhere else via UAC?

Thanks guys.

nightweaver066

HSC
Need any help? Msg me :)

I think they do consider your WAM even for first year students.

I've heard it's much easier to transfer within your uni than applying to another.

zhiying

HSC
Hi, if you are having difficulty with ACTL1101, I think it is best if you discuss this with Brian or Anh.

If you aren't comfortable with talking to them, you're always welcome to talk to one of the PASS Leaders (e.g. me) about where you're having difficulty and how we can help you address it.

We really need to know more information about where and what types of struggles you have to give you advice. But yeah transferring within UNSW is a lot simpler. You only need to go through UAC if you apply to another uni.

Staaahp

HSC
Thanks to both of you for the responses. Given the initial exposure to the course, I cannot see myself working in the actuary field in the future and decided that it's best to partake in a commerce degree.
With the internal transfer, would they let me drop straight to commerce for semester 2? Or are other factors considered?

nightweaver066

HSC
Thanks to both of you for the responses. Given the initial exposure to the course, I cannot see myself working in the actuary field in the future and decided that it's best to partake in a commerce degree.
With the internal transfer, would they let me drop straight to commerce for semester 2? Or are other factors considered?
I don't think it's possible to "drop straight to commerce" as it's now a separate degree.

From the UNSW website:
Eligibility requirements criteria:

Weighted Average Mark (WAM) in current program or overall studies at UNSW;
Units of Credit (UOC) completed and/or enrolled in;
‘Good’ Academic Standing;
No fee blocks (e.g. outstanding tuition fees);
Places available in program.
Have a look at this page if you haven't already:
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/InternalProgramTransfer.html

kenkap

HSC
if i end up with 60ish WAM for 1st semester, does that stuff up my chances of getting good cadetships/apprenticeships or a career in general????..im confident of improving to a great extent in next and later semesters

sghguos

HSC
N/A
if i end up with 60ish WAM for 1st semester, does that stuff up my chances of getting good cadetships/apprenticeships or a career in general????..im confident of improving to a great extent in next and later semesters
bro, you only need 55+ wam in actuarial studies cuz its that hard and the employers know it. So pretty much if u have 60 wam by the end of the degree you can legit land 100k + salary straight off the bat as long as you arent a social retard.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You can't transfer yet. You need to do a year before you can transfer. A 65 wam is generally required to transfer.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
bro, you only need 55+ wam in actuarial studies cuz its that hard and the employers know it. So pretty much if u have 60 wam by the end of the degree you can legit land 100k + salary straight off the bat as long as you arent a social retard.
55 wam lol try 80+ mate..

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
you need like 65+ to be qualified

p3rf3ction

HSC
In other words, if you don't act like "sghguos", you'll be fine. Fair point.

HSC
Uni Grad
You can only apply for internal transfer if you have done 36 UOC worth of subjects. Otherwise you'll need to apply through UAC.

And GG, the amount of ppl wanting to drop actuarial coz they realize how hard and unworthy the rewards are....

nightweaver066

HSC
You can only apply for internal transfer if you have done 36 UOC worth of subjects. Otherwise you'll need to apply through UAC.

And GG, the amount of ppl wanting to drop actuarial coz they realize how hard and unworthy the rewards are....
Quite a few people so far i think..

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I don't think it's possible to "drop straight to commerce" as it's now a separate degree.

From the UNSW website:

Have a look at this page if you haven't already:
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/InternalProgramTransfer.html
Nah bro you can as you're technically "dropping down" in degrees. It's like in the hsc when you want to drop from 4u to 3u, your academic record isn't taken into account.

apparently 60 less people are taking the next actl sub #actlgossip

(though ofc some will be doing the 2 accounting subs in place of 1122)

who is this
KB you've been exposed bro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)