ANU to USYD/UNSW law (1 Viewer)

hydrangea

HSC
Hey everyone.
I received an offer from ANU flexible degree law but i really wanted to get into USYD/UNSW combined law instead.
I am planning to transfer to those unis after first year, or if even possible, after semester one.
My atar was 96.05.
What GPA am i required to have a high chance in transferring? As i have heard that ANU marks really harshly, does this affect my chances at all?

Everything is appreciated. Thanks!

Brian1800

HSC
If ANU uses a 5 point GPA system, then a 4.5/5 or more should suffice.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
GPA is out of 7 scale. 5 C 6 D 7 HD

I think you need at least a min 6.0 to transfer but would need a 6.5 to be externally competitive.

jaydizzlegear

HSC

I think you need at least a min 6.0 to transfer but would need a 6.5 to be externally competitive.
this guy is wrong, I got a 6.2 gpa, (with consideration), and I got into USYD and I have heard of people with lower GPAs/NRSLs than mine getting into USYD/UNSW, but of course, if you get 6.5 GPA you are in as fuck, but if you get lower than that you still have a good chance even externally.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey everyone.
I received an offer from ANU flexible degree law but i really wanted to get into USYD/UNSW combined law instead.
I am planning to transfer to those unis after first year, or if even possible, after semester one.
My atar was 96.05.
What GPA am i required to have a high chance in transferring? As i have heard that ANU marks really harshly, does this affect my chances at all?

Everything is appreciated. Thanks!
Hey hydrangea,

First of all, congratulations on your flexible law degree offer from ANU!

You'll need to complete 1 year at ANU or else, they'll only consider your ATAR (which doesn't meet the cut-off) instead of your ATAR + tertiary marks.

It's primarily based on supply and demand so there's no real ''GPA requirement''. However, a Distinction GPA is definitely enough to make you competitive.

Yes, it can affect your chances because your tertiary results (which will contribute to your chances) may be less competitive. I'm not sure about others but I definitely found the Business part of my combined law degree to be a GPA booster while the Law component dragged down my GPA in comparison.

I recommend that you check out the following threads if you want to have a better idea of the expectations/benchmark.

[HR][/HR]

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/332999/roll-call-all-those-who-trying-transfer-into-usyd-unsw-law-2015-a.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/297952/roll-call-those-trying-transfer-into-usyd-unsw-law-year-2013-a.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/253865/roll-call-those-trying-transfer-usyd-unsw-law-year.html

[HR][/HR]

http://community.boredofstudies.org/115/university-new-south-wales/332024/unsw-%E2%86%92-guide-transferring-internally-law.html#post6834487

(Post about an external transfer from ANU to UNSW Combined Law)

[HR][/HR]

hydrangea

HSC

this guy is wrong, I got a 6.2 gpa, (with consideration), and I got into USYD and I have heard of people with lower GPAs/NRSLs than mine getting into USYD/UNSW, but of course, if you get 6.5 GPA you are in as fuck, but if you get lower than that you still have a good chance even externally.
Hey hydrangea,

First of all, congratulations on your flexible law degree offer from ANU!

You'll need to complete 1 year at ANU or else, they'll only consider your ATAR (which doesn't meet the cut-off) instead of your ATAR + tertiary marks.

It's primarily based on supply and demand so there's no real ''GPA requirement''. However, a Distinction GPA is definitely enough to make you competitive.

Yes, it can affect your chances because your tertiary results (which will contribute to your chances) may be less competitive. I'm not sure about others but I definitely found the Business part of my combined law degree to be a GPA booster while the Law component dragged down my GPA in comparison.

I recommend that you check out the following threads if you want to have a better idea of the expectations/benchmark.

[HR][/HR]

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/332999/roll-call-all-those-who-trying-transfer-into-usyd-unsw-law-2015-a.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/297952/roll-call-those-trying-transfer-into-usyd-unsw-law-year-2013-a.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/253865/roll-call-those-trying-transfer-usyd-unsw-law-year.html

[HR][/HR]

http://community.boredofstudies.org/115/university-new-south-wales/332024/unsw-%E2%86%92-guide-transferring-internally-law.html#post6834487

(Post about an external transfer from ANU to UNSW Combined Law)

[HR][/HR]
Thank you all for your opinions! Highly appreciated.
Just another question - do they consider what subject you're doing for first year at all?
Because for some subjects, from what i heard such as business, are easier to achieve better marks (hence higher chance of getting D/HD).
Will this disadvantage me as i am doing law (which is not too easy i suppose)?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you all for your opinions! Highly appreciated.
Just another question - do they consider what subject you're doing for first year at all?
Because for some subjects, from what i heard such as business, are easier to achieve better marks (hence higher chance of getting D/HD).
Will this disadvantage me as i am doing law (which is not too easy i suppose)?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but...

I was under the assumption that they do not care about your current degree (e.g. Law, engineering, commerce/business, arts, science, etc.) but only the results (amount of Ps, CRs, DNs and HDs) and the GPA/WAM (e.g. distinction average) that you get in your degree.

This means a 6.0 GPA or 75 WAM, for example, in Arts is probably treated the same as a 6.0 GPA or 75 WAM in Arts/Law or just a single Law degree (even though it's most likely harder to achieve the same mark with Arts/Law or Law).

However, most COMBINED law students will do around 6 non-law courses/subjects (e.g. Arts or Commerce) and 2 law courses/subjects in their first year so it's not too bad. However, it's a different story if one is doing just Law (which is only offered by 1 or 2 universities in NSW? E.g. UTS)

jaydizzlegear

HSC
Please correct me if I'm wrong but...

I was under the assumption that they do not care about your current degree (e.g. Law, engineering, commerce/business, arts, science, etc.) but only the results (amount of Ps, CRs, DNs and HDs) and the GPA/WAM (e.g. distinction average) that you get in your degree.

This means a 6.0 GPA or 75 WAM, for example, in Arts is probably treated the same as a 6.0 GPA or 75 WAM in Arts/Law or just a single Law degree (even though it's most likely harder to achieve the same mark with Arts/Law or Law).

However, most COMBINED law students will do around 6 non-law courses/subjects (e.g. Arts or Commerce) and 2 law courses/subjects in their first year so it's not too bad. However, it's a different story if one is doing just Law (which is only offered by 1 or 2 universities in NSW? E.g. UTS)
Yeah, I've heard they don't take into account what degree/subjects you did in first year (bullshit imo), but I've also heard the staff at each uni have a lot of discretion when considering applicants to their law faculties.

sheeny

HSC
Hi everyone!
I'm currently in my first year at ANU in law/finance but am really wanting to transfer to UNSW or USyd law/commerce next year. I was wondering if you get credit transfer or would I have to start from scratch again?

My atar was 98.4, so I missed out on getting in straight from year 12 :(

Ethicks

HSC
Hi everyone!
I'm currently in my first year at ANU in law/finance but am really wanting to transfer to UNSW or USyd law/commerce next year. I was wondering if you get credit transfer or would I have to start from scratch again?

My atar was 98.4, so I missed out on getting in straight from year 12 :(
You can credit transfer the same units just make sure to keep a copy of your course outlines and an original (from the university not printed from home) transcript.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)