Transferring from UWS Law to UNSW/ANU (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I'm currently a 2nd year student doing b. comm/arts at unsw and I feel like I'm stuck in a degree which I don't enjoy with marks that aren't too good.

since the start of my degree, I wanted to do law, however, from some reason, I chose to do comm. I was thinking of transferring to UWS and then after a semester or two (considering I do well) transfer back to unsw or possibly anu and into law.

what's the difficulty in attempting to transfer from uws to unsw or anu? What kind of marks will I be needing?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
It will be easier to transfer internally. Not too sure if its a bit late, but seems like the case. Usually people who look to transfer internally undergo the easiest subjects all in one go, to get the 80 wam. And worry about the rest once their enrolled in a law degree

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I havent heard of anyone doing the uws-unsw transfer (let alone if it's possible). How about UTS? Or MQ?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
One thing to note is that when you transfer to UWS/UTS/MQ you are probably going to want to get credit for your commerce subjects. At UTS at least (and I assume it'd be the same in most Comm/Law and Bus/Law programs) most people who transfer into UNSW/USYD after first year do it primarily as a result of getting good marks in the first year core business subjects which are easier than Law subjects and the second/third year business subjects - they usually get comparatively "low" (how it compares to the cohort, I dont know) marks in the few law subjects they complete.

So it wont be quite as straight forward as the people who transfer after first year, BUT you would still be in a Law course and you could still try to transfer back to UNSW if you wanted.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I actually would recommend you finishing your degree and doing a Juris doctor (graduate law program) instead, the entry requirements are generally lower compared to internal or external transferring during your undergraduate degree. Just try to make sure you do as well as you can in your current degree, I think your suggested path of transferring back and forth might waste some unnecessary time and holds significant uncertainty-i.e. what happens if you don't enjoy your course at uws or anu and don't get the marks to transfer back to UNSW law?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
JD's are very expensive though. It's impossible to get a CSP place unless you have a previous master's degree so it's super time consuming when you think about it.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
People have actually done what you've suggested so it isn't that strange - transferring back and forth. Firstly, I would highly recommend NOT doing JD. It is expensive and given the legal market atm and in the foreseeable future - it is simply not worth it unless you consider yourself an absolute gun of a student who will smash the degree and get 1st Class Honours type WAM. Law entry is no where near as competitive as it used to be so it simply is not enough to have an LLB. In addition, you need exceptional marks, exceptional work experience and connections.

It makes little sense to go and do Law at UWS because even though it will almost certainly be at a lower standard and easier than usyd/unsw - you're unlikely to pull 80+ in law units given you aren't performing well in 1st/2nd year comm/arts units. Are you on a credit atm? If so, you could try UTS law - which is actually a really good law school in sydney and you might get in. If not, you could pursue the alternative of transferring degrees (so your WAM resets) and then trying to get into usyd/unsw law as you suggested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)