MACQ S.Eng --> UNSW S.Eng? (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Hey! My ATAR was 86.45 this year, so I'm unable to get into Software Engineering at UNSW which requires 91 ATAR. My plan is to do B Engineering (Software) at Macquarie University, work towards a high GPA then transfer to UNSW.

Few questions:
What GPA will I roughly need?
How long will it take?
Any better options to get into UNSW?

Last edited:

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
How is your performance in specific subjects in the HSC? You can get bonus points if you did well. Try putting UNSW Software as your first preference anyways, because you know you will definitely get the Macquarie offer anyways?

Check here:
https://iaro.online.unsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc.bonus_point

Otherwise, you do a years full-time worth of study at Macquarie with a Distinction average (75 +) in order to be safe and confident for a transfer. Try applying for USyd Software as well, its around 89 last year if i recall correctly?

Alternatively, you could also do a Bachelor of Science at UNSW (which requires 84) and say you do a major in Mathematics and study relevant courses for Software (except SENG1031) and score a credit average of 65+ by the end of year, you will get a transfer into Software Engineering. This isn't a bad idea, it's 'easier', but also risker. The only course you'll miss is SENG1031 as I've mentioned.

FlyingKanga

HSC
How is your performance in specific subjects in the HSC? You can get bonus points if you did well. Try putting UNSW Software as your first preference anyways, because you know you will definitely get the Macquarie offer anyways?

Check here:
https://iaro.online.unsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc.bonus_point

Otherwise, you do a years full-time worth of study at Macquarie with a Distinction average (75 +) in order to be safe and confident for a transfer. Try applying for USyd Software as well, its around 89 last year if i recall correctly?

Alternatively, you could also do a Bachelor of Science at UNSW (which requires 84) and say you do a major in Mathematics and study relevant courses for Software (except SENG1031) and score a credit average of 65+ by the end of year, you will get a transfer into Software Engineering. This isn't a bad idea, it's 'easier', but also risker. The only course you'll miss is SENG1031 as I've mentioned.
I can't get into UNSW software with bonus points, however I can get into B Information Systems? I feel like I'll waste time doing B Science but I honestly have no understanding of what to do at the moment.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Hey! My ATAR was 86.45 this year, so I'm unable to get into Software Engineering at UNSW which requires 91 ATAR. My plan is to do B Engineering (Software) at Macquarie University, work towards a high GPA then transfer to UNSW.

Few questions:
What GPA will I roughly need?
How long will it take?
Any better options to get into UNSW?
Have you applied for Feas at UNSW?
Try to get into sydney's flexible first year as it has a mid 80s cutoff and pick software electives

FlyingKanga

HSC
Have you applied for Feas at UNSW?
Try to get into sydney's flexible first year as it has a mid 80s cutoff and pick software electives
I did apply for FEAS but I wasn't able to follow through with the interview since I went overseas. I sent them an email but I think its too late. Sydney's flexible first year looks like a viable option, thanks for telling me about that. But is Macquarie really that weak of a university in front of the big two?

dodoif

HSC
N/A
Hey, I actually recommend applying for Software Engineering at either UTS or USYD (if you are able to) rather than MQU. This is because Macqaurie's engineering department is quiet new and to an extent not "verified". Therefore, most of the universities which have more established engineering departments, such as UNSW, do not give out credit recognition when students transfer into their courses from MQU engineering. This forces the students to pretty much re-do the 1st year subjects and thus take an extra year or so to graduate.

Another option is to accept a course such as B Info Sys, and after a year of study with a WAM (average mark) of above 65, you will be able apply for an internal program transfer, which is in theory and in practice a lot easier. In regards to getting your credits fully recognised, obviously all of your credits are recognisable. However, as Info Sys and Software Engineering are at the end of the day different degrees which require different sets of subjects, you may also have to spend an extra semester or two.

At the end of the day it's actually your decision, but I would recommend you to study software engineering at either UTS or USYD if you think you would be able to get the sufficient mark needed in order for you to transfer (~65+).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Hey, I actually recommend applying for Software Engineering at either UTS or USYD (if you are able to) rather than MQU. This is because Macqaurie's engineering department is quiet new and to an extent not "verified". Therefore, most of the universities which have more established engineering departments, such as UNSW, do not give out credit recognition when students transfer into their courses from MQU engineering. This forces the students to pretty much re-do the 1st year subjects and thus take an extra year or so to graduate.

Another option is to accept a course such as B Info Sys, and after a year of study with a WAM (average mark) of above 65, you will be able apply for an internal program transfer, which is in theory and in practice a lot easier. In regards to getting your credits fully recognised, obviously all of your credits are recognisable. However, as Info Sys and Software Engineering are at the end of the day different degrees which require different sets of subjects, you may also have to spend an extra semester or two.

At the end of the day it's actually your decision, but I would recommend you to study software engineering at either UTS or USYD if you think you would be able to get the sufficient mark needed in order for you to transfer (~65+).
I know people with ~86 that got USYD offers for one of the comp sci/IT/SEng flexible courses in previous years. If you are set on UNSW, Usyd is probably the smart choice too as transferring credit between Go8 universities is a lot simpler.

FlyingKanga

HSC
Thanks everyone for the replies! I've changed my preferences to USYD Flexible First Year Engineering as 1st but I'm looking for other options in which I can internally transfer at UNSW.

What would be the best option at UNSW out of:
B Material Science and Engineering
B Science
B Information Systems

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
Just come to USyd. We inflate our atars quite a lot, so you will get into S Eng easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)