Transferring from UNSW Commerce to USYD Commerce/Law?? (1 Viewer)

miaoww

HSC
So I am going to do Commerce (International) at UNSW next year, but I do want to transfer to law. However, UNSW is introducing this new law entrance exam in 2017 which is making me nervous (unsure if I will pass it because I have no idea what it will involve).

I am stuck between 2 options:

a) Going ahead with Commerce at UNSW (more convenient location for me) and trying my best to transfer to Law - if I fail the entrance exam I can try and move to USYD Comm/Law but I don't know much about how this transfer would work at all/how hard it would be.

b) Doing USYD Commerce next year and trying to transfer internally.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
well your first preference is unsw comm/law so you try unsw commerce first

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Go to USYD. That's where you want to be, so go there. Try and transfer into USYD law (which has no entrance test), but still sit the LAT for UNSW to keep options open.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go to USYD. That's where you want to be, so go there. Try and transfer into USYD law (which has no entrance test), but still sit the LAT for UNSW to keep options open.
wat

USyd is the preference if UNSW does not accept her

pls work on your comprehension skills as a future lawyer

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Why are you nervous about unsw law entry. They made the whole process easier. Transferring into unsw law is materially easier than usyd law. Usyd has no "internal transfers" so you aren't disadvantaged coming from unsw. So just do unsw comm

Gabriel Moussa

HSC
Why are you nervous about unsw law entry. They made the whole process easier. Transferring into unsw law is materially easier than usyd law. Usyd has no "internal transfers" so you aren't disadvantaged coming from unsw. So just do unsw comm
How is the Law Admission test an easier process ?

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
How is the Law Admission test an easier process ?
Lower marks required in terms of wam/atar which is advantageous for anyone looking to transfer given that you're atar wouldn't have been that "high". Also being a 1dt year uni student, would have an advantage over hsc students juggling that with hsc workload. Plus, law admissions will probably drop now because as we all know, a large proportion only pick law after getting their atars.

Gabriel Moussa

HSC
Lower marks required in terms of wam/atar which is advantageous for anyone looking to transfer given that you're atar wouldn't have been that "high". Also being a 1dt year uni student, would have an advantage over hsc students juggling that with hsc workload. Plus, law admissions will probably drop now because as we all know, a large proportion only pick law after getting their atars.
Didn't mean it in an arrogant sense at all was genuine in my question,
Thankyou for the perspective dude :)

Freyo

HSC
I'm in your exact same position. A very good point to make is that UNSW has a guaranteed minimum of 100 spots for UNSW students ONLY who are internally transferring to law while USYD doesn't. Also speaking on the phone with UNSW, they said they only take a handful of students from other unis, so I think the safer option would be to go UNSW commerce and try and transfer internally (that way you have access to those 100 spots) and at the same time not be disadvantaged by applying to USYD externally. Whereas if you go USYD you 1) don't have a guaranteed number of spots and 2) much less likely to get into UNSW if USYD doesn't work out.

I'm a bit worried about the LAT myself but like someone else said, it makes it less competitive in a sense that less people are gonna apply for it (e.g. 99+ students who feel obliged to put law as their first preference because they got the ATAR for it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)