Internal law transfer likelihood at UNSW /USYD? (1 Viewer)

cryovolcano

HSC
N/A
I got an Atar of 93.25 and I plan to take the bachelor degree of Arts at Sydney University for admission this year, hopefully after I have studied for one year full-time with a full-time load I can acheive a WAM eligible to transfer into the law faculty. I really want to know what grades do I need in my courses to have them considered for a transfer. USYD is my first choice but I have heard that for a USYD current student, an Atar of about 97 is needed to transfer into law.So I selected UNSW as my first preference.However USYD told me that they will only take the overall average mark in the first year into account, not Atar. So confused!!Looking forward to hearing some advice. Thanks!!

Last edited:

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
UNSW doesn't look at ATAR when internally transferring and guarantees 100 internal transfers into law - best bet would be UNSW. Also, USYD's competitive law transfer is 97, and your atar right now is quite a detriment to you.

cryovolcano

HSC
N/A
UNSW doesn't look at ATAR when internally transferring and guarantees 100 internal transfers into law - best bet would be UNSW. Also, USYD's competitive law transfer is 97, and your atar right now is quite a detriment to you.
Thank you for your reply:p Where have you heard that USYD's competitive law transfer is 97? Apparently the student centre denied this.

crowley926

HSC
Thank you for your reply:p Where have you heard that USYD's competitive law transfer is 97? Apparently the student centre denied this.
Woah it used to say 97 on their website but I just checked again and it says you need 99+ to be competitive holy shit ? http://sydney.edu.au/law/fstudent/undergrad/apply_local.shtml like am I reading that right??

In any case after 1 year of uni they'll just consider your WAM if that's better than ur ATAR (and it has to be, to be competitive)

cryovolcano

HSC
N/A
Woah it used to say 97 on their website but I just checked again and it says you need 99+ to be competitive holy shit ? http://sydney.edu.au/law/fstudent/undergrad/apply_local.shtml like am I reading that right??

In any case after 1 year of uni they'll just consider your WAM if that's better than ur ATAR (and it has to be, to be competitive)
Thanks!! B Arts/Law at USYD or UNSW? Which one is a better choice? What about B international Studies vs B Arts?

Last edited:

crowley926

HSC
Thanks!! B Arts/Law at USYD or UNSW? Which one is a better choice? What about B international Studies vs B Arts?
Both are very good universities - have a read at other threads on here and possibly whirlpool for detailed pros and cons. Going to one over the other won't significantly compromise your employment opportunities.

As for the second question it really depends on what you want to do. The main difference is with Intl Studies you get to learn a language as part of the degree. Otherwise, Arts is very broad so if you don't want to learn a language but like intl studies you can do Arts and choose a major and units relevant to international relation etc.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

Wasn't that the reason why USYD dropped their ATAR requirement for Law? So that they get more law students from high school, and fewer from internal transfers. That would probably be why they raised it up to 99+.

cryovolcano

HSC
N/A
Both are very good universities - have a read at other threads on here and possibly whirlpool for detailed pros and cons. Going to one over the other won't significantly compromise your employment opportunities.

As for the second question it really depends on what you want to do. The main difference is with Intl Studies you get to learn a language as part of the degree. Otherwise, Arts is very broad so if you don't want to learn a language but like intl studies you can do Arts and choose a major and units relevant to international relation etc.
Very detailed response!!Thanks!!!

crowley926

HSC
Wasn't that the reason why USYD dropped their ATAR requirement for Law? So that they get more law students from high school, and fewer from internal transfers. That would probably be why they raised it up to 99+.
Lols just saw this now but also no they didn't drop the ATAR cut off did they?? I'm pretty sure it stayed at 99.5.. I think the reason they raised it to 99 is simply because there's so much competition and heaps of kids between 99.00-99.45 missing out and going for transfers that anyone getting <99 virtually has no chance compared to them (academically anyway)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I was talking about internal transfers. USYD is accepting more high-school leavers into Law, and accepting fewer transfers. To accept more high-school leavers, they dropped the ATAR to 99.5 officially. To accept fewer transfer students, the required ATAR/WAM's increase since they'll only be taking the top x people, instead of the top 2x people (or whatever the numbers are).

crowley926

HSC
I was talking about internal transfers. USYD is accepting more high-school leavers into Law, and accepting fewer transfers. To accept more high-school leavers, they dropped the ATAR to 99.5 officially. To accept fewer transfer students, the required ATAR/WAM's increase since they'll only be taking the top x people, instead of the top 2x people (or whatever the numbers are).
Oh yeah soz misunderstood you

Any reason they prefer high school leavers to people transferring?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)