Should I transfer to UNSW computer science from USYD computer science (1 Viewer)

DanielSpaniel

HSC
Uni Grad
I did a year of science at USYD now I am transferring into computer science (advanced) there. However, I have heard that UNSW has a better rep for comp sci and according to this source grads from UNSW in the IT field have an employment rate 17% higher than USYD! (http://www.afr.com/news/policy/educ...mployment-universities-jobless-20140817-j8hpd). However, I already have two IT units completed at USYD.

My question is, would it be worthwhile giving up on B computer science (advanced) at USYD and transferring to B Computer Science at UNSW?

ayad8

HSC
can you please give me your thoughts about the computer science sourse at usyd as i will be commencing the same degree as a first year student

trist117

HSC
I am as well, could you tell me how good the course is? is usdy crap for comp sci?

turntaker

HSC
It doesn't matter where you complete your degree. You will not be jobless. Its all up to the individual and not what uni you are from.

Generally most people say UNSW comp sci > usyd comp sci.

trist117

HSC
It doesn't matter where you complete your degree. You will not be jobless. Its all up to the individual and not what uni you are from.

Generally most people say UNSW comp sci > usyd comp sci.
No it doesn't. You can even get a job from UWS if you apply yourself. smart people are smart people.

Though what is a determining factor is the actual opportunities provided by the university for your career, such as leadership opportunities, networking and industry placement opportunities, all of which helps you obtain a BETTER job, all of which UNSW has more of in the computer science department.

Social life is also a factor. If you prefer the social life at UNSW, which its close to a beach so I would, then that is a factor.

I hope you are still planning to transfer after a year turntaker

turntaker

HSC
No it doesn't. You can even get a job from UWS if you apply yourself. smart people are smart people.

Though what is a determining factor is the actual opportunities provided by the university for your career, such as leadership opportunities, networking and industry placement opportunities, all of which helps you obtain a BETTER job, all of which UNSW has more of in the computer science department.

Social life is also a factor. If you prefer the social life at UNSW, which its close to a beach so I would, then that is a factor.

I hope you are still planning to transfer after a year turntaker
Yes thats still my plan as of now :)

DanielSpaniel

HSC
Uni Grad
I ended up sticking with USyd, as I got a place in the advanced stream and a part-time IT job through the IT society here.

trist117

HSC
I ended up sticking with USyd, as I got a place in the advanced stream and a part-time IT job through the IT society here.
Hey Daniel I'm going to usyd this year, can you tell me how to join the IT society? Like I cant find anywhere on their website on how to join it? I should I just turn up to some building on february 28th?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)