conflicted (1 Viewer)

bookshelf1

HSC
N/A
Im currently a 2nd year student at MACQ, having just finished my course year units in the bachelor of applied finance and bachelor of prof accounting. I've been offered a spot a USYD commerce, I want to transfer but the only thing holding me back is my credits and if the extra year would be worth it. If i do transfer i'll be be majoring in ACCT and FINANCE none of my credits will align with the current course outline. Essentially I would have no credits transferred, althought USYD does have an industry placement program whilst MACQ doesnt and USYD does have more of an active social life (societies) and better industry connections than MACQ. Would the extra year be worth it?

turntaker

HSC
Im currently a 2nd year student at MACQ, having just finished my course year units in the bachelor of applied finance and bachelor of prof accounting. I've been offered a spot a USYD commerce, I want to transfer but the only thing holding me back is my credits and if the extra year would be worth it. If i do transfer i'll be be majoring in ACCT and FINANCE none of my credits will align with the current course outline. Essentially I would have no credits transferred, althought USYD does have an industry placement program whilst MACQ doesnt and USYD does have more of an active social life (societies) and better industry connections than MACQ. Would the extra year be worth it?
I would say not.

bookshelf1

HSC
N/A
I forgot to mention that the MACQ course itself is 4 years whilst the USYD course is 3 years.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Macquarie has the dumbest commerce layout of all universities - they have a commerce degree where the accounting side of it does not meet ICAA subject requirements unless you take a few extra subjects, and their professional accounting and applied finance degrees are basically glorified majors in commerce that other uniersitites offer normally as part of their commerce degree. They're probably making money out of all this confusion which is why they haven't fixed it yet - but every year I see the same crap about comm in macq and differences.

Well heres another difference now, the subjects at Macq aren't even similar enough to warrant a credit transfer lmao.

Not picking on you btw OP, just Macq comm is ridiculous and still hasn't simplified their offering in this day and age.

To answer your question - If NONE are getting transferred then from a time point of view - no it's not worth it - but if you want a chance to get into finance and/or some of the high tier programs and your willing to fork out an extra year at university then yes it can be worth it.

Depends on your wants really - don't let someone else answer a decision like this for you, 1 year of youth is still a lot of time that can't be gotten back, but if your worried about career prospects then Macq in general will still suffice, though USYD has more programs in general (like you mentioned) to get you in the workforce - note that the IPP program is still quite competitive, but if you get 70 average + you'll get something.

I too actually just transferred from UTS to USYD comm, because I knew it was worth it for my personal development/career path - In the end I'll be getting 6/8 credit subject transfers - and for me that was still enough for me to accept the offer, you have to sit down with yourself and list all the benefits and cons of doing each and then determine on your goals and circumstances whether it'll be worth it for you in the end.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)