Transferring from MQ to either USyd/UNSW (1 Viewer)

Darius1

HSC
N/A
Just wanted to ask if anybody has recently transferred from MQ to either USyd or UNSW in a science related course, and what your experience of the shift was like?

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons. I have an opportunity to possibly transfer to a BAdvScience internally at MQ, (in a major that's not completely related to my interest) or transfer to a BSci or BSci(Advanced) at USyd or UNSW in the major I'm looking for.

My 2 biggest concerns are that science at either of those schools will make getting decent grades more difficult. Is there really that much of a difference, or is someone who has a D/HD average at MQ, likely to maintain that at USyd/UNSW with the same study habits and efforts?

My second concern is that neither of those schools are forthcoming about how much of my first year units they'll grant me credit for. I've tried to align as many units as possible in first year, but I don't want to get accepted and then find out I have to repeat more than 50% of 1st year again.

All in all, to anybody who has transferred, do you think it was worth it?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I transferred to Adv sci @UNSW. Not from MQ tho.

No getting decent grades is the same regardless of institution, the only difference is that other people also do well. But that doesn't impact how well you do. So yeah same study and effort.

I thought I'd get around 5 of my subjects but most of them lined up so I got 7 credited. Most of them line up since any first year science degree has the same objectives/subjects.

Yep definitely worth it, very good organised courses.

Darius1

HSC
N/A
Cheers!

Just out of curiosity, were you at a non Go8 uni before?
Also, what did you need to transfer to Adv Sci? I was thinking it might be risky to try to transfer straight into it in case they favour high school leavers, and might be a better idea to transfer to a BSci and then 'upgrade' to the Advanced program internally once I had my foot in the door.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Cheers!

Just out of curiosity, were you at a non Go8 uni before?
Also, what did you need to transfer to Adv Sci? I was thinking it might be risky to try to transfer straight into it in case they favour high school leavers, and might be a better idea to transfer to a BSci and then 'upgrade' to the Advanced program internally once I had my foot in the door.
yes non go8

I'm pretty sure as long as you have a credit wam you have a good chance, personally I had a high distinction GPA at the time. They don't favour high school over non-standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)