Urgent help please!! Transfer from unsw to unsw??? (1 Viewer)

anon1234567

HSC
Hi everyone!!!

I hope that your university lives are going well so far. So recently, I've faced a few dilemmas as follows:

- I'm doing software engineering at unsw right now and I really don't like my degree
- Although I've gotten either D/HDs for 5/8 of my engineering courses, I am struggling to pass my computer science courses and I do not enjoy them at all
- Although I applied to do an internal program transfer from software engineering to psychology, my application got rejected (because I had a WAM of 69.63 since my computer science courses screwed me over, and they wanted a 75 WAM :(
For reference: my atar was 92.35
Now, what should my next step be? Help me please. I will forever be in your debt. Should I:
1. Apply through UAC to transfer from software engineering to psychology or psychological science (is this even possible??? I've heard many rumours that for internal transfers UAC just ignores your application and they just tell you to transfer internally. Since I've already tried to do that and my application was rejected, then I'm screwed. Another rumour that I've heard is that if you apply through UAC to go to the same uni for a different degree, they only look at your WAM, so I wouldn't get in psychology but I would get in to psychological science. The last rumour that I heard was that since I'm still in first year, they'll take the wam or atar, depending on whatevers better. Which one of these rumours are true? Pls help.)

2. Change my current computing courses to psychology courses (whilst staying in my current degree), boost my WAM, then formally apply for psychology or psychological science? This seems like the most risk free option but I dunno.

3. Give up all hope and transfer to another degree through UAC to another university? The reason I'm opposed to this is that it took me a lot of time to adjust to UNSW life since I'm really introverted, and new experiences are scary for me.

So which option should I choose guys? Please help me out. I will be eternally grateful to you all.

Thank you so much, and I hope that all of your future aspirations in uni are fulfilled.

ct94

HSC
Hey! Not too sure about UAC so can't help you there. Option 2 sounds problematic only because it is not official until you've been accepted... Option 3 is plausible because you're still in your first year, so its easiest to swap to a new uni then. Of course it's still possible later onwards but just easier beforehand.

I can only offer advice in regards to the Psychology part. In order to really do psychology you need to get into Psychology Honours Year, of which you can via 1) B Psych, 2) B Psychological Science 3) B Science Majoring in Psych. Of course it's easier if you were in B Psych already to get into the honours year, but either way, you need a minimum WAM of 75 in your psych subjects to get into honours anyway. So even if you were in B Psych, you're not guaranteed honours unless you've got a minimum 75 WAM. Since you can't get into B Psych, you could transferring into B Science and major in Psych, smash those Psych subjects and get that 75 WAM to get into the Honours year. Honours Year is the end goal here.

Good luck!

anon1234567

HSC
Thank you so much for your advice user ct94 :) I hope that you have a bright future, and good luck with your studies!!! Does anyone else have any advice for me? I just want to get as many opinions from as many people as I can before I make my final decision.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
im in the same boat as you
first year student rn
wanting to transfer to commerce
i got rejected through IPT with a wamof 74.83.. so sad
i just applied for UAC
so hopefully i get an offer from main round

anon1234567

HSC
Lmao yeah I talked to you on reddit a few days earlier when I saw your post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)