Stay at USYD or move to UTS? (1 Viewer)

Sherlock

HSC
N/A
Hi there,

I'm currently going into my 2nd year of a media and comm degree at USYD. I applied for transfer into law at USYD but I was unsuccessful.

However, I applied for UTS law and was successful. I accepted the offer, but haven't enrolled (yet).

I was wondering, should I stay at USYD and try again for law OR should I move to UTS and try to transfer from UTS to USYD? My ATAR was only 90.25. According to USYD, external students need an ATAR of 99 or a GPA in the HD range to be competitive. Conversely, students at USYD need an ATAR of 99 or a WAM of 77 to be competitive.

Even if I got a GPA in the HD range, I'm not sure if it'll be enough to guarantee me an offer.

Thanks!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on whether you want to study at USYD more or you want to study law more.

If you transfer to UTS Communications/Law, it's probably a massive hassle to transfer back to USYD Law from there (not because of the difficulty but issues with credit recognition). Also, you definitely don't need a HD GPA (which is a 4.0/4.0 and that means you must get HD in every single subject you do) to externally transfer to USYD Law.

If you stay at USYD, you'll be attempting a transfer to undergraduate Law for 3rd year. At that point, I think you might as well do the JD degree (postgrad law) after finishing your undergraduate media and comm.

I feel that these are the advisable options:
- If you want to study law more than you want to study at USYD, just transfer to UTS Law. Not sure if it's worth transferring back.
- If you want to study at USYD more than you want to study law, finish off your comm & media degree at USYD. Then do the JD (postgraduate law).

But it's a decision for you to make. If you want to transfer to UTS Law and try to transfer back to USYD Law, it's obviously an option.

Sherlock

HSC
N/A
Depends on whether you want to study at USYD more or you want to study law more.

If you transfer to UTS Communications/Law, it's probably a massive hassle to transfer back to USYD Law from there (not because of the difficulty but issues with credit recognition). Also, you definitely don't need a HD GPA (which is a 4.0/4.0 and that means you must get HD in every single subject you do) to externally transfer to USYD Law.

If you stay at USYD, you'll be attempting a transfer to undergraduate Law for 3rd year. At that point, I think you might as well do the JD degree (postgrad law) after finishing your undergraduate media and comm.

I feel that these are the advisable options:
- If you want to study law more than you want to study at USYD, just transfer to UTS Law. Not sure if it's worth transferring back.
- If you want to study at USYD more than you want to study law, finish off your comm & media degree at USYD. Then do the JD (postgraduate law).

But it's a decision for you to make. If you want to transfer to UTS Law and try to transfer back to USYD Law, it's obviously an option.
Thanks for the advice.

So if I don't need a GPA in the HD range, what would I need? The USYD website states: "Experience suggests you will require an ATAR above 99 or a Tertiary Grade Point Average in the High Distinction range to be competitive to transfer into Combined Law. If you are a current Sydney student the weighted average mark (WAM) will be used. An ATAR above 99 or a WAM above 77 will be competitive." http://sydney.edu.au/law/fstudent/undergrad/faq.shtml

BLind95

HSC
Dude, stay at USYD.

Do JD once you have completed your undergraduate.

My mate got accepted into JD with a 97 ATAR and 74 WAM.

zhu0902

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)