Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On the topic of University Transfers...

I'll stab ya
    HSC
    N/A
    I know, but I meant does that 1.0 refer to that fact that weve been at uni for 1 year or that we've done 1 year equivalent of uni. (Im assuming the only options on the application are 0.5 or 1.0?)

LLB (Hons)
    HSC
    N/A
    acmilan: unless you're transferring mid-year, if you're transferring for NEXT year (ie you will complete semester 2), you write 1.0 FTE.

I'll stab ya
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigid
    acmilan: unless you're transferring mid-year, if you're transferring for NEXT year (ie you will complete semester 2), you write 1.0 FTE.
    ok, thanks Frigid

HSC
    Thanks for that.

For stuff that needs personal statements do you still fill out the apply through UAC and send the personal statement to the uni separately??

But great post....cleared things up alot.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigid
    On the topic of University Transfers...

Introduction

For some university students, the course they are currently in might not be the course they want to stay in, due to a variety of reasons: change of interests, incompatibility with time restraints, to transfer from a fee-paying place to a HECS place, originally desired another course but failed to achieve the UAI cutoff. For these students, a transfer during university might be the way to go (the other option being postgraduate study).

-------------------------------------------------------

The Applications Process

To transfer to another university course is a relatively simple affair, similar to applying for university after HSC. There are two possible processes: internal transfers (which are declining in use, and are now limited to dropping degrees, such as from Commerce Law to straight Commerce) and external transfers (done through UAC or its interstate equivalent).

For the former, inquire with your faculty, fill out the relevant paperwork and have it authorised.

The latter involves a NRSL (Non-Recent School Leaver) undergraduate application to UAC (University Admissions Centre). This is similar to the Recent School Leave university application (ie. the ones the HSC kids use), using Apply-By-Web. Alternatively, you can use the form in the 'commercial' version of the UAC guide (rrp $15.00 at all good newsagents).

Before you begin applying, remember to check the UAC guide or the relevant university faculty website to see: a) are there opportunities to transfer to the desired course(s); b) what are the requirements of transfer other than UAI/tertiary marks? Some transfers require Personal Statements/Questionnaires (eg. transfer into B.Laws at UTS). Again, remember check the faculty website.

The application opens in early August (like the HSC applications) and closed on 30 September. However the UAC guide is still open for late applications (until the 29 October) with a late fee charge of $82. Then there will be another late period with a higher late fee charge.

The cost of a NRSL application is $35 (inc. GST). Remember to print out your receipt.

Fill out all the relevant information in your application slowly and doublecheck each time (the browser will force you to check and save before you proceed). Remember to note down your UAC Number (eg 95100xxxx) and your PIN (the digits of your birthday as DDMM, for example 1110 for October 11).

For the entry FTE (Full Time Equivalence), select the number of years to the end of the year. That is, if you are in first year, and are filling out the application during August, you write 1.0 years (two semesters) completed, instead of 0.5 years (one semester). This is because, by the time the UAC assessor comes to collect your data from your university, you will have had completed two semesters of study already.

Another point to note is that Apply-By-Web does not support the Mozilla Firefox browser. boo

Fill out your preferences from the course codes in the UAC guide in the order of preference. It doesn't matter if you get it wrong the first time around, because there is always opportunity to re-login and change things. Remember to print out your application summary for future reference.

Your application will be processed by UAC and an offer will be made based on a similar system to the HSC applications, ie. supply-and-demand. So a course which is accepting 50 NRSL students next year (and only based on UAI/tertiary marks) will offer to the 50 NRSL applicants with the highest UAI/tertiary marks. Again I stress, it's very similar to the good ol' HSC application.

An offer will be made the same time the Main Round of Offers are released (which is roughly 19th January). You can then use the UAC website to check/accept your offers. Some institutions may have online enrolment, while others need you to physically rock-up and enrol. Again, very similar to HSC application.

---------------------------------------------------------

How are my marks calculated and weighted?

As mentioned previously, most transfers rank applicants based on UAI and tertiary marks, with a 50:50 weighting.

In terms of tertiary marks, they will usually look at your GPA (Grade Point Average). Using the conversion table (see Schedule 3 in attached .pdf file), they will turn your GPA into an Selection Rank out of 100 (similar to UAI). The final NRSL Index is thus calculated:

NRSL Index = (UAI + Selection Rank)/2
    (the average of UAI and Selection Rank)

Then once UAC have every applicant's NRSL indices, it will rank them and make offers based on the number of places offered.

---------------------------------------------------------

Okay, then how do I calculate my GPA (Grade Point Average?)

GPA is the weighted average measurement of your university grades. It would be unfair to simply average your grades without giving weight to their credit values (so say you got High Distinction in a 2cp subject, but got a Credit in a 10cp subject, it would be hardly fair to say you got a Distinction average).

So, how do we calculate GPA?

First, write down the marks and credit point values of each subject you do.

Then convert each mark into a grade. Usually this is done by working out which bracket your mark falls in:

0 - 49 = Fail
    50 - 64 = Pass
    65 - 74 = Credit
    75 - 84 = Distinction
    85 - 100 = High Distinction.

Now, convert your grades into grade points based on the following:

Fail = 0
    Pass Conceded = 3
    Pass = 4
    Credit = 5
    Distinction = 6
    High Distinction = 7.

Your GPA is calculated by:
    GPA = Σ(grade point for subject multiply by credit point value of subject) divided by Σ(credit point of subject). In the language of 2-unit General Maths, this means:

GPA = ( GP1 x CP1 + GP2 x CP2 + GP3 x CP3 + ... + GP'n' x CP'n' ) / ( CP1 + CP2 + CP3 + ... + CP'n' )

Still don't get it? Here's an example:

Now you try it for yourself

--------------------------------------------------------

What is WAM (Weighted-Average Mark)?

WAM (Weighted-Average Mark) is a very similar concept to GPA, except it does without the use of grade points. Instead, the final mark (FM) is used in lieu of the GP value. Therefore, the formula will be:

WAM = ( FM1 x CP1 + FM2 x CP2 + FM3 x CP3 + ... + FM'n' x CP'n') / CP1 + CP2 + CP3 + ... + CP'n').

Example:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay Frig, I've got my GPA, what do I do to predict whether I get in?

Use the NRSL Index formula I mentioned 2 sections ago, along with your GPA and UAI. Let's get back to Fred's example:

NRSL Index = (UAI + Selection Rank)/2 , GPA = 6 , UAI = 99.10

Okay, first work out the Selection Rank, based on Fred's GPA:
    Look at the Schedule 3 of attached .pdf file. What is Fred's GPA? 6. Fred has 'Attempted 1.0-2.99 FTE' (1 to < 2 years Full Time Equivalence), so look at the 3rd column of numbers. Where GPA = 6.00 - 6.09 and 1.0 - 2.99 FTE intersects is Fred's Selection Rank.

Based on the table and information, Fred's Selection Rank is 96.

Go back our NRSL Index formula and plug in Selection Rank = 96, UAI = 99.10:

NRSL Index = ( 96 + 99.10 ) / 2 = 97.55

Voila! that's all you need to work out your NRSL Index.

*gives everyone a pat on the back for being a Band-6 ace in General Maths*

Now, IF your NRSL Index is one of the highest 'x' number of NRSL Indices, with 'x' being the number of places offered to NRSL applicants, you should made an offer. Usually, the NRSL Index cutoff for any given course is lower than the UAI cutoff.

As a general guide, for all you people wanting to transfer into Law (*admit it*), the NRSL Index for UNSW is roughly 96.xx. Unlike the UAI cutoffs, the NRSL Index cutoffs are not published (though we might be able to access them through the Freedom of Information Act, right Laz? ). Oh, and as a general rule, law faculties do not accept any NRSL applicants with more than 1 year worth of full time equivalence (ie your only chance to transfer into law is at the end of first year; miss out, then try for graduate law).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Frig, if I transfer what happens to my HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme Debt)?

Under the new HECS-HELP scheme, things for us HSC-03ers will be roughly the same. Since our original HECS liability started before 2005, rises in HECS contribution will not affect us, regardless if we transfer or not.
    However, there is a change of nomenclature: from 1 June 2006, our accumulated HECS debt will be known as an accumulated HELP (Higher Education Loan Programme) debt. Aside from a change of name and increased minimum threshold before compulsory repayments, there isn't much of a difference as far as I know.

Refer to the 'Information for Commonwealth supported students 2005' booklet you would have received in the mail, or http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/ for more details.

Interestingly, according to Table 1, page 20 of the aforementioned booklet, the Commonwealth only funds $1472 per EFTSL for Law students - what's with that? We law students pay the highest HECS contribution band, ($8k for post-2005 students) yet we receive the lowest funding. In-bloody-equitable I say.

Update 28/10: a friend of mine who is doing a fee-paying degree wants to transfer to a HECS place next year. because he has not had a previous HECS debt, he will not be considered as a pre-2005 HECS student and will therefore be subjected to higher HECS fees.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Links, gimme links!

UAC (Universities Admission Centre)
    UAC: Course Search - search for course codes, information about courses, admission requirements etc
    Higher Education Contribution Scheme
    Faculty of Law, UNSW: Transfer Applicants
    Faculty of Law, ANU: Undergraduate Admissions
    Faculty of Law, UTS
    Faculty of Law, USyd: Transfer Applicants
    Faculty of Law, MacqU: Undergraduate Study
    School of Law, UWS -___- how appropriate. otherwise, the current sub-webpage is here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion

I know this has been a very long and biased article but hey, I'm applying for transfer too, so I kinda know what's going on.

Remember, if you don't make your transfer, don't be disheartened. Learning is a lifelong journey (alliteration), so don't be sad if you can't make law/medicine/nuclear physics at first go - there's always opportunity in the future if you seek it.

I want to ask if my GPA at first whole year is 4.5 out of 7, Is it possible to do transfer?
    Class of '04

In the prefect world, we will never know, we will never need to face the real world alone.

I know love will find a way, anyway I go, I hope, if you are there beside me.Like dark, turning in today, somehow it comes true, love will then find you, love will find a way!

HSC
    Please don't quote that post in the future
    Bachelor of Business (Accounting) / Bachelor of Science in IT (IBT) - UTS (2006)
    Moderator - UTS & University (General)

OneStopGrad

HSC
    thanks so much for posting this, it cleared it all up a LOT.
    and, seeing as how my selection rank is a LOT higher then my uai was I think I might actually get the transfer I want.
    *jumps with joy*
    chelzmalee ^dances around in fairy costumes for a living
    absolution* Youre too nice Why dont you want to fight me? I like you
    BreaKing i heart ladybec
    dani_danoz Me too
    sly fly thank u ladybec shes completely right
    grag balbrady LadyBec is an impudent wench
    jumb You're a freak
    markmooks <3 to LadyBec and her general pinkness. <3 pinkness.
    LABOR|GC|GLITTER|HELLO KITTY

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by psych_girl
    I want to ask if my GPA at first whole year is 4.5 out of 7, Is it possible to do transfer?
    as has been said many times: depends on what your uai is, what course youre transferring to, what uni ure transferring to, what your bra size is.

HSC
    Hey guys,

I am not sure where to ask this, so here we go.

I have deferred half a year of uni (Because I am applying for another course for 2006 semester one through uac) Well, do people like me normally get offers during early/prem. rounds?

Thanks!
    Class of 2004

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Hmm, not sure entirely, but natstar was a deferee (1 year) and she got her offer in the main round (I think, correct me if im wrong natstar)
    B Commerce (UNSW), GradDipCA
    Senior Manager - Ernst & Young

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A
    What if someone wanted to transfer to a course say BMedScience/BEng (double degree) at UTS which is UAI of 86.5 (2005) required. And say the persons' UAI was 88 (obtained 2003), would they qualify to transfer through UAC and into the course from a similar degree? Likewise, BScience to BMedScience at the same institution?

I have a friend who did Marine Science and can't transfer to MedScience and can't even transfer to BScience (only allowed to transfer to BArt THEN BScience) yet he has the UAI.
    Last edited by bscienceboi; 28 Sep 2005 at 7:39 PM.

Premium Member
    HSC
    N/A
    It would depend on the university institution i'd say, most uni's arent as free form as MQ i guess

Cadet
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by AsyLum
    most uni's arent as free form as MQ i guess
    What does this person mean by that

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by M_86
    What does this person mean by that
    Macquarie isn't as strict when it comes to transfers. If you have a GPA of like 2.8 they'll slip you into a course that required a GPA of 3.0.

But that doesn't make Macquarie an easy Uni. By far really...

Cadet
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by bscienceboi
    Macquarie isn't as strict when it comes to transfers. If you have a GPA of like 2.8 they'll slip you into a course that required a GPA of 3.0.

But that doesn't make Macquarie an easy Uni. By far really...
    O is this for internal transfers or external as well.

Premium Member
    HSC
    N/A
    External transfers are handled by UAC

Internal are handled by the respective universities.

bsci: I was thinking more about the structure/restrictions of MQ transfers, in that inter-faculty transfers are very much a possibility unlike other uni's i've heard about.

Cadet
    HSC
    Not true actually.
    Internal transfers and external transfers at newcstle university are handled by uac.
    Which isnt very good for me.
    Dam UAI, pulling me down.

HSC
    Come to UOW, its easy as anything to transfer internally!
    Show business is a hideous bitch goddess.

Up the mighty red V hipsta_jess's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by M_86
    Not true actually.
    Internal transfers and external transfers at newcstle university are handled by uac.
    Which isnt very good for me.
    Dam UAI, pulling me down.
    I wasn't aware we had internal transfers, only external? I thought the only internal "transfers" were for those with a double degree wishing to switch to a single, which as far as I knew was handled within the uni..

EDIT: spelling errors.
    Last edited by hipsta_jess; 5 Oct 2005 at 3:35 PM.

Hey Frigid

The credit point business, they say you need one year of full time study at university to be able to transfer. That is equivalent to 48 credit points for most unis? At Macquarie a full year of study is 24 credit points. So does that mean you need to do 2 years at Macquarie to accumulated 48 cp to be able to transfer?

I only have 23 credit points =( coz of Japanese.. i might have to do summer schoool

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by yesdear11
    Hey Frigid

The credit point business, they say you need one year of full time study at university to be able to transfer. That is equivalent to 48 credit points for most unis? At Macquarie a full year of study is 24 credit points. So does that mean you need to do 2 years at Macquarie to accumulated 48 cp to be able to transfer?

I only have 23 credit points =( coz of Japanese.. i might have to do summer schoool
    You need whatever is equivelant to 1 Full time load at your school. So in macqueerie, you'd need 24 credit points to transfer.
    Also, if applying through UAC, summer school won't count

Premium Member
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by yesdear11
    Hey Frigid

Incorrect.

I transferred through UAC doing 11 cp + 9 cp during last year.

You can transfer, it depends on if there is a quota, and whether the demand outstrips the places.

And why not transfer internally?

HSC
    1st yr + UAI depending on the uni/course.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by myuechen
    Hi i am a second year student looking to transfer univeristy. I was wondering if they take my 1st years result or sencond year results to calcualate my marks.

Thanks in advance
    both .

HSC

help with transfer

Hi i am a second year student looking to transfer univeristy. I was wondering if they take my 1st years result or sencond year results to calcualate my marks.

Thanks in advance

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information