GPA Average and transfer to unis (1 Viewer)

leathaface

I recently recieved a PDH file (which was found here in BOS board) about the scheme from transfering to unis from TAFE. That file was for Southern Cross University.

Basically, the file talked about how if you have a certain GPA Average, it will convert into a UAI mark. It was very high for this Southern Cross uni. But that is not the uni I have applied for.

So, would this GPA Average scheme be different in different universities?
For example, a GPA average of 6.25 can get you about 88 UAI in Southern Cross, so would that be the same for other universities?

I need information on this scheme for
UNSW
UMAQ
USYD

if anyone has it... thanks

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
As far as I'm aware (I'm not sure if you are a uni student or whatever, lol, so I dunno how much you know)

p-4
c-5
d-6
hd-7

a GPA of 5 (ie straight credits) converts to a UAI of 89.

(UAI+GPA conversion)/2
=ranking

eg, GPA=5, UAI=75

(89+75)/2
=82
If this figure is above the cutoff for the course, you are in.

leathaface

hmm ok... thanks, but does this vary depedning on what course you are doing? I applied as Certificate IV, so a credit credit average, which is a 5 you said... would that still be a UAI of 89? And this is applied to the way UAC makrs your score yeah?

BTW I've applied as a non-year 12 applicant.

and where can I find this information?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
leathaface... it's applicable across the board for every institution so you're correct :).

leathaface

thanks alot... wow... a straight 5 can get you a UAI of 89 regardless of what certificate you're doing??? That' s really good...

Can you guys tell me where you got this information from?

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
It doesnt really work like that. The calculation is right, but the cutoffs are different, eg the unsw law uai cutoff is 99.3, but the nrsl cutoff is about 95.6 IIRC. From that I assume all if not most courses nrsl cutoffs are made in a similar manner.

leathaface

OK OK... I get you guys... all I want to know now is where do I go to find all this information out?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
It will depend on the University and how they choose to recognise TAFE qualifications. Most of the regional Universities will take a Diploma and give you a pass for first year of uni if it's the same degree matter. It is becoming more common for Universities to make you do TAFE for a year and a bit before continuing your studies at the Uni, USQ with their tourism degree is one such example.

What you will find in the coming years with this new training agenda set by the federal government is the blurring of lines between universities (higher education) and TAFEs (Vocational Education) as TAFEs will move into more high end courses and Universities will look into more funding and moving into more vocational courses. You will also notice that schools will be getting in on the act earlier. they have already started this with VET courses (which was nearly unheard of doing if you contemplated going to uni even in 1998).

What all of this means is that you as an individual are unique, each situation is unique, and situations can change daily in the education sector. As a result to give blanket statement like 50/50 or this converts to that would not be accurate as there could be other factors that influence the University on their decision, some of which would be the actual course demand and under what scheme you are going in under.

So try the University websites, find their student handbook/application guides and start reading. If you have problems with the wordings come post a link and we can then try and disect it for you. Otherwise spend a few bucks and call the unis yourself and talk to the admissions officer.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
leathaface... it's applicable across the board for every institution so you're correct :).
sooo pretty much a GPA in a given bachelors degree is worth the same as a GPA in some tafe certificate?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
sooo pretty much a GPA in a given bachelors degree is worth the same as a GPA in some tafe certificate?
no what i mean is that the SCU schedules should apply in the same way across the board.

However, GPA in a bachelors degree is in Schedule 3, whereas GPA in Certificate IV is in Schedule 5 of the document. they have different weightings, of course

leathaface

Can you tell me the way its weighted in Cert IV? Like what GPA average equals what UAI?

I'm aiming for a UAI of 88... (below 89) with my Certificate IV

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
leathaface said:
Can you tell me the way its weighted in Cert IV? Like what GPA average equals what UAI?

I'm aiming for a UAI of 88... (below 89) with my Certificate IV
do you still have the PDF? go check Schedule 5 on page 4

to get a NRSL selection rank of 88 you would need a GPA of 6.50+

leathaface

Well, the PDF file is for Southern Cross uni... but yeah, I'm so far heading for a UAI of 83 to 85 (I don't know my credit points for each course)... which is alright I guess... but then I still have two major exams to do.

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The PDF from SCU applies to all uni's, same system

leathaface

^ Thanks... now all I need is the credit points for each subject that I do at TAFE...

but I can't seem to find it on the TAFE site... does anyone know where it is?

Based on the average I've got so far... which is all credits with one distinction, I'm heading for 80 UAi NON-year 12 applicant... still got 2 exams and two assignments that needs to be marked... so there's still a huge chance.

Another question... I said I didn't do HSC (even though I did last year, but yeah, this year I applied again, but not as year 12 applicant), is there something of a priority for HSC students to get their choices first? Then those who didn't do their HSC?

Last edited:

leathaface

Another question...

Do they give priority for year 12 students over non-year 12 applicants in unis? Or is it just about the UAI?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
leathaface said:
Do they give priority for year 12 students over non-year 12 applicants in unis? Or is it just about the UAI?
hmmm that depends.

see for people transferring from one course in one university to the same course in a different university, there might be a separate admission quota, so the applicants will be judged against the other transferring applicants.

in your case, if you're transferring from a TAFE institution to a uni course, and you know that you are entering the first year of that uni course (ie. no prior advanced standing), then i guess you would be competing with yr 12 students.

however, i don't think there is any special priority between yr 12 students or non-yr 12 students.

leathaface

OK Another question...
How do they really calculate your GPA in TAFE. I can't find any information about Credit Points for my TAFE Modules for Advertising. So how would they come up with an average of my grades...

I know that the formula they use is...
sum of (GXP)/ sum of P

Where G stands for subject grade
P is the value point for each subject

I know my subject grades... well I'm so far credit average. How can i found out about my value point for each subject... Or do they just say... you have 5 credits (5 points) so I divide (5X5)/5? (the /5 being 5 subjects)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
look carefully at the subject outlines that you have been given for the subject... it should tell. otherwise, check on the TAFE website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)