getting into pharmacy (1 Viewer)

dafidav

HSC
i got uai of 91.4

now its no where enough for pharmacy so what do i have to do to be able to transfer to pharmacy

i've heard that if you do med science and finish this degree, then apply for pharmacy, you will get it, is this true??

is it easier to transfer from one uni to another or transfer internally?

because the only med science i can do is at uts

plz help me

im so frustrated

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Just do any science degree and if your marks are high enough after the completion of your first year, transfer to Pharmacy. Alternatively, complete a Science degree (I'm not sure if it HAS to be B Med Sci), then try Pharmacy.

dafidav

HSC
ok

now would it be easier to do a science degree at sydney or could it be any uni??

and if i completed a science a degree, what are the requirements to get into pharmacy then??is it no questions asked or do i have to finish the degree with a certain average??

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well as your uai is under the unsw and usyd cut-off, dont take them off your preference list
I know people who got into usyd med sci with a uai similar to yours, about 91-91.5

They're usually a lot more lenient with people who have already finished a degree. Probably take uai a little bit into consideration along with uni marks (GPA or WAM). So if you don't get it then apply after med sci or sicence

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dafidav said:
ok

now would it be easier to do a science degree at sydney or could it be any uni??

and if i completed a science a degree, what are the requirements to get into pharmacy then??is it no questions asked or do i have to finish the degree with a certain average??
these questions you should be asking the pharmacy/science faculty
but I'm pretty sure they'll take into account your uai (25-50% depends) then the rest being your uni marks. A credit avg should be good enough i reckon. Better confirm with the faculty

dafidav

HSC
how could people get into med science or unsw med science with a 91-91.5 uai

usyd med science cutoff was 94.somthing and unsw was 92.something

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
HECS cut offs are higher. Those who got in with 91-91.5 are FEE paying or maybe they've got EAS scheme.

dafidav

HSC
oh ok

ok lets say i finish my med science degree at either uts or unsw (no chance of usyd as uai too low and i dont have access), would there be a good chance of me getting into pharmacy then with my uai(if they take into consideration my uai)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dafidav said:
how could people get into med science or unsw med science with a 91-91.5 uai

usyd med science cutoff was 94.somthing and unsw was 92.something

because, the stated uai cut-off is only an indicator. I'm pretty sure it's written down somewhere. If you got good science/related to the course) marks then they might let you in
But since 02' i guess the competition has risen alot

Even with adv sci. the cut off was 96. i know ppl on hecs who got in with 93

dafidav

HSC
oh ok

i think i should call the pharmacy department tomorow at usyd

thanx ppl

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
dafidav said:
oh ok

ok lets say i finish my med science degree at either uts or unsw (no chance of usyd as uai too low and i dont have access), would there be a good chance of me getting into pharmacy then with my uai(if they take into consideration my uai)
We cannot make a judgement because we don't know what you're going to get at Uni.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
dafidav said:
i got uai of 91.4

now its no where enough for pharmacy so what do i have to do to be able to transfer to pharmacy

i've heard that if you do med science and finish this degree, then apply for pharmacy, you will get it, is this true??

is it easier to transfer from one uni to another or transfer internally?

because the only med science i can do is at uts

plz help me

im so frustrated

well its easier to transfer internally (by maintaining a credit average).........its harder to transfer externally (u need distinctions).........so go to UTS and do really well and apply for a transfer or just stay at UTS.........i hear its a good uni......

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Survivor39 said:
We cannot make a judgement because we don't know what you're going to get at Uni.
exactly. Why didn't i say that earlier?hmm good point anyway
Just make sure you work your butt off if you don't get in. That way you get to keep all options open (in the case you decide pharm isnt for you)

Linda N

HSC
N/A
I've just called the pharmacy faculty about requirements to transfer to Pharmacy. However, i'm in the same situation as dafidav but with a much lower UAI.

The lady at the pharmacy faculty told me i could get into any course, doesn't have to be medical science course, but try to get at least distinctions in the first year full time tertiary study.

However, she told me to apply for an external transfer, they don't look at ur UAI mark at all, just the ACADEMIC record in your first year full time study. Does this sound accurate?

dafidav

HSC
hey Linda N

did they mention if it would make a difference if you achieved a distinction average in your first year tertiary study at usyd or another uni??

and did you ask about the requirements about the internal transfer from usyd course to pharmacy??

i've tried calling the pharmacy all morning but it has been busy

Linda N

HSC
N/A
I haven't ask about internal transfer coz my uai is quite low to get into a course i wanted to do that intrigues me to achieve distinctions, but i should've asked to get an idea. But if you choose do a course within the same uni, it would be easier to transfer. I think you have to get a least credit average.

I'm going to call again to clarify this.

Last edited:

dafidav

HSC
ok just had a long chat with the lady at the pharmacy department at usyd ( about 40min hhehhehe)

she said there is no favouritism given to any course or any uni prior transferring to pharmacy, ie. you get equal chance of getting into pharmacy at usyd from a transfer regardless if you do a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree

she told me that in order to transfer after 1 full yr of study, you must have a distinction average in order to get a hecs placing in bachelor of pharmacy, this apply to all courses and all uni

she also told me that if you have already completed a degree, then you would only need a high credit average to be able to get into pharmacy, this also apply to all courses and all uni

she also mentioned that there is a master of pharmacy degree which is a graduate degree for people who have already completed a degree already, in this master of pharmacy degree, you only have to do 2 full year study before getting your degree but before you can start this degree, you must comply with the 7 prerequisites

so to sum it up, you can make it into pharmacy from any degree and from any uni

w00t now this really takes a heacy burden off me back

looks like i will be doin med science at uts and hopefully transfer to pharmacy after first year or even after i finish my med science degree

hope this helps some of you thinking about transferring to pharmacy

Linda N

HSC
N/A
I felt relieved too how we could do any degree in any uni. I wanted to do Medical Science at Usyd, nsw or uts. But one thing i'm not sure about is transferring.

The lady told me that if i apply through the UAC for external transfer, they don't use ur UAI, ONLY the academic results in the ur first year full time tertiary study. I hope this is right.

Linda N

HSC
N/A
From what i heard about transferring from Minai and Frigid, the transfer applications based on ur UAI and tertiary marks.

From finishing ur medical science degree in 3 years and then transfer to pharmacy, it would take extra years to be graduate for pharm. Heheh

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dafidav said:
ok just had a long chat with the lady at the pharmacy department at usyd ( about 40min hhehhehe)

she said there is no favouritism given to any course or any uni prior transferring to pharmacy, ie. you get equal chance of getting into pharmacy at usyd from a transfer regardless if you do a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree

she told me that in order to transfer after 1 full yr of study, you must have a distinction average in order to get a hecs placing in bachelor of pharmacy, this apply to all courses and all uni

she also told me that if you have already completed a degree, then you would only need a high credit average to be able to get into pharmacy, this also apply to all courses and all uni

she also mentioned that there is a master of pharmacy degree which is a graduate degree for people who have already completed a degree already, in this master of pharmacy degree, you only have to do 2 full year study before getting your degree but before you can start this degree, you must comply with the 7 prerequisites

so to sum it up, you can make it into pharmacy from any degree and from any uni

w00t now this really takes a heacy burden off me back

looks like i will be doin med science at uts and hopefully transfer to pharmacy after first year or even after i finish my med science degree

hope this helps some of you thinking about transferring to pharmacy
yeh, see.. asking the faculty in question is the best way to go
Just be sure to work your butt off in uni. It's easy to lose motivation if you don't have a defined goal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)