commerce/science to comm/law (1 Viewer)

korry

HSC
N/A
hey is it possible to transfer from a combined commerce/science course to comm/law in 2nd year? I know you can do it if you're doing Commerce, but what about the combined degree?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
korry said:
hey is it possible to transfer from a combined commerce/science course to comm/law in 2nd year?
you can but i ask you: why would you?

i mean if science isn't going to be important, then why bother doing science introductory units in first year com/sci, when it is not going to be credited to your com/law degree anyway?

you might as well stick to straight com and have more com subjects done, credited to your com/law degree.

korry

HSC
N/A
well I was thinking of doing the combined course in case I didn't get the trasnfer to comm/law, then that way I would end up with a double degree instead of a single one

1000words

HSC
korry said:
well I was thinking of doing the combined course in case I didn't get the trasnfer to comm/law, then that way I would end up with a double degree instead of a single one
I still agree with Frigid if you're selecting science just for the sake of it. Even if it might not sound 'glamourous' to your friends at first, it's the end result that is most important (i.e. your desired commerce/law combination) and you'll achieve that sooner if you do more commerce subjects first. You have many goes at transferring into law throughout your undergraduate studies and even if you miss out first time, or second time etc, you'll still be working towards the core subjects of your commerce degree.

I hope that helps!

korry

HSC
N/A
yeah that's a good point. What did you mean by 2nd time? I thought you could only transfer after first year..and if you didn't make it, you can't transfer...or is there another way?

1000words

HSC
korry said:
yeah that's a good point. What did you mean by 2nd time? I thought you could only transfer after first year..
Never! :)

I am certain that you can persist. I think it's not well known because the students themselves take a 'missed out first time, don't try again approach'. Once you're in the university student, you will most likely find that things get quite flexible. This is particularly the case with law degrees where you can pick and choose most of your subjects and do them at any stage of your degree once you have completed the first few basic subjects.

clancy04

I think you are wrong there dude. UNSW and Sydney uni's very strongly emphasise that you can NOT transfer after more than 1 year. Primarily because the applicants timetable would be out of kilter with the people who had entered or transfered a year prior.

"Q: If I don't receive a transfer place, can I try again the following year?

A: No. You can only transfer from a HECS place in another degree to a HECS place in Combined Law after first year. If you do not receive a place, you should complete your first degree and apply for Graduate Law." - 2004 University of Sydney Undergraduate Law Guide. page 5

That sounds pretty fixed to me. However I can see your point. Once strong relationships have been made [or bribes paid] with the lecturers/staff and you have made your determination known, there is always some lee way. Probably only for full-fee students wanting to transfer into a HECS course.

Last edited by a moderator:

claudia_p

HSC
cr05 said:
Once strong relationships have been made [or bribes paid] with the lecturers/staff and you have made your determination know, there is always some lee way. Probably more so for full-fee students wanting to transfer into a HECS course.
that doesn't actually make sense

I mean, if you were a full-fee paying student wanting to transfer into HECS, you would be wanting to pay LESS money. Thus, 'paying bribes' would defeat the whole purpose of it, wouldn't it? Unless you were referring to non-monetary modes of bribery, but your post doesn't seem to reflect that position.

:)

Last edited:

1000words

HSC
cr05 said:
"Q: If I don't receive a transfer place, can I try again the following year?

A: No. You can only transfer from a HECS place in another degree to a HECS place in Combined Law after first year. If you do not receive a place, you should complete your first degree and apply for Graduate Law." - 2004 University of Sydney Undergraduate Law Guide. page 5
That seems pretty clear cut then; although I don't think one's timetable would be too out of whack by getting in the second time round. It must be a university policy rather than it being 'impossible' to do. I would still try to get in during the undergraduate years to at least have 1) some law subjects credited as electives for your commerce degree and 2) to complete your commerce degree sooner to undertake your law degree (with commerce subjects to be credited towards the law degree).

Best of luck!

clancy04

Thanks David, great tips!. Again!
By the way, do you think an application for transfer from say a BCom to a BCom/LLB could be governed by a reference. I ask this because I was amazingly offered a part-time job by a very high-flying lawyer in a powerful law firm. This person has great influence in legal circles and they might be able to give me a reference in the future. Do you think the people who determine the transfers would take this into consideration...particularly when this lawyer was once a lecturer at both UNSW and USyd? Or is it the case that such transfers are purely based on the 50% UAI/50% GPA criteria and are absolutely inflexible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
cr05 said:
Thanks David, great tips!. Again!
By the way, do you think an application for transfer from say a BCom to a BCom/LLB could be governed by a reference. I ask this because I was amazingly offered a part-time job by a very high-flying lawyer in a powerful law firm. This person has great influence in legal circles and they might be able to give me a reference in the future. Do you think the people who determine the transfers would take this into consideration...particularly when this lawyer was once a lecturer at both UNSW and USyd? Or is it the case that such transfers are purely based on the 50% UAI/50% GPA criteria and are absolutely inflexible?
Unfortunately, I think both UNSW and USyd are absolutely inflexible, and rely solely on academic grades for their external transfers

I know UTS have personal statements or something similar though

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
it seems pretty stupid to me since science and law are heaps different. once you get to uni you'll see how no one can be arsed to put in more effort than necessary, especially when you're just after a few more letters in your B.Com(/B.Whatever)
but nah dude, if you just want the combined degree why don't you do straight commerce in 1st year, and then apply for a transfer into combined law or combined science.. that way all of your 1st year units will count towards your degree

you don't want your friends to all graduate in 3 or 5 years time and you having to stay an extra semester cos you spent a few hours here and there putting on lab coats and unattractive goggles

Lainee

HSC
cr05 said:
I was amazingly offered a part-time job by a very high-flying lawyer in a powerful law firm. This person has great influence in legal circles and they might be able to give me a reference in the future.
Wow... think you could find a way to get me a job there too? :p ;)

clancy04

I know I can't believe it either...never before has this phrase rung truer: 'It is not what you know; it is who you know.'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)