misleading transfer theory (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
they say for NRSL they take your UAI and your uni marks and divide that by 2 to get your 'new' UAI.

however in real life situations. this is not the case
my friend got uai of 77 and did 1 year of business at UWS last year and managed to get an above credit average. He was accepted into B Commerce at UNSW via uac this year.

i have another friend who got a UAI of 64 and went to Ultimo Tafe to do Dip in Business accounting.... which was a 1 year course. Then this year he got accepted into B Business at UTS (city)...

finally and not least i haf another friend with a uai below 50 who also went Ultimo tafe last year and hes got a Diploma in IT (Network Engineering) with a distinction average and got into B info sys/ B Business Info Tech at UNSW

so looking at these situations it seems like they dont consider the UAI when you have studied at tafe...

so all you TAFERS out there dont worry about your UAI.. they wont look at it..
im not sure about uni though but my friend got into UNSW Commerce with 77 uai and above credit average !!!! which means u dont realli need to study hard to get into your desired course

peace out ^^

shannonm

HSC
N/A
hint for the genius: NRSL cutoffs are DIFFERENT to uai cutoffs.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Dingo2004 said:
yeah they say the NRSL cut offs are generally higher than RSL cut offs
but it seems to be lower :p
Well they aren't really comparable
ie, in the past, the USyd Law NRSL cutoff has been 96.2 whereas the RSL cutoff has been 99.6

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
... said:
is there a list for the NRSL cut off for all the uni courses minai????
Nah, the uni's don't like giving that information out really, let alone publish them.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
NRSL cutoffs tend to be lower, not higher. They are very hard to come by. You'll have enough trouble even finding someone who knows what the NRSL cutoff really is at UNSW admin, then those who do say that the uni doesn't release them. I rang up USyd a few years ago and they gave the cutoffs to me right away.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
but the general rule if you are a commencing uni student wishing to transfer to another uni is either credit or distinction average for the first yr?

would they allow u to transfer after only one semester if the courses were similar, ie from science at uts to science at either macq/syd/nsw??

i want to study psychology - damn uts

^___^
HSC
MQ allows mid semester transfer
i know one guy that transferred from uts to mq half way through last yr, but thats cos MQ offers internal transfer too after 1semester
ring up the unis and ask

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
ok thanks

why dont uts offer any psy subjects? but im not to fussed...hopefully i can transfer or maybe ill like doing science at uts

theone123

blue essence
HSC
it all seems very hard to believe, only credit average????

must be more than that.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
well they would place more emphasis on a completed tertiary diploma than on your uai.
i had a friend with a similar situation as dingo listed, low uai and made it into a 90+ course.

as for the intra uni transfers :confused:

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Dingo2004 said:
my friend got uai of 77 and did 1 year of business at UWS last year and managed to get an above credit average. He was accepted into B Commerce at UNSW via uac this year.
Sorry for bumping this up, but I just want to say something regarding the above situation.

You said your friend got an above credit average and a UAI of 77. Lets say his/her GPA was 5.5, which i heard is equivalent to a 93 UAI. That means 93+77/2 = 85. The 2005 RSL cut off for B Commerce at UNSW is 95.00. Thats 10 points above the NRSL cut off your friend got. I believe thats quite a big difference between UNSW's RSL and NRSL cutoffs and from what I heard, the B Commerce course is pretty competitive. Is this right?

Would help a lot if someone who knows more about transfers to explain this.

I'm asking this because I hope to transfer to B Business at UTS. The 2005 cut off is 90.15. My UAI was 74.85 and my GPA for first semester this year was 5.5.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Rayanaldo said:
You said your friend got an above credit average and a UAI of 77. Lets say his/her GPA was 5.5, which i heard is equivalent to a 93 UAI. That means 93+77/2 = 85. The 2005 RSL cut off for B Commerce at UNSW is 95.00. Thats 10 points above the NRSL cut off your friend got. I believe thats quite a big difference between UNSW's RSL and NRSL cutoffs and from what I heard, the B Commerce course is pretty competitive. Is this right?

Would help a lot if someone who knows more about transfers to explain this.

I'm asking this because I hope to transfer to B Business at UTS. The 2005 cut off is 90.15. My UAI was 74.85 and my GPA for first semester this year was 5.5.
As Minai has mentioned many times before, NRSL entry to UNSW Commerce takes into account the higher of your UAI or GPA.

in addition, UTS would take into account your personal statement, although the extent and weighting of which i don't know.

if you're interested, you may want explore the option of throwing a freedom of information application at UTS Business Faculty.

hasterz

HSC
Frigid said:
UNSW Commerce takes into account the higher of your UAI or GPA.
so a person with even a UAI of 60 can make transfer into this course?

this seems a little strange

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
How likely is a student with a uai of 60 going to get a D average?

I think that answers your question.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UAI != IQ
UAI == your ability to regurgitate a year of the same essays and formulas.

UNI == your ability to learn a course in 3 weeks :p

kaylz

HSC
Sorry to ask what must be a really dumb question but just what is NRSL? I really need to find out how this transfer thing works. My UAI won't get me into any decent courses, but I've heard that you can transfer from one low UAI degree to a higher one. Does this have to be within the same faculty? I have no idea how this system works. Would even pay someone to explain to me the uni entry system. PM plz:uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)